PDA

View Full Version : How long for Paroxtene/ Paxil to work

antomax
28-10-10, 17:01
It's day 20 today on the medication and my anxiety is been worse since starting it. I'm wondering how long it takes for the med to work.
I'm on 12.5 mg paxil cr and honestly after reading all this horror stories of paxil I'm really scared it would ruin my health and make things way worse.
also I'm losing weight, I lost about 7 pounds since I started it which is alot.

Any advice please. I'm new to all this

Rennie1989
28-10-10, 17:49
I used to be on Seroxat and it worked wonders for me. For me it started working almost straight away but it's different for other people. I say give it another week (they say give 2-4 weeks for the meds to start working) and if you see no improvement go back to the doctors and try a new drug.

BubbleBonce
28-10-10, 18:42
I think the anxiety from starting Paroxetine can be terrible. Day 20 is still pretty early. Even 4 weeks isn't a long time, I would give it 8 weeks and even then you won't be getting the full effect.

Hope it calms down for you soon.

Bubble

Vixxy
28-10-10, 19:45
I found that after week 4 the extra anxiety it was causing had waned and the benefits were starting to appear.
You're at a stage now where each day will be better and better :)

antomax
28-10-10, 22:33
I used to be on Seroxat and it worked wonders for me. For me it started working almost straight away but it's different for other people. I say give it another week (they say give 2-4 weeks for the meds to start working) and if you see no improvement go back to the doctors and try a new drug.

What else can I try, I already been on lexapro, zoloft....
lexapro did nothing for me, I had a horrible side effects from zoloft.
Paxil was my last resort, I never wanted to take it because of what I read on it.

BubbleBonce
28-10-10, 22:49
I don't think you've given this med a chance....

Rennie1989
29-10-10, 07:27
OK, I wasn't aware of that, but if you're still not experiencing an improvement within a week or so what is the benefits of taking them?

Vixxy
29-10-10, 11:20
Doctors will advise you wait 4-6 weeks to get the benefits of an AD. It can take up to 8 weeks to feel the full benefits. So stick with them.
As for the weight loss, this is more likely due to you not eating enough even if you think you are. I lost about 20lbs, and I've been gaining the weight back thanks to seroxat helping my anxiety. I'm now nearly at my original weight.
You need to give these pills a few more weeks to get them into your system.

antomax
09-11-10, 05:58
I just had a doctor's appt today and he increased the dosage to 25 mg from 12.5 mg.
I have been on the 12.5 mg for 30 days and did not see any improvment so I'm giving it some more time to work, I'm just a little nervous about the increase of dosage.
any experience??