PDA

View Full Version : has anyone ever had success on prozac ?

andrew england 2
13-03-06, 15:00
i am presently cleaning st johns wort out of my system and the doc wants me to start on citamropal but the more i read of this drug and hellish side effects for the 1st few wks makes me wonder if i could cope with them.

Has anyone ever been on prozac and had success with it ?

All replies welcome

thank u

andrew

Alexandra
13-03-06, 15:17
Hi Andrew,

My first anti depressant was prozac, i did'nt stay on them for very long (sorry can't remember for how long) as i had bad side affects such as shaking & feeling like a complete zombie.

Take Care

Alex

Many People Will Walk
In & Out Of Your Life
But Only True Friends
Will Leave Footprints
In Your Heart

Robertc160882
13-03-06, 15:24
Hi Andrew,

I was on Prozac years ago I did find success on them but I believe they make your behaviour more impulsive so if you are thinking of taking tablets you will. Most doctors now days just go for ssri’s as they are the safer option. I also found them to be sleepier than ssri’s that is my personal opinion

Robert

giddy
13-03-06, 16:09
Hello Andrew
Sorry, don't know about Prozac, but I have a friend who takes Citamropal and has had no major side effects. She said she felt tired for a couple of weeks and that was all. She is still taking them now and is so much better.
Take Care
Helen

maggs
13-03-06, 16:37
Hiya Andrew

Two of my friends take Prozac and they are doing fine on it. One had side-effects for the first couple of weeks, while the other didn't.

Can i ask if you found St John's Wort helped?. I have been thinking of trying it.

Take Care
Maggs

darkangel
13-03-06, 17:35
Hi Andrew

I was on Prozac for 3 years. Apart from feeling a bit more hungry than usual the only real side effect I found was bad PMS ! So thats one side effect that wont affect you ! LOL !

Speak to your doctor again and discuss both meds. Remember that although people get side effects it may not happen to you - and a word of warning - DO NOT READ THE LEAFLET !

Take care for now

Darkangel

........life is for living not just for surviving

nomorepanic
13-03-06, 18:42
I took Prozac for nearly a year and whilst it didn't touch the panic attacks it really lifted my mood and sorted the depression out.

Don't remember any bad side effects on starting or stopping it.

Try these as well...

Prozac/fluoxetine
Prozac / Fluoxetine questions (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1518)
Prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=778)
Fluoxetine 20mg (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3989)
Prescribed wrong meds?/ Prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3363)
fluoxetine/prozac (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1958)

Nicola

Piglet
13-03-06, 18:54
Yeah same here as Nic.

Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
"Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

Friend30
13-03-06, 19:53
Hi Andrew, im quite sure prozac are an SSRI.Haven't taken them myself but have heard nothing but good about them from friends whose used them.

Lydia x x

andrew england 2
13-03-06, 20:21
thank u to everyone who replied :-)

Ma Larkin
15-03-06, 10:59
Hi Andrew, I went to the doctors last night. I was on Clompiramine but they didn't do anything for me. He has now put me on Fluoxetine Hydrochloride a.k.a. Prozac. I'm to take 1 x 20mg capsule a day, advised to take it in the morning because the doctor said it might keep me awake! I was surprised at that as I expected it to have a sedative effect. I've got 2 months supply then I'm to go see the doctor again to see how I'm going on. I just wish everyone would say the same thing about a particular drug, I hate the mixed feelings, puts you off wanting to take them. Still, I'm going to try for my own peace of mind.

Les

ANXIETY26
19-03-06, 12:22
Hi Andrew

Im no stranger to anti-depressant medication. I've been on Citalopram, Effexor, SJW and 5HTP. I started taking Citalopram around six years ago. I forced myself through the horrible initial side effects and it turned my life around. After about two years I stopped taking it and went on to SJW. I went for around a year feeling ok. Then I made the mistake of going back on to the Citalopram without weaning off the SJW and had horrendous side effects. NOT RECOMMENDED. I then went on to Effexor which worked for a while but after seeing an holistic healer who recommended Vitamin supplements and 5HTP I stopped it cold turkey. NOT RECOMMENDED. After a few months on the Vitamins and 5HTP I started going down hill so I decided to try Citalopram AGAIN. I tried it for a few months but weaned myself off and stopped taking it on Jan 1st. In the meantime Ive had all my silver dental fillings out and stopped smoking (COLD TURKEY). I've been struggling along thinking I was fine but have just started taking Prozac (5th day today). I have noticed a difference already. My depression has lifted ( I did'nt even thing that I was depressed). Although I do feel a bit spaced out after taking it in the morning, by the time the afternoon comes im feeling fine. I think a lot of people get scared of the side effects when initially starting but you have to keep going for a few weeks, months even to really get the full benefits. I have learned that you cant afford to mess around with these drugs and this time I will be sticking with it and weaning myself off really slowly when I feel ready. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

LadyJane
13-02-12, 06:02
hi Andrew,

I have been on them for 15 days today, side effects were scary but this forum helped me realise that it is normal and that i am not alone.

i feel great, anxiety is gone, i am sleeping better and all in all i feel more positive and alive.

here if you want to chat more.

Shelley

LAURA48
13-02-12, 07:56
Hi Andrew - there is always apprehension when trying different medication. I think with all SSRIs there are side effects. I am on Prozac again and the side effects are kicking in 2nd week but I was previously on it 15 years and they were brilliant - I think Citalopram has the same sort of side effects but again my friend at work had none! We are different - but always worth a try. Good Luck and there is plenty of support on here - wish I had this site 15 years ago! Laura

---------- Post added at 07:56 ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 ----------

Shelley - glad you are feeling better - the agitation has set it now - horrible but so pleased for you. :)