PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal?

Lizziesaurus
28-10-10, 23:07
Right, it's been a while since I've been on this website but due to recent developments I remembed this forum and thought I'd ask on here about this medication.
To cut a long story short, I finally got the courage to go to the doctors about my servere moods swings after about 5/6 years and got told (although it can't be confirmed for a while yet) that I probably have some form of bipolar.
So now I've currently just got past week number 2 on citalopram and I don't know if it's helping or hindering the way I feel. In some ways yes the mood swings aren't there however the thoughts, problems and feelings are still in my head but it feels like I'm banging my head against a brick wall because I don't know how to get them out. When I'm in a great mood yes it's still noticeable, but bad moods, well; before I would use to cry, get angry, shout whatever but now, nothing! It's driving me mad, to be fair yes they are 'anti-depressants' and in all fairness they're doing what they say on the tin but I've no idea how to deal with these kinds of things. My ability to feel anything is just going away slowly. I think it is quite normal from things I've read on google, but I was wondering what other peoples experiences were? :doh:

suzy-sue
28-10-10, 23:37
You would still be experiencing the side effects of going on this medication .It can make your symptoms worse before they get better sometimes .You should feel the benefits in a couple of weeks maybe a bit longer .Citalopram isnt usually perscribed for Bi polar disorder .But I imagine your Dr knows what hes doing .There are various types /Grades of Bi Pol and maybe yours is mild ..Hope you feel better soon .Sue x

Lizziesaurus
28-10-10, 23:47
I hope so, I really do.
From what my doc can tell (he used to be a psychiatsist) it is only a mild form, but he's trying me on these first to see how I am on them, he said I would probably see a psychiatrist, I really can never spell that word, at some point and obviously if they think lithium or something is needed to take it from there.

suzy-sue
28-10-10, 23:57
He knows what hes doing then ,.Lithium isnt the only drug they use either hun ..Hopefully the cit will kick in soon .Take it from there .May need an increase tho .Most do .Time will tell eh and fingers crossed for you .Keep us posted .Take care Sue x:hugs:

Lizziesaurus
29-10-10, 10:20
Yeah, I have looked up on the tinterweb all the different kinds of treatment, of course lithium is the only memorable one haha!
I'm on 20mg is it at the moment? What does it usually go up to?

lajjj
29-10-10, 10:44
hey i am the same the psychiatrist diagnosed me with a mild form of bipolor disorder i have tried 2 diff meds so far the latest bein escitalopram. i think only the most extreme cases use lithium etc. i am only on day 3 of new meds not feelin great just now ! i am sure the full effect of the meds wont be felt until around 4 -6 weeks so we just need to persevere keepin in mind that we will feel better for it in the end! i feel ur pain tho its not easy with the mood swings etc!! xx

Lizziesaurus
29-10-10, 11:01
Yeah I've read up on lithium and all that and I really don't like the sound of it. But this guys a really good doctor and told me what could happen in the future and how he's seen people with a mild form like myself but have ended up on things like lithium.
I'm just trying to take it day by day, I was so desprate for help because bipolar had already been ruled out before by another doctor so I was at my wits end and my jaw virtually hit the floor when he said it probably was some form of it! I just wish I knew a way of coping with things now, I'm only 20, was 14/15 when I remember the first symptoms so I've no idea how to deal with things in an adult world without the mood swings!

lajjj
29-10-10, 11:12
i feel for you alot! i am exactly the same! its so so difficult i have been on meds before as they thought it was just anxiety i am 30 now and have had 3 or 4 long periods of anxiety/depression but it always returns after the meds are stopped which is why it was diagnosed as bipolor disorder the meds will make u better its just a waiting game for them to work but they will xxx

Lizziesaurus
02-11-10, 23:02
Quick question again, now I first mentioned the bad moods but now I want to ask about extremely good moods. Now it does say on the leaflet it could be 'due to your illness' but I've never had such high moods, if anything they are alot closer to the symptoms of mania which I've never had so badly before. Yesterday/today I was up for 31 hours straight, didn't feel the need for sleep and if I could have physically bounced off the walls, believe me I would have done! Do you think this is due to cit? Of course I will mention it to my doc when I go back and see him but I'll admit, I love this moods, I always used to but now more than ever which I guess I shouldn't because really they're just as bad as the depression just I enjoy it.

RichW
04-11-10, 03:12
Quick question again, now I first mentioned the bad moods but now I want to ask about extremely good moods. Now it does say on the leaflet it could be 'due to your illness' but I've never had such high moods, if anything they are alot closer to the symptoms of mania which I've never had so badly before. Yesterday/today I was up for 31 hours straight, didn't feel the need for sleep and if I could have physically bounced off the walls, believe me I would have done! Do you think this is due to cit? Of course I will mention it to my doc when I go back and see him but I'll admit, I love this moods, I always used to but now more than ever which I guess I shouldn't because really they're just as bad as the depression just I enjoy it.

Hi Lizzie

I experienced this on day 13 of citalopram. I was so "high" you would have thought I'd just won the lotto and sadly this was not the case. It happened a couple of times subsequent to that day and from all I've seen and heard, it's pretty much par for the course. I say enjoy it while it lasts!!!

Best of luck

Rich