PDA

View Full Version : help for eating disorder

opiateyes
29-10-10, 22:12
My eating has pretty much returned to normal, i eat enough calories now, and i think i can continue doing so, but the constant hate of my body is still there. do you think i could get something like CBT even if i am eating ok? I am really scared of what the doctors would say, i just don't want them to reject me and tell me i'm being stupid. I just want the thoughts to go away so i can enjoy food and not let it be an anxiety.

Nigel
30-10-10, 14:55
Hi opiateyes,

“do you think i could get something like CBT even if i am eating ok?”

In theory, I’d like to think so... in practice, dunno??

I would consider this to be precisely the right time to help a person with their emotional issues – when they’re physically in ‘safe’ territory. It’s a bit late once they hit a new crisis. In fact, they say that treatments like CBT aren’t viable when a person is below a BMI of around 17 because their mind simply cannot take it all onboard.

Sadly a lot of doctors see it like that. They’re ‘medical’ people and only see the medical implications.

“I am really scared of what the doctors would say, i just don't want them to reject me and tell me i'm being stupid.”

Is that a big deal – feeling rejected or thought of as stupid? I suspect that it might be, and I can see how that would drive a person back into their old ways of coping. So I think a little mental preparation might help.

Firstly, what have you got to lose? If a person never asks, they’re guaranteed to never get what they want. But when you do ask, there’s a chance of getting it. Even if you don’t, nothing has changed and you’re no worse off. And bear in mind... the people who always seem to get what they want do so by asking. They get turned down a lot too, but because they do more asking, laws of average means they get more of what they want. Even when they’re rejected, they don’t take it personally.

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the doctor refuses, it’s no reflection of you. In fact he’s the stupid one because he simply doesn’t understand EDs.

There’s a self hypnosis download for anorexia (http://www.hypnosisdownloads.com/healthy-eating/anorexia?1388). I don’t know how useful it would be as you’ve beaten the physical part of it, but I’m sure it contains other stuff that addresses the underlying thought processes. Might be another option.

I don’t think you’re stupid for asking for help, and I wish you all the luck in getting it :yesyes:

Take care,
Nigel

opiateyes
30-10-10, 20:47
thanks for the replys both of you.

I am meant to be getting CBT for OCD at some point (they haven't contacted me back yet about the dates)

maybe i should wait till then to talk about the eating problems . I had an assessment as to what they could do for my OCD. do you think if i then start talking about eating problems too, they would be able to help me with that aswell?

Dahlia
31-10-10, 00:46
Yes I would have thought so - or at least refer you to someone who can.

Dahlia

daybyday
31-10-10, 01:27
I hope you find all the help you need to be well:flowers:

Nigel
31-10-10, 01:00
Hi opiateyes,

“I had an assessment as to what they could do for my OCD. do you think if i then start talking about eating problems too, they would be able to help me with that aswell?”

Possibly. It’s certainly worth a mention, especially if the OCD is linked in some way with food or eating, you might be able to throw it in. I know my friend developed several OCD behaviours connected with her eating disorder.

The only thing to bear in mind though – if this CBT is through the NHS, sessions are usually limited. There might not be enough sessions to cover lots of different things, or you might end up touching on lots of different issues and not having time to properly resolve any of them.

Hope it works out,
Nigel