PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions??

SARAH365
31-10-10, 21:19
Hi I'm 68 and have been having excruciating pain with degenerative disc problems over the past two weeks. I saw an osteopath and I'm relieved to say the pain has now all gone. I have 2 cervical discs that show signs of osteoarthritis but have no pain there at all either. I am filling you in on this as I'm getting absolutly no help from out-of-hours GP re my 3 day-old symptoms that are scaring the life out of me. About a week to ten days ago I came off Citalopram. I was only on 10mg, having reduced it from 20mg with my doctor's knowledge, but I felt so well that I took myself off the 10mg and up until tonight never gave this a second thought. Three days ago I started getting a weird tongue tingling when I moved my head to the left or right. In three days it's gone from that to what I can only describe as a "brain jump" - like a PAINLESS electrical shock and at the same time I go really light headed. Today I noticed I can bring this on by moving my eyes very quickly from right to left. If I sit very still and don't move then I don't experience this "brain jump". But Ive only got to move my head a little a certain way - or rapidly move my eyes - then I get all these symptoms together with tingling in my hands and feet and terrible lightheaded. I absolutely HATE this lightheaded feeling. It's like my brain goes "up down up down" quickly, and immediately get the tingling and lightheaded feeling. IT LASTS ABOUT A SECOND. But then it's ok until I move my head a bit and it all starts over again. Today I could hear a sort of "ching ching" noise coming from my head. It wasn't my imagination as I heard it every time my head went into this spasm. I saw a duty doctor last night who tested all my reflexes and could find nothing wrong except to say it was probably nerve pressure on an artery from my neck leading into the brain - through a bone spur. I didn't tell him I'd stopped taking Citalopram as I didnt think it mattered. It was just by chance I saw some people had posted about these "brain-zaps" after sudden withdrawal from SSIs. Can ANYONE identify with what I've written? I'm in no pain at all incidently. If it's not withdrawal then it's probably from nerve compression. I'm pretty confident it's not from stopping Citalopram as it was only 10mg. Sorry for writing such a lot!!! :blush: Thank you, Sarah x

paula lynne
31-10-10, 23:09
Hi Sarah It does sound like compression of sorts, especially the tingling etc. Im glad youre in no pain, thats something. I think you may have mild withdrawal, even if it was only 10mg, your brain is saying "Hey...weres that stuff...Im not having it anymore". I hope you feel better soon my love, and the sensations pass for you x

mandie
31-10-10, 23:31
Hi Sarah

I get this brain jump you are talking about. It lasts for about a second. its like a shock in my head, it doesnt hurt and then makes me feel liteheaded afterwards.

When my anxiety is bad, this is when i get them, but you can get this when you come off the meds as well even at a 10mg dose.

love mandie x

trooper
31-10-10, 23:51
You should really consult your doctor when coming off the drug, can give you the best advice. I haven't read anything into withdrawing yet because I'm still really adjusting to them but I know the sudden withdrawel can cause you problems.

For back pain and anxiety, acupuncture is really good. Give it a go, I love it.

SARAH365
01-11-10, 10:59
Thanks for replies. Very silly thing I've done I think!!