PDA

View Full Version : Ladies only please...So worried

PoppyC
01-11-10, 11:02
Hi
Not gone into work today. Cancelled all my counselling sessions - to be honest this counsellor was in my opinion either very good or very bad - some of the things she said really made me question her counselling.
Anyway I have some problems with my health down below :blush: and I woke up bleeding , when I have only just finished over a week ago, plus I was having awful stomach pains/lower cramping in the night, and still have some pain now.
So what is worrying me is that I have cancer, :lac: (I just keep thinking I have :weep:) because I have been feeling unwell for a while, hot sweats, loss of appetite, and a few other things - no weight loss though. My moods and anxiety have been everywhere - I was actually going to see my gp soon to ask if the medication had maybe stopped working so well. I got so stressed being out yesterday (with my partner) that I was actually crying in the shopping centre :blush:
I am going to the gps tomorrow - on my own :weep: - as I dont have anyone to go with due to them working - and I hate being out on my own with agoraphobia.
I am so worried. Has anyone had the above happen to them? Maybe it could be perimenopause...??? I am so scared.

debs71
01-11-10, 11:10
Hi Poppy,

So sorry that you are not feeling good hun. I have had irregular bleeding before, and like you it was very scary as I had never had it before and I was also worried about perimenopause (I haven't had children, but haven't given up hope that one day I will)

As I recall I also had it very soon after my period, like you. I also had low stomach aches and pains. I went to my GP and at first was diagnosed with a urine infection and given antibiotics, but I was sceptical about this due to the bleeding not just being in my urine. Anyway, the bleeding carried on (not huge amounts but noticeble). I was sent for a transvaginal utrasound and eventually diagnosed with ovarian cysts which apparently are very common and cause all of the given symptoms I had. They basically cause your cycle to go haywire due to the hormones secreted which explains the out of sync bleeds.

Our hormones can really screw with our periods hun as well, but hopefully your GP will get to the bottom of this, but please try not to worry about anything sinister in this. Just for the record, my cysts resolved on their own and my cycle is bck to normal again.

Good luck tomorrow and lots of love.xx:hugs:

blueangel
01-11-10, 11:15
Hi Poppy

Sorry to hear you're not feeling very well. I have had a lot of problems with perimenopausal stuff, and it can cause all sorts of weird problems, including hot flushes, night sweats, palpitations, irregular bleeding and a whole host of other things. Hormone tests can sometimes be helpful with this, as they can at least establish whether you've gone peri or not.

Counsellors can also be very hit and miss. I've been to one very good one and one that was not so good, but it was the style of counselling that made the difference to me. the second one I went to (some years after the first) was much more reflective and I didn't find that this helped me at all, as I felt as though I was just talking round in circles rather than finding solutions. However, one thing I did find out is that sometimes they say things that we don't really want to hear, and I suppose the only solution to that is that we have to learn to take it on the chin somehow.

Baggie
01-11-10, 11:23
Hi Poppy

I'm so sorry that you're feeling like this just now. Sending you :hugs:

I don't know how old you are but perhaps you are perimenopausal. I'm 43 and although I don't have any probs with cramping etc like you've mentioned, I have been feeling out of sorts, anxious, hot sweats/cold chills etc.. My GP took some bloods - all came back fine, but she did send me for an ultrasound scan to check my ovaries. They were fine too.

Like you, I can feel a bit agoraphobic at times and I'm not brilliant in big shopping centres. I won't go to places like that on my own. I feel so silly but I know that a lot of women especially can feel like this due to hormonal change. It can feel like a bit of a nightmare at times. There is a good website to help with information about perimenopause/menopause called www.power-surge.com (http://www.power-surge.com)

I think we all have a tendency to think about awful things like cancer when we are feeling especially low, I know I do. It will probably help you a lot to just tell your GP how you're feeling and get some reassurance.

Do you have a good friend who could go along with you tomorrow as your partner is at work? Hope everything goes well for you. You can PM me if you need to chat. Take care. xx

JaneC
01-11-10, 11:25
Hi Poppy, sorry you're feeling so bad :hugs: I was just coming on here to post a question about the perimenopause. Hope you manage to get to the doc ok and that they are helpful.

My periods have been all over the place for the last few months. Late, one that came two weeks after the previous one, one that went on longer than usual but with a lighter flow... and then yesterday a very heavy bleed. I've also been sweating a lot both during the day and at night for a few days beforehand. Doc said it prob was the perimenopause and to go away and not worry about it :emot-rolleyes:

My specific question (if you don;t mind me asking on your thread Poppy) was whether anybody has found that their PMS has got worse while going through this? Worse mood stuff, total lethargy beforehand and also feeling warm and restless in bed and unable to get to sleep?

Baggie
01-11-10, 11:32
Hi Jane

Yes, my PMS has definitely got worse. I told the doctor that I feel absolutely hideous at times before a period. Mood can get low,I can feel very warm in bed feel quite tired & lethargic like you describe. Also, for a long time now, I find that I get very shivery and cold just a day or so before bleeding starts. Strange..

JaneC
01-11-10, 12:18
Thanks Baggie, it always helps to be reassured you're not just going insane x

PoppyC
01-11-10, 13:12
Hi Debs, Blueangel, Baggie and Jane :hugs:
Thanks for the messages of reassurnce and the hugs. It really helps.
I am going to take a look at the website link.
You know when you get bleeding on/off with the perimenopause, would it cause stomach pains...low stomach cramps?
Debs - What you described sounds like what I have now...maybe it could be ovarian cysts.
I am sat here with really bad stomach cramps waiting for the paracetamol to kick in. Going to have a hot bath soon. I have not Googled as yet!:unsure: I know it sounds bad but I keep thinking about death :lac: I even thought I had better get the house and personal things tidied up just in case...I know it sounds stupid but...
Phoned the gps and got told there were no appointments available at all - no prebookables anyway! and when I told the receptionist about the pain
she said she would get a gp to give me a phone consultation in the morning! I really thought I would be able to get in tomorrow for an appt. Surely during the time the gp calls me I would have been able to see him :wacko:
I dont get night sweats but I do get times when I burn up mainly in the day. I dont sleep well anymore. My moods are everywhere. I am being so horrid to my boyfriend too. He just irritates me lol Poor man! I dont know why he stays with me sometimes. Before I have a period then I am a nightmare but have been diagnosed in past with PNDD. Its better now I am on citalopram and I have calmed down a lot.
I just feel so tired and actually I do hope in one way that this may be peri menopause because at least that would explain a lot of how I feel. I am just scared its something else. I wouldnt be able to cope with anything terrible. I am not brave when it comes to illnesses.
Will write again later. Love to you all :hugs:

Hazel B
01-11-10, 14:13
Hi Poppy, hope the phone consultation goes well and you get the medical help you need. I can't advise on periods but I send a hug :hugs:and am thinking of you.

On counselling, I would say go with your instionct. I found a lovely lady online, I went private as I could not wait for the NHS. I knew if I met my counsellor for the first time I'd get "vibes" and know if they were right for me. I was lucky, my lady is great, she does challenge me gently on things but never makes me feel uncomfortable. I'm usually very rational and logical, but when it came to my feelings, I went on instinct and trust. Do what is right to protect yourself.

Hope you feel better soon, let us know how you get on. x

PoppyC
02-11-10, 13:23
Thanks for your reply, Hazel, and the hug :hugs:
My gp called with a phone consultation, and I am going to have a blood test and then the gp is taking it from there. I hope I am heading for the menopause even if it is early, because that would explain a lot.
As regards counselling, I think I am going to go private. You are right about the 'vibes' thing...although I liked my counsellor, there was a lot I was beginning to doubt, plus she would forget a lot that I had told her, and I had to then remind her, and yet she had it written down. :lac:The counselling was so rushed too. I will have a look online.
Thanks again for all your replies xx

Hazel B
02-11-10, 21:15
Let us know how you get on. :hugs:

PoppyC
10-11-10, 14:43
Hi
Sorry to be feeling sorry for myself but....I got tests back and I am still anaemic but that doesnt bother me too much because I always am and have treatment for it, but what is worrying me is that my hormones are fine - not perimenopausal at all - told too young, but even so I was hoping that I would be because that would explain a lot :weep: but I am still 'spotting' on and off and have lower stomach cramp and I shouldnt be spotting, so tomorrow I have to go to see the gynaecologist at the hospital as on outpatient and get checked out - full internal examination - I hate them!!! and another smear :blush:
I keep thinking that if I am not perimenopausal, then what else is there! I don't have any infections and I have just got it into my head because I checked cervical cancer symptoms (and I have a lot them) then I have cancer:weep:
Thankfully my partner is taking me tomorrow, because I would not have been able to go without him.
Has anyone ever had anything like this???

Hazel B
10-11-10, 14:58
Don't be sorry, we're here to help. I haven't had anything similar but I do know how worrying all the tests can be, it took from April to August to diagnose my gallstones this year and after every test I got more and more scared. That's what started my anxiety.

All I can advise is try to think that you're getting a good check-up, you'll be in safe hands and doctors usually like to be thorough to RULE out things, not look for them.

Hope it goes well tomorrow, will be thinking of you.

:hugs:x

PoppyC
10-11-10, 20:05
Thanks Hazel, :) for all your helpful replies. I appreciate it.
I will let you know the outcome. I am trying so hard not to panic
I am sorry to hear about your gallstones. The waiting to find out results is just horrible isnt it? I can understand why it set off your anxiety! You just want the answers straight away don't you.
I appreciate you being so kind. :hugs:

Hazel B
10-11-10, 22:47
No problem, I'm sure it's nothing major to worry about but that's easy to say and not easy to accept when you're worried.

Try to think of happy memories/people you love who make you smile and the examination may go quicker. I was thinking of my nephews and sweet niece during an MRI, I'm claustrophobic so it was scary, but I was smiling when I thought of all their funny sayings.

Be brave and stay strong. :hugs:x

Rach J
11-11-10, 09:50
Hey Poppy,

I had symptoms similar to yours a few years ago and a visit to my GP revealed I had a polyp, which are apparently very common. My GP said that they're more common in women on the contraceptive pill or taking HRT.

I was able to have the polyp removed at my GP's surgery, so no hospital involvement.

Jenny85
11-11-10, 10:54
Hi Poppy,

Sorry to hear this is worrying you so much. Your story sounds quite similar to something I went through a few years back...I was bleeding between periods, sometimes not much, then sometimes quite frighteningly heavily. I was convinced I had cervical cancer and it took me ages to muster up the courage to see the doctor.

However, when I did, I was told I had a cervical erosion, or ectopy. Not half as scary as the name suggests - it just means the lining of the cervix has shifted slightly and is getting enflamed, causing the bleeding. It's very common in women taking the pill, though it can be caused by hormonal changes too. I have had it treated, but it does return, probably because I'm still on the pill. But when it does come back, I can at least tell myself that it's nothing dangerous, just uncomfortable. I get lower abdominal cramps with bleeding too, and whilst its going on, I can get very sweaty and not sleep too well, as it can be pretty sore.

I wouldn't want to suggest that this is the cause of your problem with knowing that, but please rest assured that there are loads of causes of intermenstrual bleeding which do not mean a horrific illness - and they're far more common than you'd think!
My mum had cervical erosion herself for YEARS, including while pregnant with me and my sister, but it's gone away now.

Hope you're doing OK today.:hugs: