PDA

View Full Version : Asthma-Mental Disorder link

maro111
01-11-10, 15:51
Hi,

I was wondering if anybody else has read that there is a link between asthma and mental disorders. I have had anxiety/depression/ocd for a number of years. I also have asthma. Anyway, I heard that ginkgo biloba was good for blood/oxygen circulation so i thought i would give it a go. I have found that it really has helped my breathing a lot. Not only that, but i feel more focused, less anxious and a bit more upbeat.

Some studies say that ginkgo is good for the brain (mainly concentration/memory) and some say it isn't, so i wasn't sure if it would help me in that way.

I then did a search on the internet and it says that studies have found that some mental disorders occur with greater frequency amongst people with asthma, but they don't know the reason for it as yet (possibly the stigma of having asthma itself?)

I was wondering if the asthma was mabye causing a deficiency of oxygen in the brain and that now the ginkgo was helping me to breath easier, my brain was less oxygen starved and performing better?

I was wondering if anybody had experienced similar or had any thoughts on this!

Thanks

Mark

maro111
01-11-10, 16:02
Just a little side note. I also read that it may not just be the case for asthmatics. Oxygen levels in the air are dropping with de-forestation (especially in cities) and people tend to breath more shallow than recommended. Both of these could mabye lead to oxygen deficiency in the brain.

olderfella
01-11-10, 16:27
Hi Mark i have been asthmatic since i was a child and never heard that one but you learn something new every day,who actualy did the study?What type of mental disorder are you talking about because ive never read that lack of oxygen in the brain causes anxiety and panic,i understood it to be the other way round as in too much oxygen not enough carbon dioxide hence the breathing in and out of a paper bag but as i said you learn something new every day:shades:

maro111
01-11-10, 16:52
Hi Olderfella,

I saw it at the link below, but also on various sites.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17336661

I know this next link is trying to sell something but it kind of outlines better what other sites say about the brain needing 20% of the bodies oxygen to work efficiently etc:

http://www.drz.org/asp/conditions/oxygen_deficiency.asp

another quick link about generalised anxiety and ginkgo biloba:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16808927

As i say, its just from what im reading, but it could all be rubbish...so thought would like to hear other peoples opinions on it :)

With my asthma I do tend to feel quite sluggish all the time and a bit down. when my breathing improves, i feel more switched on, focused and less anxious.

thanks

olderfella
01-11-10, 17:15
Tests on 108 people imho may look good but i would like to see a proper study over a real period of time,its each to there own Mark if ginko is workin for you thats great but i wont be getting rid of my salbutamol just yet on that evidence,yes you will feel lethargic etc with lack of oxygen what asthma meds are you on?

maro111
01-11-10, 17:28
oh yeah, could never stop the asthma meds. am on salmeterol and salbutomol. The main reason i tried the ginkgo was because i wanted to try and play more sports. i was given singular by the doctor but after reading the side effects decided not to take it. having already tried, the ginkgo did help a lot with the sports. but yeah, the ginkgo would only be as a supplement to the main asthma meds :) .

olderfella
01-11-10, 17:33
The best thing about Singular is the box it comes in lol,pleased the ginko helped with the sport have i found prednisolone great for sport,but some docs dont like givin it out.:)

nomorepanic
01-11-10, 18:16
Interesting as I got this in an email the other day regarding the inhaler I use for asthma:

Corticosteroid Inhalers and Nasal Sprays Can Alter Your Mood

In the September 2010 Drug Safety Update, the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) reports that a review of corticosteroids (sometimes called "steroids" for short) in inhalers and nasal sprays suggests that these medicines may have a number of effects on mood and behaviour. These side effects include restlessness and hyperactivity; problems with sleeping; anxiety; depression; and aggression. Children in particular can become aggressive.

Corticosteroids can be used to treat asthma in the form of inhalers which are breathed into the lungs. Corticosteroids are also given in the form of nasal sprays to help people with allergies and some conditions which affect the nose.

Corticosteroid inhalers include:
Beclometasone (Asmabec, Becodisks, Clenil Modulite, Fostair, Qvar)
Budesonide (Budelin Novolizer, Pulmicort, Symbicort)
Ciclesonide (Alvesco)
Fluticasone (Flixotide, Seretide)
Mometasone (Asmanex)

Corticosteroid nasal sprays include:
Beclometasone (Beconase, Nasobec, Pollenase, Vivabec)
Betamethasone (Betnesol, Vistamethasone)
Budesonide (Rhinocort Aqua)
Flunisolide (Syntaris)
Fluticasone (Avamys, Flixonase, Nasofan)
Mometasone (Nasonex)
Triamcinolone (Nasacort)

For more information, please visit:
http://www.iguard.org/r/05nKEV3yJzc (http://www.iguard.org/r/05nKEV3yJzc)
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Corticosteroids are of great benefit in controlling asthma and allergies. Their benefits will continue to outweigh the risk of side effects for most patients. Corticosteroids should not be stopped suddenly as this may cause a potential worsening of these conditions.

This alert is meant to inform you of the possibility of mood and behaviour side effects when taking corticosteroids in the form of inhalers or nasal sprays. Please read the information leaflet that comes with your medicine to learn about all of the possible side effects of your medicine. If you take a corticosteroid inhaler or nasal spray and are concerned about symptoms you are experiencing, you should keep taking your medicine and speak to your doctor about your concerns.

maro111
01-11-10, 19:12
yeah i have taken prednisolone before. as you day some doctors don't like giving it out, or only when its really needed. tbh the effects of the ginkgo and the prednisolone are kind of the same for me... you know that really fresh (almost cold) clear air feeling when you breath in.

As for the singulair its sounds effective but at a price. the main thing that worry me was people saying they experiences weight gain on it. having just lost in from when i was on citalopram, i didn't want to go back there.

Hi nomorepanic. Thanks, thats very interesting! I guess its not surprising though. It seems that every medication has some nasty side effects. Wouldn't it be amazing to use a medication that actually had positive side effects?? i'll keep on dreaming lol.

allergyphobia
02-11-10, 11:46
i was on singular for 3 months. i lost 2 stone and my appetite completely. i believe that was really exacerbated my problems with eating and mood, phobia etc.

sorry to go off topic, interesting thread

maro111
02-11-10, 18:53
Hi allergyphobia,

yeah I have read a lot about singulair affecting peoples moods, anxiety etc. Im at the point where i have lost a bit of faith in medications tbh, apart from the two inhalers which have been amazing (the salmeterol especially). For me personally, the medications I have been on have always been nearly outweighed by the side effects. Think I will just stick to the ginkgo and give my body a break.

just as a side thing and this may be of no interest to anyone but the ginkgo has completely cleared up my eczema. Apparently its because its a strong antioxidant. Saved me a trip to the doctors :) .

Did the doctor offer you an alternative to the singulair when you went off it?

thanks