PDA

View Full Version : Newby

Oz
01-11-10, 16:07
Hi, Im new to the site so thought I'd introduce myself and explain a little about why i joined.

I suffer from panic attacks and was diagnosed with I.B.S. whilst at University about 7 years ago. Before attending University i saw my self as a free spirit, never really worried and between starting university i took a gap year. I travelled for 4 months with no hint of panic or aniexty.

Whilst in my first term at uni, i discovered i was experiencing severe panic attacks and then came along I.B.S. It became hard to deal with so i missed alot of lectures and started to not be able to go out, couldnt go on public transport due to the fear of my panic attacks occuring. Anyhow, i went to the doctors and had a few months of CBT which helped so much and for the first time my panic attacks were under control.

Until recently ive been able to calm myself down using techiques i had been taught in CBT. Im not sure of the trigger but the panic attacks are back and with revenge! Ive been unable to leave the house for almost 3 weeks! Today i went to the doctor and the waiting list to start CBT again is 3-4 months inbetween time im unsure how i will cope with the panic attacks effecting my life so much, its overwelming!

Ive always been against taking medication but my doctor has perscribed me Inderal LA 80mg. Is anyone on the medication and has it helped?

Sorry long introduction! lol :blush:

diane07
01-11-10, 16:08
Hi Oz

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

becks99
01-11-10, 18:15
Hi and welcome to NMP

hope you find the site helpful, take care xx

paula lynne
01-11-10, 18:53
Hi Oz, welcome aboard x

paulst
01-11-10, 19:32
Hi Oz welcome to NMP:)

Oz
01-11-10, 23:16
Thank you all! Have only been on the site a day and its amazing how much better i feel. I didnt realise so many people have similar problems. xox

sleepinghypatia
02-11-10, 08:38
Welcome!

Vanilla Sky
02-11-10, 20:37
Hi and welcome to NMP :welcome:
Paige x

SJM13
03-11-10, 12:58
Hi Oz,

I think Inderal is the same as Propanolol. I took this for panic attacks (40mg) not long-acting though. I found it took all the physical symptoms away, ie: flushing, shaking, palpatations. I managed to get through the talk I was doing but it does not take away the psychological symptoms and the fact i worry my self silly about whatever presentation i have coming up.
I certainly feel it helps and will use it again.

:bighug1:Sjm13 xxx