PDA

View Full Version : New and looking for support

dizzygirl62
01-11-10, 17:06
Hello

I've been reading some of the posts and decided I would like to join. About me, Im 48, married with 2 grown kids. Ive had anxiety most of my life but in 1999 it really presented itself and I found out I had hypo thryriod condition which is actually wha made it present. I've been teating it since and been fine until the last 1.5 yrs. My father committed suicide last year and it all seem to come back, I've was under tremendous amounts of stress for 3 yrs, then my dad dieing, then my stepdad had a heart attack and almost died, that when it got even worse, then 4 months later I shut down a business I worked for and had run for many years and now am unemployed. As my therapist says, you've been thru more than the norm. I am also in peri menopause so neddless to say, I think I am nuts. My thyriod went into over drive about 6 months ago and the panic really started, to the point I couldn't even think, let alone function. I've since started to get the thyriod back under control. Now I think I'm left with constant fear and anxiety. I have constant wierd head feelings with dizziness everytime I stand up and start to do things, it feels like I'm on a boat, rocking. Sometimes I get it when I'm sitting down, feels like i'm swaying side to side. I also get neck pain suddenly with a headache then the dizziness, and it seems the olnly thing that helps is to lay down with ice on my neck. I'v been to so many docs and had so many test, blood, MRI, chest and heart x-rays, the only thing they've found is I have BPPV, my hormones have been off and my thyriod to high. I was treated for the BPPV with an eply manuever, tried HRT couldn't use it, now all I do is take 1/2 of .25 xanax when I just get out of control and that seems to help. I ofter question that my hormones could cause anxiety but apparently it can. I worry constantly about heart disease. Since my s/dads heart attack I've had worsening breath things happening, I feel as if I can't get enough air in, it comes out of know where, then I start to cough, gag and choke for a few seconds, and I finally start taking slow deep breaths until it stops, it usually lasts about 5 mins, but sometimes occurs all day. I'm just wondering if my symptoms sound like anxiety to you. I will list them all

Air hunger
dizziness and lightheadedness
choking
feel like I won't be able to swallow
headaches
muscle tension
can't handle stress
trembling
nausea
neck pain
palpations
sudden fear
thoughts racing

If anyone has any advice please I would like to hear it. Thanks for reading and listening.

Dizzygirl

Idstain
01-11-10, 17:17
Hi dizzygirl welcome to NMP :) ,

Wow you have been through alot, your doc is right. All of your symptoms look like anxiety to me and it's quite understandable given everything you have been through.

Have you ever been/thought about going on an SSRI ? may be a better longer term medication than xanax but that's for you and your doc to decide.

one thing i'd definitely recommend is picking up a bit (not too much!) of literature on anxiety just so you can understand what is happening and why. this book by Dr Claire Weekes is excellent start (and this is all it takes to cure alot of people) http://www.amazon.com/Hope-Help-Your-Nerves-Signet/dp/0451167228/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288631623&sr=8-1

welcome again :)

ems43
01-11-10, 17:27
Hi there, it does sound like you have had a tough time of it, I'm not suprised you are suffering anxiety! You are definetly describing symptoms of anxiety which are horrible to live with. Are you receiving any therapy/ support? x

dizzygirl62
01-11-10, 17:29
Hi Idstain

Thank you so much for the support and info, I think i have the Clair Weeks book and I will find it and reread it.

I've tried different AD and had very bad reactions to them, mainly can't eat, can't sleep, suidial thoughts and exteme panic.

I decided therapy would be better, so I can learn how to handle things and when I have panic that I can't stop then I use the xanax.

Thanks again for your support.

dizzygirl62
01-11-10, 17:33
Hi ems43

Thank you for replying. Yes I'm getting therapy as I couldn't take AD. I think alot of my problem is my fear of death, sometimes its overwhelming and I just obsess and when I have a symptom of any kind, I can't shut my mind off about it and just wonder when will it get me. I know it sounds crazy, but at times it just take over.

Rob1970
01-11-10, 17:35
Did the treatment for BPPV help any? It could be BPPV triggering the anxiety.

All your symptoms there are very familiar to me with some striking parallels to my situation.

paula lynne
01-11-10, 19:13
A belated welcome to you xx