PDA

View Full Version : any advice ?????

kayleigh
01-11-10, 18:12
hi has anybody got any advice on how to stop an attack when the feelings first start instead of it turning into a full blown attack and lasting hours......:weep: xx

nomorepanic
01-11-10, 18:40
Correct breathing stops mine.

Vixxy
01-11-10, 18:48
I drop my shoulders and breathe slowly in and out.

jothenurse
01-11-10, 21:48
I watch my breathing and I also use distraction. Anything that will get my focus off the panic, watching tv, doing a crossword puzzle, if I'm at work, focusing on a project I'm working on.

paula lynne
01-11-10, 21:56
Same as jothenurse. Breathing can stop panic in its tracks. Distraction is excellent, find what works for you...music..tv...even singing! Keep going x

debs71
01-11-10, 22:06
Yes, I agree with everybody else that deep breathing is great and distraction.

I know this sounds odd but I also get up and march around the house (if it's at home), do some arm stretching and kind of warm up movements to shake off the anxiety feelings. I also do a lot of positive affirmations, but out loud like "it is only anxiety, everything is ok, I have control over this'....that kind of thing, basically anything positive. For the rest of the time I keep as busy as poss.....housework, tv, music, just anything to ride things out.xxxx

paula lynne
01-11-10, 22:09
March around the house debs!? with you marching and me singing we could start a band Anyone play guitar here? xx
Anything that "rides it out" cant be wrong, what ever works for you. Agreed Debs xx

kayleigh
03-11-10, 04:19
Thanks guys ill put them into practice x x

Meltdown
03-11-10, 07:25
I hate to say it, but the best advice is NOT to try to stop an attack (because by doing that, you are increasing the fear of fear that causes them!)

Instead try either saying to yourself "it's going to happen, but it won't harm me", or "OK, let's have that attack RIGHT NOW!!!"

Often inviting an attack will prevent it completely!

None of this is easy to do, but it is the only long-term cure!

Read Claire Weekes: "Facing, Acceptance, Floating and Time"....

kayleigh
03-11-10, 16:26
hi iknow i should do but there awful and i always try and stop them when i know i shouldnt :blush:
were do i find this claire weekes ive seen a few people mention her xx

Meltdown
03-11-10, 21:21
Have a look on Amazon for Claire Weekes - "Self-help for your nerves" or "peace from nervous suffering"

Her books really hit the nail on the head for me, and are very re-assuring, as they completely relate to the feelings and symptoms we all get - and think are unique to us personally!

Claire was a sufferer herself, so she really gets under the skin of the condition! She was also years ahead of her time, believing that looking for "childhood causes" was a waste of time, and believing in a form of what we would now call cognitive behavioural therapy.

Reading "Self Help" was a break-though point for me!

kayleigh
04-11-10, 18:20
thanks ill have a look xx :)