PDA

View Full Version : Scared to Register with a GP

Diva
01-11-10, 20:05
Hi there

Has anyone had any experience with overcoming the fear of registering and being honest with a GP. I haven't had a GP for 12 years and if I need to go to a doctor I generally use medical centres where I can keep a degree of anonymity and only tell them what I want them to know.

What I'd really love to do is find a GP that is willing to deal with scared patients but how can I do it? I've thought of writing to my local surgery and telling them about my problem and fears - Does anyone think this would be a good idea and that they might respond? I'm sure busy NHS practices in East London don't need people like me!

I know I have high blood pressure and suffer from depression but I self-medicate. I don't take anything that I haven't been prescribed by a doctor at some time or another, but no monitoring or check ups!!!!

I'd really like to be honest about my self-medicating with a doctor who would let me take it slowly before any attempts to make me have any routine tests like BP or a smear - do you think there's any doctors out there like that that wouldn't just tell me I'm stupid and childish? ('cos really I know that's what I am)

So many dentists pride themselves on being able to deal with nervous patients, why not doctors???

I am really trying to help myself - no more Dr Google, Casualty, Holby, and trying to avoid reading about the big C. I've even started CBT but need to try and take the next big step.

Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated! xx

Dizz
01-11-10, 20:42
Hiya Diva

So sorry to hear that you have so many worries about registering with a GP. What you have to remember is that GP's are there to help you and they CAN'T and WONT force you into having any test that you don't want or feel uncomfortable with having.

The GP surgery I go to has many doctors and over time I recon I've seen most of them (only because I usually take the first available appointment and not because it's impossible to see the same one, so don't worry about that). The reason I'm telling you that is that they are ALL really nice and I have NEVER EVER been told or made to do anything I didn't want to. Infact it's usually the other way round and I tell them what I want.

I think you should definately write to your local surgery and tell them your fears about registering etc or better still (if you can) why don't you ring them.

I'm sure they would even allow you to speak to a doctor over the phone initially too if you have some questions or need some reasurance. That way you could say what you feel without having to be face to face.

You mention you are having CBT at the moment? Did you arrange that yourself or was it through a general medical centre? Maybe you could ask your therapist what he/she thinks and maybe they could recomend a doctor to you or even talk to a doctor on your behalf at first.

You also mention you are 'self medicating'.... are you using prescription only type medications as really thats not a good idea as you will have no idea if it is working or wether you are taking the right type (as medicines change) or even the right/wrong dose.

If you are not being monitored in any way you could even be taking medicines that counteract each other or that could themsleves be making you feel worse.

I take BP tablets and have had mine changed to a better make and different dose ....both worked to lower my BP but the first lot gave me an intermittent cough which I kept getting over a period of 6 months. I presumed was just down to the fact that I kept catching colds but turned out to be my BP tablets. My cough went withing days of changing my tablets. If I had gone to my first 3 month review when I was supposed to or if I had mentioned it sooner then it would have been sorted rather than me just putting up with it and worrying that I had lung C or something.

Having your BP checked is really easy as they only put a cuff round your arm and inflate it to show the reading. You can even have this done in a chemist so don't need to go to the docs for that.

Sorry sounds like I'm just going on about myself here (which is not my intention at all) I'm just trying to say in a very long winded way that I'm sure any doctor you see will be really supportive and will fully understand the fears and issues you have and they certainly WONT think you are stupid.

Take the next step and either write to them or better still ring them. You clearly want to and you obviously know that what you are doing re self medication etc is probably not the right thing to do.

Heres a big hug :bighug1:to help you do it x x x x x x x

Diva
02-11-10, 09:01
Thank you for your hug and your response.

I'm going to try and ring my local surgery today and tell them about my problem and see if they would help. I have cystitis-like symptoms that won't go away and am sure I've got something awful wrong with me. It's making me so anxious I'm starting to have panic attacks and it's wearing me out!

I know all the things you say are true but just can't seem to take the next step!

Thanks again x

trolleydolly
02-11-10, 09:55
hi diva
remember me from last week it took me 2 years to go to the doctors
it wasnt as bad as i thought and it was such a relief to confess all my worries
i have also suffered with my waterworks for the last couple of months but am on antiboitics now so just waiting to see if they work
but i suspect ive got an over active bladder as it seems worse when i am anxious and can just go on its own
have you got any small gps practices were you are ours has only got 2 gps who have been there for donkeys years so i trust what they say sometimes we have to wait a couple of days for an app but i think its worth the wait

Diva
02-11-10, 20:34
Hi Trolleydolly

Yes, I of course I remember - thank you for sharing it's nice to know there is someone out there who feels the same I went with my mum to her doctor's surgery today for her memory loss/anxiety problems and the lovely female doctor was so nice I really wish she was my GP.

My Mum didn't do too bad on her memory test so that cheered me up and symptoms have gone for now although they were really bad before we left as Mum was a bit anxious, which made me stress - It really does seem like my problem is made worse by anxiety???

I've decided I have three options, register at my local practice and tell them about my anxiety and ask how they deal with anxious patients or, maybe see if I can register at my Mum's surgery and see the GP she saw today (as a temporary resident) or, go see my old GP (I drove past his surgery today and he's still there, in fact they may still have my records as I have never registered with another GP) - so, three options - I just have to decide and take one of them. I'm going to discuss with my therapist when I next see him on Thursday and set myself a goal of one week from today.

Thanks again for your message, it helps so much to share and feel someone cares.

xxx

Dizz
04-11-10, 13:11
Hiya Diva

I recon you should be able to register with your mums doctors if you tell them why you want too go there, especially as they are treating your mum for anxiety too and you go with her.

Best wishes and I hope you get it sorted soon as you will feel so much better regardless of which doctor you do finally sign up with as I'm sure they will all be just as nice as your mums x

:hugs: