PDA

View Full Version : Energy drinks

ladybird64
01-11-10, 22:36
Hi all

Just looking for a little advice. My daughter has been drinking ridiculous quantities of energy drinks for well over a year, anything up to 4 cans per day.

I have nagged, cajoled and moaned all to no avail. She watched a programme 2 days ago that showed just how much sugar was in these drinks and went and poured her two remaining cans down the sink.

She now has the headache from ill, the skin has broken out and she feels really rough. Any ideas on how to lessen the effects of not having so much caffiene?

She has been knocking back the coffee (doesnt care about the caffeine, only the calories :lac:) but it is obviously making her feel worse.

Suggestions gratefully received. :flowers:

sleepinghypatia
01-11-10, 22:44
Has your daughter gone cold turkey? She needs to gradually decrease her caffeine intake rather than cut it out completely. This will reduce her headaches and the like. Also, it's very important to stay hydrated.

daybyday
01-11-10, 22:51
Yes, gradual decrease and lots of water and good nutrient foods.

ladybird64
02-11-10, 14:50
She has indeed gone cold turkey but I have passed on your good advice folks.

She doesn't want to cut down gradually but will make sure she is getting plenty of water to drink.

Nigel
02-11-10, 16:18
Hi Ladybird,

As well as the caffeine, sugar may be playing a part too. Sorry I don’t know all the technical details but I believe consuming a lot of refined sugar – as in some of those drinks – can make a person hyper. The brain needs sugar – it’s its main source of energy – but it needs a slow release of it from natural foods. Products containing highly refined sugar means the body doesn’t have to process it, hence the brain gets all that sugar instantly – a bit like putting rocket fuel in your car!

Your daughter may have been on a sort of permanent sugar ‘high’ and is now experiencing severe withdrawal. Perhaps she could talk to her doctor who might be able to refer her to a nutritionist for proper advice. Or do some online research about it herself.

Take care :)
Nigel

ditzygirl
02-11-10, 16:43
Good on your daughter for changing her drinking habits. I can recommend Clipper teas that she might like.
I have tried loads of fruit teas over the years but Clipper have real flavour. The raspberry leaf is really good and once you get used to the taste the chamomile has great relaxing properties.
Also hot or cold water with a slice of lemon/grapefruit/lime can be really tasty and healthy.
She needs to eat little and often too and as Nigel says avoiding sugar. The aim is to keep your blood sugars stable.

The headaches and skin outbreaks are pretty normal just a reaction to getting rid of all those toxins.

You might find these books useful:

Liz Earle - Skin secrets
The green beauty bible - Sarah Stacey and Josephine Fairley

I gave up coffee years ago and restrict my tea intake. I know can't bear the smell of coffe and don't miss it.

Your daughter will notice a real difference in how she feels and how she looks very very quickly so Good luck to herxx

weeble40
02-11-10, 18:11
hey buggy butt, hows you???

i had a similiar prob with my charlie, he was drinking lots of high energy drinks for football, when i stopped him having em, yes he suffered headaches n was quite poorly for a couple of days, but it soon passed, hes now drinking milk again, and lots of water and fruit juices, i limit him to a tea or coffee, each day, but your daughter is much older so that might be a prob for you, i wish her lots of luck,

miss you lots xxxxxxxxxx