PDA

View Full Version : General anaesthesia!

HelenLouise
02-11-10, 09:49
Hey!
I'm really nervous at the moment as I'm having a general anaesthetic tomorrow to have a lymph node removed! I'm emetophobic so am petrified of the anaesthetic incase it makes me feel or be sick!
Also, I'm scared that the anaesthetic will kill me! I've never had one before and I'm worried that I will have a reaction to it or something will cause me tp not wake up!
I'm petrified as I looked on google and people have said it's possible to die from it!
I am going to ask if i can have the procedure done under a local and sedation but I think i am going to have to have general anaesthetic! =[ xxx

Vixxy
02-11-10, 10:05
You can die from many many things. So yes there is a chance of dying from it. However you're going to be in a hospital surrounded by all the help and medication that you will need should you have a reaction to it.
If the odds of dying from it were high then they wouldn't use it. Think of it that way :)

debs71
02-11-10, 11:16
Hi HelenLouise,

I think it is totally understandable to be apprehensive about having a GA when you haven't had one before - I would be too - but the odds of something bad happening while you are under anaesthetic are slim BUT patients always have to be made aware that there is a tiny, tiny chance of a reaction but please don't let this thought overwhelm you. Think about the millions of people, or not even that, just the people that you personally know who have gone under anaesthesia and come out fine without hitches, and please try to feel reassured by that hun.

Incidentally, when it comes to your emetophobia DO TELL THE ANAESTHETIST about it tomorrow and/or whoever you sign the consent form with as they can make certain that you are prescribed drugs to stop the nausea after the operation, drugs like CYCLIZINE or ONDANSETRON which are designed to reduce your chances of feeling or being sick from the anaesthetic.

Good luck and keep us posted,

love

Debs.xxxxx:hugs: