PDA

View Full Version : Sleep Apnoea - Anxiety Link

springblossom
02-11-10, 13:12
Hi all,

I've been reading Dr Steven Park's interesting work on the link between sleep apnoea and anxiety.

I sometimes wake from my sleep gasping for air in total panic. Do other anxiety sufferers have this?

http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/38129/Anxiety-and-Sleep-Position

SB

nomorepanic
02-11-10, 16:52
Yup I do and I was told when I was in hospital that I had apnoea but I have never followed it up to be honest.

springblossom
02-11-10, 17:57
Hi Nicola, - I have never followed it up either. Do you think we should?

nomorepanic
02-11-10, 18:21
I am a really bad sleeper anyway so I have no idea if this is waking me up or not.

I know that the first thing they will say to me personally is lose some weight as I am quite overweight and that can make the breathing restricted more so I think I need to work at that first to see if it helps.

springblossom
02-11-10, 18:56
Best of luck with that Nicola.

Do you ever awaken from sleep gasping for breath? This happened me last night. It's not every night but often enough to be a concern.

nomorepanic
02-11-10, 19:04
Yes I do that - quite scarey isn't it?

If you see your doc they can refer you to a sleep clinic so that may get some answers for you.

Boxerharvey
03-11-10, 16:05
Ive just posted a thread in the Health anxiety section about the same thing. Ive had it before but last night it happened like 7 times in a row where I was lying in bed trying to get to sleep and all of a sudden I was gasping for breath. The weird thing is I wasnt asleep when it was happening I was awake. I just put it down to anxiety as im going through a really bad patch of the last few weeks and have so many symptoms.