PDA

View Full Version : Hi, and bronchitis/cold help

lilboops
02-11-10, 16:04
Hi everyone.

I stumbled on this board about a month ago, when doing the thing HAers shouldn't do: visit Dr. Google. I'm 39, and a mommy.

I was in Spain in mid September. The day after I got home, I started getting cold symptoms: itchy ears, stuffed nose, sneezing. A few days later, I had awful phlegm in my throat and a cough. The cough from the phlegm was so awful. For three mornings, I would have a coughing fit, and I noticed a pin-sized blot of blood in the phlegm I hocked up. That sent me into a total panic, and to Dr. Google (hence finding you), and my GP who said it was nothing to worry about. LC, though, has always been my biggest fear, which is not alleviated by the fact I smoke. Sigh. Mid you, the phlegm seemed to be coming from my throat, not from my chest (when I have bronchitis, I can feel the gunk down there, and I didn't have that).

On top of that, I have constant pain between my shoulder blades, and occasional chest pains, difficulty breathing, fatigue, and chest tightness. Oh, and I always have a bit of PND, and phlegm in throat (been like that for years). Aside from the PND, I've determined (hoped, actually) that these things were all anxiety related.

Anyway, I had three really rough anxiety weeks. I couldn't function. I couldn't eat. I was in my old spirals. I went back to the GP. He suggested that I give meds a go. I'm not big into meds, but I started Celexa and Clonazepam. the clonazepam helped to calm me, but I didn't notice anythingwith the celexa other than more fatigue. Sigh. Finally, the cold/cough went away about a week ago. Still a bit of a cough here and there, but nothing as severe as it was.

I was at my GP follow-up this past Thursday. I felt pretty good. Talked to him about NOT doing the Celexa, and sticking with Clonazepam or Ativan for my anxiety attacks.

Then, at home that afternoon, I felt a tickle in my throat/chest. I chalked it up to smoking too much. But by nighttime, I had a sore throat, and tons of PND. And sneezing. And itchy ears and sore teeth. I felt like utter crap on Friday, and Saturday.

And then, on Sunday morning (two days ago), it moved into my chest. I'm now coughing up crap that is green, yellow, and white. I'm wheezing, and feeling the gunk down there rattling around. Obsessively checking for blood again. Back to the GP yesterday. He put me on antibiotics and a cough medicine. He said this is a separate illness from the last one. I'm to go back in two weeks about the bronchitis, and my anxiety.

I'm resisting Googling. I had read last time that back to back chest infections are a sign of what I dread most.

I should mention that I had a clear chext xray in March.

I'm trying not to freak out, but it is hard. I am going to give up the smokes. Though while anxious, it seems all I want to do is smoke. Meh. I've read back on some posts here, and it seems others have had similar experiences, but I'm still fearful of hitting that spiral again.

My GP says to quit smoking. He says that I exhale longer than I inhale, and this is an early indicator of emphysema! :ohmy: So the ciggies must go. But I'm just wondering how many of you have had an infection so close to another infection. Should I demand another xray? the doctor doesn't think it is necessary. I also had a host of blood work done in April/May because of swelling in my joints and an uncontrollable itch (all resolved now, Dr. figured it was a virus of some sort).

Really trying not to panic.

Sorry for such a long first post.

lilboops
02-11-10, 17:17
Anyone? Now I'm freaking more...Gah!

tracey c
02-11-10, 17:39
Hi there - I can't answer you medical issues, but alot of them I suffer with too - chest pain/pain between shoulder blades etc and I know deep down it is anxiety. I too smoke and at the moment there's no way I could stress myself trying to stop, but I know its stupid to smoke.
It's always a really bad idea to use Dr Google - if he were a real doctor he'd be struck off!! Try to stay off and listen to your own doctor who knows you! Your anxiety is bound to be worse when you are poorly so just hang on in there.
Just wanted to say you're not alone and you'll get loads of sup[port her
:hugs:

Dahlia
02-11-10, 18:14
Hi Lilboops. I too had 2 bouts of bronchitis within a short time period. Basically, I had also been feeling very unwell for a good 8 months before the first bronchitis. Headaches, sore eyes, sneezing, phlegm, fatigue. Anyway, I went to the GP with these symptoms, and he realised I also had bronchitis (I had been feeling that bad, I didn't actually feel much worse when I had the bronchitis!).

To cut a long story short, we discovered that I had a mould allergy. I had had a small leak from my flat roof, there wasn't visible mould, but mould spores were in the air. I took an antihistamine for a week and the symptoms went (except the bronchitis, as that needed antibiotics, obviously).

Mould allergy is apparently a known cause of bronchitis. And I can testify that it can make you feel really quite unwell before you get to that point - I mean, I really thought there was something wrong.

This may not be relevant to you, at all. But I mention it, as autumn is a key time for mould allergy, due to rotting leaves outdoors, and gathering of condensation indoors. All it needs is for mould spores to be in the air.

I got the roof fixed, and a dehumidifer for the condensation - and haven't been ill since.

Dahlia

lilboops
03-11-10, 15:29
Thanks for the replies.

No mould or anything around here that I know of. The two things *did* start with cold symptoms, so I'm pretty sure it's viral/bacterial.

I'm still stressing though. Reading old posts. Looking for reassurance. Sigh.

JaneC
03-11-10, 15:46
I think as smokers we're just more prone to infections and picking up viruses. Last winter I'd just got over flu when I got a cold, and the cough I had from that lasted for probably a couple of months, with a couple of courses of amoxycillin doing nothing for it. See how you get on with the ABs and go back to your doc if they don't clear it.

Good luck with giving up smoking x

lilboops
03-11-10, 15:50
I think as smokers we're just more prone to infections and picking up viruses. Last winter I'd just got over flu when I got a cold, and the cough I had from that lasted for probably a couple of months, with a couple of courses of amoxycillin doing nothing for it. See how you get on with the ABs and go back to your doc if they don't clear it.

Good luck with giving up smoking x

Thanks. I started the antibiotics Monday. Nothing noticable yet, but I'm crossing my fingers.