PDA

View Full Version : Starting Propranolol.....

Oz
02-11-10, 20:30
Hi,

Ive been prescribed Half-inderal LA 80mg and have not started taken them as of yet. Wanted to get some info on how other people have felt on this medication? Its the first time ive been on any real form of medication so im a little worried of the effects ect..:shrug: Any help would be greatly appreciated :D

xox

Oz
02-11-10, 21:02
Ok, thank you. Would you recommend taking the tablets in the morning or evening?

xox

Hazel B
02-11-10, 21:07
Hi, I took 40mg x 3 times daily from first thing in the morning at equal intervals. They got me out of an adrenalin and anxiety cycle, mainly calming my racing heart.

No real side-effects, just a bit drowsy.

Oz
02-11-10, 21:51
Thank you, going to take the first one tomorrow. xox

Going home
03-11-10, 00:14
I also take Half Inderal (propranolol) 80mg slow release capsule every morning. I was given it for high BP initially because I also suffer with migraines and it helps with both. It has certainly helped with settling my heart rate down and the missed beats I was suffering with and the only side effect I get is feeling that i'm a bit unfit whenever I start to walk anywhere...like not quite having enough puff, then after the first 5 mins my puff comes back to normal, but saying that ive also put on weight in the last few years so could be that rather than the meds! If you've been given them to help anxiety i'd say they're a better deal than tranquilisers (benzos) any day.

Anna xx

Electric_Worry
03-11-10, 00:18
I was terrible for the first few days, suffering prolonged bouts of nausea and feeling as though I would pass out on numerous occasions (I didn't, however). The symptoms did level out and I haven't experienced them since. I was prescribed the 80mg slow release the day after having my first real panic attack, so the symptoms might have even been related to the attack itself and not the medication.

I would give the pills a try, regardless. A lot of people have very few side-effects/reactions, so don't let a few negative stories put you off. Even if you do feel bad, they should start to subside after a few days, so it will be worth it.

Kerry B
03-11-10, 09:33
Hi I was prescribed 40mg which i took in the morning and can honestly say I wished I had never taken then. I was constantly dizzy, felt tired all the time, had head rushes couldnt even look up or hold me head down my GP said they made me have low blood pressure. The whole experience i will never forget.

matted
05-11-10, 15:21
i started propranolol approx 2 weeks ago

3 x 40mg a day - this was pretty unbearable - dizzy lightheaded and sick feeling

stepped down to 2 x 40mg a day and found this just the same

now I am on 20mg a day, half a tablet in the morning

main side effect is that i get really out of breath with any sustained walking or exercise - forget going to the gym or running, i thought i was going to faint when walking for 40mins in london the other day, had to walk so slowly!

i am going back to my GP to ask for an alternative