PDA

View Full Version : Gasping for breath while falling asleep

Boxerharvey
03-11-10, 10:05
Last night as I was trying to get to sleep I kept having this feeling where I would stop breathing for a few seconds and then jolt awake gasping for breath, ive had this happen 1 or twice before but it happened like 7 times in a row last. Just as I feel im nodding off I jolt awake gasping for breath. Ive been struggling with anxiety worse than usual the last few weeks with so many different symptoms so I take it this is just another one?
Anyone else ever experianced this before?

PokerFace
03-11-10, 10:24
Yep I had this rly bad the otha night, is classic anxiety! Once your anx levels start to come dwn agen it will stop happening as often x

SickofIt
03-11-10, 10:30
Actually, this sounds more like sleep apnea to me. (I work in a sleep lab so I am quite familiar with this symptom)
The thing about sleep apnea is that it can perpetuate anxiety by the physical sensation of the symptom.
Get it checked out.

Boxerharvey
03-11-10, 12:24
Thanks for your replies.
The weird thing is im just dozing trying to get to sleep when it happens.
I know someone who had sleep apnea but I always thought it happened when they where in a deep sleep and they stopped breathing not while they where awake?

mom1982
03-11-10, 12:50
Sounds like anxiety to me. My dad has sleep apnea & he wakes up from deep sleep unable to breathe. Are you sure you were just dozing off and not already sleeping? I don't know many details on sleep apnea but i've went through this before with anxiety, dozing off and jolting awake and gasping for breath, i don't have sleep apnea and in my case it was anxiety.

debera
03-11-10, 12:55
sound like anxiety to me. ive had the same thing happen from time to time.
love debera:hugs:

Boxerharvey
03-11-10, 13:45
Thanks guys for all your replies.
I know I definitley wasnt asleep when it was happening so hopefully it is just anxiety. Like I said my anxiety has hit me hard the last few weeks, had bad headaches and pains in the head, chest pains and feeling spaced out/drugged. Just another symptom to add to my ever increasing list I suppose.

PokerFace
03-11-10, 14:01
If your awakeish when it keeps happenin like JUST before you fall asleep its anx hun x

ace10
03-11-10, 14:02
I get it sometimes, and guess what... it's when I anxed! Just as you're dozzing of it suddenly kicks in.

I would definitely say its anxiety.

Boxerharvey
03-11-10, 16:10
Thanks all of you, your replies have put my mind at ease.
Dont know what I would do without this place sometimes

NervousNellie
04-11-10, 21:10
Definitely anxiety. It happens to me too. It has something to do with your body finally relaxing. So if anything, you should take comfort in knowing that when you're asleep, you're actually relaxed!!

Rachel W
05-11-10, 02:20
happened to me too almost every night for a few months. It finally went away but was VERY scary. I kept thinking that I had only just escaped dying. I DOES get better!!!

Take care.

kayleigh
05-11-10, 02:44
yeah me to but i used to worry about going to sleepincase i never woke up :ohmy: i text my family everynight saying goodnight and i love themi get that worried......................
just another horrible symtom of anxiety i suppose :weep:
:bighug1: xxxx

lorraine
05-11-10, 11:29
hi

yes i have had this before went on for about a week sometimes not getting any sleep at all. Went to my doctors and he said it was anxiety and that it would pass as my body calmed down.

hope that helps

lorraine