PDA

View Full Version : 3 weeks on mirt and fed up with it all

anthromum
03-11-10, 11:52
Hello all,

I've been taking mirtazapine for three weeks now and I'm feeling awful - reading this forum I realise that the weight gain and drowsiness I'm experiencing are common side effects but the sleepiness in particular is a real nuisance for me. I have two small children and I'm trying to finish a PhD, so I just can't afford to take time off or to have impaired concentration. And my mood is very low - I am miserable about living in the wrong city, all because of my husband's job, and we're miles from family. I have very few friends. I am so sick of feeling like this, after years and years of trying different medications, and lots and lots of talking therapy too. All of that seems a complete waste of time when I'm still feeling like this.

So I went back to the GP today and explained some of what was going on. She asked me if I wanted to be referred to a psychiatrist who might have a better idea of what to prescribe but I said no at this stage. I hate having to make that choice (GP or psychiatry) - why should I know what sort of care is best for me? I'm not a doctor! - but in the past when I've been treated through the psychiatry dept it has been even more frustrating than ever because of the long gaps between appointments, and having to explain the whole thing to a new junior doctor evrey time I go.

If I'm this low on medication it really makes me wonder whether I shouldn't just come off it all together and be miserable, but without all the hassle of having to have an opinion on what kind of care they should be giving me.

However I have agreed to up the dose from 15 mg to 30 mg and see if that makes any difference at all.

Joanna

Vixxy
03-11-10, 13:17
Hi Joanna. What time are you taking them? I've found if I take them at around 9:30-10pm then I can wake up with no drowsiness the next day.

Carly Lou
03-11-10, 13:23
Hey Joanna.... I have been on mirt for 3 days.... the amazing bit is that i have had no anxiety or nothing, no panic attacks or the constant worry i was dying of a deadly disease... but your correct, today i am so so so so tierd, i woke up this morning feeling like i hadnt slept all night... what mg are you on ??? i am on 15mg and am thinking abt maybe cutting it in half, i also take mine at 9pm...
i was on sertraline before but i can not tollerate ssri's... i was so sick and ill for 2 weeks and lost a stone in weight.... so im now stressing abt the weight gain, i really do NOT want to put weight on so i am going to be so carefull.... im so pleased i have found someone else on mirt.... im so suprised how many are on it xxx
right now i am so sleepy... thank god it is my day off work.... sadly tho i have a 2 yr old to look after...
lol shall we half our mirt tonight and see how we are tomo ???????????????? xxxxxxxxx

JT69
03-11-10, 18:41
Hi Joanna,

Sorry to hear that you feel so awful.....3 weeks is not a long time to have been taking mirtazipine, you need to give it longer to settle. 15mg is not a theraputic dose so I guess you will be able to guage it better when you start taking 30mg. The drowsiness will pass and your body will get used to the meds it just takes time. If I had been you I would of asked to be refferred as GP's do not have the same knowledge that a psychatarist would have but maybe if things dont improve its an option you can still take.

I hope that you feel better when you increase your dose.

Let us know how you get on.

Take care
Jo.xx

Vixxy
03-11-10, 20:33
I don't think I had any problems when I first started it. But I do if I take it too late in the evenings. If I take it past 10pm, then I might aswell write the next day off totally. I do get the occasional day where I'm groggy and drowsy, but it's very few and far between. I would give it a few weeks to get used to them :) They work wonders for me^^

ems43
03-11-10, 23:54
it must feel really frustrating having to re-start new meds. I would agree with Jo that a referral to a psychiatrist would be better- they really do have more up to date info and evidence base that GP's. As Jo said, 15 is not a therapeutic dose, so could it be that soem of the tiredness is linked to your original illness ( not sure what you are on them for). I guess it will take time to work which is horrible when you feel awful (I'm in the same boat). x

anthromum
04-11-10, 08:29
Thanks everyone. I appreciate your support. Having slept on it, I think I will persist with the mirtazapine at 30 mg and see what happens - if things are still up and down in a couple of weeks time, I may ask for that referral to psychiatry. I have mixed anxiety and depression with trichotillomania so there are a combination of symptoms and yes, maybe a psychiatrist would be more experienced to advise on them. I just feel a bit cynical about it at the moment, having felt let down by psychs not coming up with a really helpful treatment in the past. But I guess that is the nature of the illness - very individual, hard to treat, AND it is making me see everything in the worst possible light at the moment.