PDA

View Full Version : Hello

Sinead
06-03-04, 17:49
Hello, i am new to this site, but have already found it very helpful.I am 34 years old single mum and i have suffered from panic attacks for along time, When i first suffered the dr advised my after lots of tests that it was IBS. I managed to make myself feel abit better last time by taking vitaimns and cutting back on wheat products. I was getting better and started being able to take my son out on short trips, ( you start feeling bad because i feel that i am not a good mum as i cant face going to lots of places like the cimena, and place where there is alot of people and i know i would be able to leave when i want to), I was trianing to be a driving instructer when dueing a driving lesson, i was involved in a car accident. This knocked me for six, as i had to go to hospital, (one place i dread). After i recovered, i had a problem getting in the driving school car,I have even changed instructors. Now when i am in the driving car i am tense, and have many panic attacks. The panic attacks are coming more oftered, and to go out is becoming struggle.

I have CBT, booked for two weeks time but was wondering if i can see a hypnotherapists as well, or should i wait until the CBT has finished. I want to try and get my life back.

nomorepanic
06-03-04, 19:31
Hi Sinead

Welcome to the site - sorry to hear you are suffering too.

I too had a car accident and that made my driving worse - but was not the start of the panics. It just re-inforced the fear that I had of driving.

Good on you for doing CBT - that will be a great help. I can see no reason why you can't do Hypnotherapy at the same time - both are great cures for panic.

Take a look around the website and this forum and let us know if you have any questions.

Nicola

kate
06-03-04, 19:42
Hiya Sinead,

Welcome to the site.

I know exactly how you feel with the guilt. I feel like that as I too can't take the kids places and they really want to go on holiday, but I just can't face that either.

Hope to hear from you again soon.

Kate x

me
07-03-04, 14:07
hi sinead its lovely to hear from you ive only just started to have horrible panic attacks but this site is great it will make ou feel your not on your own keep in touch take care from mary x

Sinead
07-03-04, 20:11
Thank you for the answer on the hypo, I am trying to get over the driving fears, but this is hard as what i really want to be is an driving instructor. I used to be a confident driver, didnt mind motorways,rain,snow. But at the moment i fear traffic jams,being stuck and not being able to pull over or get off. I found your story a great help as it sounded so simular to mine. I didnt know that their was so many people suffering from some kind of PA.

My panic attacks got worse as i said after the car accident, but kind of calmed down for a while, it then got worst dueing christmas and new year. This i find a very lonely time as i am on my own. I would love to meet some one but finding this very hard as i dont like going out to Pubs or clubs or evern resturants, so how do you meet some one, if you do meet someone alot of the times they dont understand what PA involves. when i do go out i cant wait to get home if you know what i mean.

nomorepanic
07-03-04, 20:46
Sinead

Your driving fears are mine too - have you read my story on the main website page - you may be able to relate to that.

I hate being stuck in traffic and not being able to get off the road- very scary.

It is hard when you are on your own - I know that - I lived alone for many years in Sheffield.

Do you work atall or is the child young? It takes a lot of hard work to get better but you can do it if you are strong.

Don't stop the driving- even though you panic - just keep doing it ok and it will get better over time, I promise.

Good luck.

Nicola

Meg
08-03-04, 15:08
Sinead ,

You may want to concentrate getting better and over this whilst you are on your own first as then you know that whatever happens you know that you are fine within yourself rather than trying to make a relationship work because you are dependant on that support.

Make new friends whilst you're learning to cope and the rest will follow when you self esteem is better.

IBS is usually a diagnosis given for anxiety ridden innards. A relaxation tape is helpful for IBS as well as your previous supplements and wheat restrictions. Often yoga / Tai chi help IBS enormously as its a cumulative effect and you'd meet people there who would understand.

With your driving instructor course . Well done for keeping going - perhaps just sit and read in the car for periods , then driving a little way away parking up and just sitting there and building up your steps slowly.
Keep an emergency kit with you - rescue remedy , mints ,nuts, book , puzzle ,rubix cube, relaxation CD are just examples of things I carted around in the car.

Recently I've sat for 1 3/4 hours in a traffic jam and also getting to Crufts on the M42 has been awful but neither gave me undue concern - When I was acute , a red light was about the extent of my waiting period.

This will pass.

Meg

Watch your thoughts, they become your words...
Watch your words, they become your actions... Watch your actions, they become your habits... Watch your habits, they become your character... Watch your character, it becomes your destiny...

Sinead
08-03-04, 18:16
Thank you Meg, for the information on the car kit, will give this a try.

Can any body tell me where i can get the rescue remedy or bach flower essences, and if you have tried these did they have any effect. Willing to give any thing a try. Lucky at the moment i am not at my worst with the panic attacks. But i do understand and feel for those who are.

Sinead

nomorepanic
08-03-04, 19:33
Sinead - are you in the uk? Most chemists sell the Bach flower remedies.

Take a look at this page on my website for more info - www.nomorepanic.co.uk/remedires.htm

Also check this post out too - Bach flower remedies (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=848)

Nicola