PDA

View Full Version : Diffulctly swallowing

NataLie23
03-11-10, 23:03
I don't understand why I have this , it's like when I'm nervous or when I get high anxiety it feels like my Tongue isn't there and I can't swallow I have to bite my Tongue . Sounds daft I know ? Ne 1 else get this ?

paula lynne
03-11-10, 23:16
Hi Natalie, my tongue goes numb when Im anxious, and my lips sometimes. Its hard to swallow I know, another common symptom Im afraid. Try to relax, it isnt dangerous x:hugs:

NataLie23
03-11-10, 23:21
Ok atleast it's normal for anxiety . It's very annoying that's my main symptom when I get anxious although it's everyday and night I'm hoping it's because of the meds that's why my anxiety is heightened at mo and I'm not going crazy XX Nat xx

itoldyouiwasill
03-11-10, 23:21
I don't understand why I have this , it's like when I'm nervous or when I get high anxiety it feels like my Tongue isn't there and I can't swallow I have to bite my Tongue . Sounds daft I know ? Ne 1 else get this ?

This is an incredibly common sensation that occurs with physical anxiety and whilst annoying and worrying is perfectly benign. I don't know if you have heard of Globus Hystericus but this condition relates to the throat, tongue and can even effect the facial muscles...the swallowing and gag reflex is the commonly effected.

NataLie23
03-11-10, 23:40
I'm learning alot since coming on here. Why does it happen tho? X

itoldyouiwasill
03-11-10, 23:54
I'm learning alot since coming on here. Why does it happen tho? X

No one seems to know for sure but a general opinion is that the throat (and also the tongue) are very much subject to muscular control. As I'm sure you know as soon as tension is in the body this is often conveyed through the muscles and they tighten etc...of course, anxiety causes said tension in spades.

Something else you need to factor in with this is the psychosomatic element. Once you begin to perceive that you are having problems with tongue weakness and/or throat swallowing etc it then becomes incredibly easy to focus on this and see and feel problems that are purely your subjective interpretion on the sensation rather than any real objective organic issue. Seriously, GP's (and mental health practioners) see this all the time and is so so common!

NataLie23
04-11-10, 00:02
Oh ok. Thanks for the info that is right tho as soon as I get that feeling I automatically assume I'm gonna have a panic attack . That's something I need to work on

itoldyouiwasill
04-11-10, 00:08
Oh ok. Thanks for the info that is right tho as soon as I get that feeling I automatically assume I'm gonna have a panic attack . That's something I need to work on

Indeed, all panic attacks are based on our assumptions of what is going to happen rather than the actual reality of the situation itself. Once we do this it then becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

nomorepanic
04-11-10, 11:09
The swallowing issue is to do with tension in the muscles in the throat and also the neck.

cooley2274
28-12-10, 17:37
hi, would be very grateful for some help.i am new to the site but not new to anxiety. ive looked at a lot of peopls thoughts about swallowing and i think my problem is different, there is nothing wrong with my throat.when i am speaking in public or group setting i get stuck and cant swallow it is very frustrating:mad:.when i speak i shouldnt be conscious that i need to swallow and when i go to, i get stuck(not every time)fortunately.would appreciate any any help:yesyes:thanx

ladybird64
28-12-10, 18:52
Hello Paul and:welcome:

I'm not sure if this will be of any use but have you had a look at this section?

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=84

Hope it helps

cooley2274
28-12-10, 19:01
thanku ladybird,
looked through a bit of it will search through it all:ohmy:there was one person on or should i say sufferer who had exactly the same condition but unfortunatley he hasnt been on for a year so hopefully he is cured:)thanx for help anyway