PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had risperdal?

chop
14-03-06, 11:59
I have been prescribed an anti psychotic drug, risperdal (risperidone) which also works for ptsd and bad anxiety apparently.

I am wondering any info on it if you have tried it. I am also on lexapro.

I have read some user reports on it but it seems too much like zombie you out like paroxetine (paxil - aropax) did with me. I dont think I would like it.

Any thoughts please or comments?

Its not a first line choice for GAD but they say it works for many and isnt a benzo. Also, they diagnosed me with ptsd after my recent being run over due to many things.

Thanks
Chop

Learning to under react

ruth
14-03-06, 19:56
Dear Chop

I was interested to read about you having been put on Risperidone, as far as I am aware this drug as you rightly say is an ant-pyscotic drug, used mainly for the treatment of Bi-polor disorder or as it used to be called "manic depression".

I do hope you are getting some results from it, and will start to feel better soon, I have started on paroxitine again, and have been feeling spaced out!!! still it does work for me eventually. has your gp prescribed it for you or maybe a pyschiatrist? would be interested to hear how you get on take care

Love Ruth

nomorepanic
14-03-06, 20:00
Chop

Sorry but I don't know much about it.

I found this other post ...

Risperdal (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=435)

Nicola

chop
16-03-06, 05:03
Thanks,
I tried it but it zonked me out and made me weat profusely all day even when sitting. I asked the Dr (yes psychiatrist) and she said it would be the same always. Those side effects dont normally go away (especially the zombie feelings) - so thats the worst feelings for my anxiety so no good for me but might be good for some who are VERY keyed up which I am too but I hate the zonked out feeling too. I just dont know what I am doing after I take it. Terrible for me.

Anyway, The psychiatrist said I am not skitzo or psyhcotic but it sometimes helps with anxiety in small doses.

Apparently I have bad GAD (for years and been treating for years) and PTSD after accident which has made my life hell as I cant get out and do anything. I just sit here or sleep :(

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react

Antipodes
18-03-06, 23:24
Hi,

I was recently on Risperidone (Risperdal). A 1mg per day dose. It is an anti-psychiotic but for PTSD-ers it is used at much lower doses. I was on another "anti-psychotic" Quetiapine (Seroquel) for about three years also. As long as the dose was relatively low, they both helped me magnificently for the ability to get to and stay asleep at night.

Risperidone made all food taste SO wonderful (like never before) - take great care with your food and calorie and carbs intake or you'll pile on the weight.

I hope this helps :- )

Antipodes

I have just come off Risperidone because it adversely reacted with my Venlafaxine (Effexor XR)

chop
19-03-06, 09:36
Glad it helped you although it kept me sleepy all day and out of it.

Certainly puts you to sleep though!

My body dont like these anti psychotics.

Cheers
Chop

Learning to under react