PDA

View Full Version : No Appetite - Any Tips?

heavenly
04-11-10, 11:29
Day 7 of 20mg Citalopram, have heightened anxiety and no appetite whatsoever, have lost 5lbs in the past week. I am doing my best to eat something as I know I will feel worse, if I don't, and hopefully this is only short term.

What do you eat to keep your strength up if you are not hungry?

paula lynne
04-11-10, 11:35
Hi Heavenly :)
You can get drinks from the chemist called Build Up. Lots of flavours, contain essentail vitamins, minerals, and calories. They are not meal repacements though. You could try them for a while until you get your appetite back x Obviousle, try to eat little and often, fruit, toast, soups etc as well if you can.

Maybe you could try one of each flavour (I think theres about 5/6 flavours), and see which ones you like.? Get better soon x:)

Hazel B
04-11-10, 11:55
Just to add to Paula's advice, you can also get Complan which is similar to Build Up, and is sweet or savoury.

Also try to have things like chicken soup, porridge, bananas, rice pudding, or milky drinks. I had fish fingers and mushy peas when I was anxious, it was a comfort! Anything easy to digest and not strong in flavour is good.

Hope you feel better soon, take care. x

jen1983
04-11-10, 12:53
i too have lostmy apetite im on week 3 of citalopram, im just forcin food down me, mainly good foods like fruit etc, so im getting my vitamins, it will pass hun we just got to be patient x

sparkles71
04-11-10, 13:10
hi heavenly, i had a diet of fruit, nuts,lots of water & milky drinks for the first couple of weeks., im now back to eating as normal most days. It will get better :)

Jellie
04-11-10, 13:52
Heya

I have the same thing at the moment, I find doing a little exercise helps a lot. Also those protein milkshikes are very good, get enough vitamins and try eating everyfew hours to keep up your energy and nutrition instead of having large meals.

Hope this helps

xx

heavenly
04-11-10, 15:09
Thanks so much everyone for the tips. My pharmacist told me to expect nausea and headaches. Haven't had either but have anxiety and no appetite. Just have to be patient, cannot wait for these meds to kick in!

RichW
05-11-10, 02:45
Hi Heavenly

Don't be alarmed by the lack of appetite, it will come back. I can wholeheartedly recommend a product maunfactured by PVL called "Mutant Mass". This is a bodybuilding supplement specifically designed for skinny guys who struggle to put on weight. You can halve the serving and it will still deliver approximately 600 calories! The Vanilla flavour is particularly nice. Also on a daily basis, I'd recommend a good multivitamin, Omega 3 fish oil (mercury tested) and a B-Vitamin complex which is really good for managing stress levels. The calories in the supplement do not comprise of filler and junk but are quality calories and are nutricious.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Rich

Lizziesaurus
05-11-10, 07:51
This has happened to me as well, trying to eat when I do feel hungry but nothing jumps out saying 'eat me eat me'! I think I have actually lost weight as well, not sure if it's the cit or just me not eating much in general regardless of the meds but I've pretty much come down a dress size in the past month or so. Problem I'm having is that I've had issues with food in the past so I don't care about not eating and actually prefer it :wacko:

heavenly
05-11-10, 09:20
Thanks everyone, made myself have a banana for breakfast, I used to take it forgranted when I was hungry, now I really want my appetite back.