PDA

View Full Version : Do i have an allergy or just over anxious?

molkogirl
04-11-10, 12:25
Hi,
I was hoping someone could help i am unsure whether or not i have an allergy and if so what to.
Firstly i started to get really bad stomach pains, short of breath and sweating straight after eating certain food, i realised it was egg and so totally cut egg out of my diet and the pains went.
Then i got a terrible sore bleeding nose with congestion and sneezing and doc said it was allergic rhinitis ( i have never had hay fever before)
The symptoms i have now are itching around jaw line, throat, shoulders, tummy and arms. I have dry patches of skin on the upper arms and a pinprick type patch of skin on lower arm. Stinging itchy eyes, rhinitis, very dark circles under eyes, palpitations, sweating, fatigue.
Last night i had chinese chicken with chips and within 10 mins i was weak, sweating, terrible stomache ache and strong palpitations. Today the stomache ache has not passed and i still feel weak and shaky.
Do you think this sounds like food allergy or am i just being over anxious?
and if so how can i determine what i am allergic to?
My doc just asked if i had cats and then blamed them. gave me a medcine which made me feel worse. The cats are only in one room of the house so i dont think its them.
Many thanks for any advice
Sarah

Dahlia
04-11-10, 12:38
Hi Sarah

I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like maybe you have 2 things going on here. The effects you are having after eating certain foods sound like an intolerance - I get the exact same symptoms from eating anything with onion in it. The allergic rhinitis, sounds like an allergy perhaps to something else. I don't know how you could work out what it is. I had similar symptoms to you for about 8 months, and my GP put me on antihistamines and the symptoms went. It turned out I had a mould allergy (I had a leaking roof, and although I couldn't see mould, the spores were in the air). Autumn is a key time for mould allergy, as the leaves are rotting. I had never suffered with an allergy before. You could try a non-sedating antihistamine (I assume the other antihistamine whacked you out?) like Piretese to see if that works.

Dahlia

molkogirl
04-11-10, 13:03
Thanks for the advice, i do have some non drowsy antihistamine but i didn't want to mask the problem if it was a food allergy.
You are probably right with the mould allergy, i started in august with the rhinitis and we do get some mould problems upstairs in the winter, we live in a council house. I will give the tablets a go and see if they clear it up.
Thanks again
Sarah

michelle8165
06-04-11, 19:30
i ate nuts one sunday night then about ten mins later i went numb every such then i keep thinking i have got a food allerty nd it worrie me that much it set my anxitey/panic attack off i keep thinking i have food allery and dont eat much eny more please help