PDA

View Full Version : Please reply, really worried.

cassy1989
04-11-10, 19:54
The other day I cleaned my cat litter tray out with bleach and it stung my nostrils a bit. I forgot about it and tonight I done it again and this time my nostrils and my throat stung. I looked it up on the internet and it said it is dangerous to mix bleach with cat wee because of ammonia. I am really panicking now and thinking some thing is going to happen to me. My son was also in the room at the time but he didn't say he felt ill or any thing so I am hoping he is ok!
I rung my Mum and my boy friend and they both said I would be fine but I am still so scared. On the internet it said often it can take several hours for the full effects to get to you. I feel like my throat is sore now and my head is tight but my Mum said it is because I am worrying so much.
Do you think you would have to breathe in a lot for it to you any damage? Please answer xx

Horse
04-11-10, 20:05
As far as Ammonia is concerned, a slight sniff similar to yours is completely harmless.

If you were trapped in a room with no ventilation and Ammonia was constantly leaking from some source then that would be different.

Open the windows if you're that worried, but speaking as a ex cat owner, you'll be fine.

cassy1989
04-11-10, 20:07
Hi Horse. Thank you for replying so quickly. I hope you are right, I thought I was doing well and then some thing like this sends me into a blind panic! Did you ever use bleach on a cat litter tray? x

jillyb
04-11-10, 20:15
Cassy, your Mum is right!!! But I know what you mean ... the top came off the Cillit Bang and some went up my nose and in my throat - guess what, I panicked big time. Absolutely sure something terrible was going to happen - it didn't!
Don't know about cats and litter trays (I've got a dog) but it's lovely that you care so much about her/him. They say that stroking pets is really good for you so maybe you should sit down somewhere warm and cosy and cuddle up to the cat! Can't do that with my dog in the evenings cos he's a grumpy old man at night and just gives a very bad tempered grrrrrrrrr!
Take care x

Horse
04-11-10, 20:46
Cassy
Yes, used to use bleach all the time as well as for mopping the tiles in the kitchen whe we had dogs. Dont worry IF anything was going to happen, then you would have known by now, but the amount was too little anyway.

By the way, just for laughs, whatever you do...........DONT acidentally swallow any mouthwash (as I did this morning) whilst rinsing! It feels like you've swallowed a javellin. my second time as well and I'm still here!!!

Dahlia
04-11-10, 20:52
You'll be fine. I used to dye my hair in my bathroom and that has ammonia in it. If you're worried in future, maybe try one of those Dettox/Dettol anti-bacterial surface sprays?

I always get a stingy throat and nostrils when I use most cleaning products.

bexy1970
04-11-10, 20:52
hi hun, hey when i dye my hair the smell of ammonia is terrible!!!! i cant breathe!!! they wouldnt be allowed to sell it if it was dangerous babe!!! plse dont worry xxx

cassy1989
04-11-10, 20:59
Hi thanks for replying. I didn't think of hair dye and I have dyed my hair before too. I am starting to realise I am being silly now. I think I was just so worried because of the fact at first it was neat bleach on cat wee and thats what started affecting me. I normally use salt and thats fine but I had run out.
I was also worried because my son was in the room with me at the time but he seems ok. I hate panicking so much :(

cassy1989
04-11-10, 21:02
Sorry I just realised where I was panicking my first post wasn't very clear. I meant to put because of the ammonia in the cat wee and the bleach mixed together make chlorine and thats whats dangerous.

bexy1970
04-11-10, 21:06
if chlroine was so dangerous why do pools stink of it hun??? honest i sufferd severe ha and know how your feeling!! but honest your being a dafty!!!! xxxxx

bexy1970
04-11-10, 21:09
hey, i still do suffer with ha, but ive learnt to rationaize thigs!!! ive mixed allsorts with my cats wee etc!!! and had the burning nose,but im still here and fine hun xxx

cassy1989
04-11-10, 22:34
I rung the nhs direct because I was worrying so much but they said because of my lack of symptoms I will be waiting up to 8 hours for some body to ring me back.

cassy1989
06-11-10, 18:13
Sorry to bump this again but I am still worrying. Two days on. I keep worrying that some thing is still going to happen to me. I have a bit of a sore throat and I keep thinking its because of that and perhaps the gas burnt my throat?

jillyb
06-11-10, 18:21
Cassy, as you say, it's two days since you did it - nothing has happened!!! You are fine ... your 'bit' of a sore throat is nothing to worry about. I think this is your HA taking hold of you!!! Is your Mum worried? Nope .... and believe me, Mum's are great worriers for their kids as you are for your kid! Go and watch the TV, or read a story to your boy ... he'd love that. Sleep well and try and forget about it. x