PDA

View Full Version : progress

wane
04-11-10, 22:09
i must say i have recently been forced to work in a charity shop in my home town (a condition after being out of work for so many months). Before this i hadnt worked before. I am 22. I have been to college and university. Its not that i dont want to work. Its just that my social anxiety has been so severe. I am on 60mg paroxetine for nearly 2 years now and to be honest it is the medication which has allowed me to even do this charity work. I just couldnt have worked before without medication. The exposure has helped a bit but i still have the problem.

daybyday
04-11-10, 22:13
Glad to hear you are out doing something. They say charity work is good because it is a giving of yourself. Keep trying. Here is a hug to help:hugs:

paula lynne
04-11-10, 22:28
Thats a great positive step wade x

nervy-paul
12-11-10, 14:53
Hi Wane,

I work in a charity shop, have done for nearly three years now, though I went there purely to be doing something useful and feeling I would benefit, pull my shy self out abit. On the whole I have greatly enjoyed my experience and have got to know some lovely people I wouldn't have otherwise known. The 'politics' side of it is a a sure downer, their has been a lot of upheaval for the charity and in the shop this past few months, and I have not enjoyed that. I have had thoughts of leaving now and again, but have no idea of where I would go next. I hope you benefit from the volunteering as much as I have, and it is sure progress, so well done you.

SUPERem
18-11-10, 13:45
Well done Wane! That's really something to be proud of. I wish I could follow in your footsteps, it's so difficult for me right now..

Lion King
18-11-10, 14:40
Well Done,

I had severe SAD, I couldn't even step out the front door!

I take Citalopram at 40mg for my condition, after 3 months and CBT I felt really good, but in order to get better I had to identfiy my weaknesses in order of easiest to most difficult, this gave me a hit list of what I needed to conquer The only way to attempt this was try each and assess how I felt after repeated exposure, eventually the anxiety starts to subside as you come to realise that nothing bad is going to happen, if it does go bad I had to remember not to be harsh on myself and perseverse by giving my positive affirmations.

Keep at it one step at a time and you will conquer.

Try Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for Dummies, I found this book became my bible!

LK x