PDA

View Full Version : i think i'm going to die (sorry for the dramatic title)

Andromeda
05-11-10, 00:37
it's been such a long time since i've posted here everyone!
My last panic attack was in April and since then i've been managing my health anxiety as best i can.

Sure i've had a few minor episodes here and there but generally, i've been doing so well. i've been living as normally as i can and even got myself back into full time work. (for a medical insurance company - irony at it's best!)

Today i have felt particularly anxious, it started when i woke up. It seemed to go away during the day but came back when i got home from work.

I split my anxiety into two levels.
The first is everyday anxiety, the type i get regularly. Those little moments where suddenly i feel sick with nerves, these feelings i've very much gotten used to and brush them off straight away.

The second is my 'utter terror' anxiety level, which, i haven't experienced since April. This is a sudden (and seemingly random) overwhelming fear that something is seriously wrong with my body and i'm about to drop dead!

I had just settled into bed about 15 minutes ago when suddenly i felt really dizzy (while lying down!) and the room appeared to spin. I got up to open my window and felt myself rocking?
My eyes have now gone all funny and flickery and i feel like someone has their hands around my throat, i feel like i can't swallow properly and my throats closing up so i can't breath properly.
My head feels so strange, my arms went tingly for a moment and i felt like i was about to drop down dead!
I keep thinking my vision is going blurry and i'm sat up now but feel like i'm either going to fall forward or backwards!

I drank a bit of coca-cola tonight which i normally completely avoid so i presume this may have added to my anxiety, it's also my time of the month so this has probably also increased my anxiety levels. Sorry, i'm trying to rationalise with myself.

I'm just really worried that it's something serious as i have not had this feeling in such a long time, what if i'm seriously ill? i don't want my heart to stop!
I started writing this at 12:10am, it's now been 30 minutes, if something serious was wrong, it would have surfaced by now right? and i wouldn't have been able to concentrate on writing all this? Really need some reassurance before i do something drastic like ring an ambulance.

I absolutely cannot go backwards, i have done SO well and i don't want to throw that all away over nothing.

I just have this niggling feeling it's something bad :weep: i don't want to die

shaggyowen
05-11-10, 00:43
just chill out watch some tv get a paper bag and beath in and out of it that will help the dizzyness most probs your probs hypaventalating i didnt think i was once when i actouly was so then relised after looking how fast that bad was going lol get plenty of water in you that always genraly makes me feel better and if you can fone a friends up or talk to your patner its good to go otuside and get some fresh air to i think hope this helps

xBettyBoopx
05-11-10, 00:55
Hi Andromeda

You are not going to die! I know exactly how you are feeling, a lot of us here do and have been where you are a gazillion times, so please be reassured that it's anxiety and nothing more harmful.

The dizziness that you felt when you laid down sounds like an inner ear problem. Was the room spinning, like when you are drunk? I have had that and it's awful but nothing to worry about, honestly. That would have triggered a whole bunch of anxiety, which you have been feeling. Your body and mind will calm down soon and hopefully you will fall asleep.

Can you try to distract yourself by playing some games while waiting for the anxiety to lessen? Do something to distract yourself, it's a short term solution for now.

Well done on feeling so much better since April, please don't think that you are back at square one, that will only happen if you let it, see this as a minor 'blip'. I know it's easy for me to say but if I had a penny for every time I thought I was gonna die, I would be a billionaire.

Els

phil06
05-11-10, 01:21
The second is my 'utter terror' anxiety level, which, i haven't experienced since April. This is a sudden (and seemingly random) overwhelming fear that something is seriously wrong with my body and i'm about to drop dead

I can relate to this yes.

Does it make you feel run down and worried for days after these panics?

I have suffered anxiety on all levels and I am sure not everything can reach that "terror" level..I compare it to a trauma or shock very dramatic but really there's little threat. It's the kind of attack that would make you want to rush to A&E right? I believe it's the adrenaline caused from the flight/fight response of anxiety which creates a rush.

It's a hard battle but they do say cut caffeine out, exercise..brisk walk, relaxation and learn to accept it. Just remember when you read the post back that you are still alive..and it was just panic levels going high. You have control..too much control of how you feel. It's almost like turning the heating up too high..

Course as natural as anxiety is it's an uncomfortable and desperate experience.

Nigel
05-11-10, 01:51
Hi Andromeda,

Hope you’re feeling a bit better now. If still no better it might be an idea to give NHS Direct (http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/) a ring on 0845 4647, just for reassurance. However, it seem like you think it’s more like anxiety.

“I started writing this at 12:10am, it's now been 30 minutes, if something serious was wrong, it would have surfaced by now right?”

I don’t know much about medical stuff, but my uneducated opinion would tend to agree. If so many symptoms came on so suddenly, I would’ve thought they would’ve continued to worsen.

Also, reading between the lines, it sounds like you can recognise these symptoms as being like those you used to experience with panic. A real new illness would probably have some different symptoms.

But I’m no expert, so if in doubt, please get an expert opinion, just to be safe.

“I absolutely cannot go backwards, i have done SO well and i don't want to throw that all away over nothing.”

I had a cold last winter. I won’t be pleased if I get another this year, but it won’t be a disaster :winks:

Neither will it be a disaster if you ever experience another panic attack. These things just happen sometimes. The secret is to not give it any importance – just like that pesky cold.

Take care :)
Nigel