PDA

View Full Version : To take medications or not? What is better?

GreyGirl
05-11-10, 21:12
Hello:)
I am constantly stressed. I don;t have real problems,just unreal ones.
Intrusive thoughts,ocd,obsessions,irrational fears,strange sensations etc...

I never used anti-depressants:)
I am trying to get over it with self control and meditations.
I don't have resullts.

My hands are constantly trembling,i am non-stop occuped with my irrtional worries...so my question is...
Is it possible if i don't threat my condition to become worst?
Is it possible to go crazy because of this?

Last time i found myself so confused,as i know something is real but it seems unreal,i feel my head mixed up,as nothing is clear in my mind even things are changed.

Pls let me know and help me...am i going insane?
Whould anti-depressants help?
Someone felt like this?

GreyGirl
06-11-10, 14:52
Pls,if there is someone to reply or give advice?

nomorepanic
06-11-10, 14:58
This is a very emotive subject on here I am afraid and there will be those that love medication and those that hate it.

I won't reply as such but hang fire and others will I am sure.

Dizz
06-11-10, 15:19
Hiya Greygirl

I can't really answer that as I was put on anti-d's but only took 3 then binned them as they made me a lot worse.... but other people on here say they really help so maybe I just didn't give myself long enough to get used to them. Personally I'd rather try and resolve without medication as I don't want to 'mask' it I want to 'get rid' but like I say that is only MY opinion based on ME and MY symptoms.

Guess it's down to each individual but I'm going down the self control, deep breathing and natural way myself and am on a waiting list for CBT (although have started a free online course which was put on here and it's very good...) If you want the link to it I'll find ot for you.

I have been told by various peple that meditation is great for anxiety and stress or just general wellbeing etc. Reflexology and hypnotherapy are supposed to be good too as they are all very calming and mind 'sorting' although not tried them yet but I have a reflex session next week so I'll let you know.

I'm sure your doctor will advise you what is best for you at the moment though and maybe you should take it from there and see how you go :hugs:

jillyb
06-11-10, 15:50
Well, to start with, you are not going insane!!!! I'm with you really on the no meds route .... but that is based on a)my fear of taking medication and b)thinking that I should be able to conquer this without them (though I am having to take a few diazepam at the moment, first time, but way over the top with my anxiety at the moment). Judging by many of the people on here, lots are being helped by taking medication. My problems sound very similar to yours, but I am beginning to think that perhaps medication would help (I know my family would love me to take them, just to get the old me back!). I am having cbt at the moment, so I am hoping that will help. I must say though, these diazepam are definately helping me not to feel so anxious and so I can deal with the irrational thoughts more easily. I am also reading a book called The Worry Cure which makes a lot of sense. Bit more difficult to put it into practice though!
Whatever you decide to do, good luck, and don't forget - it's one small step at a time on the road to recovery.
Take care x

Vixxy
06-11-10, 16:20
I've posted this before somewhere, but it's how I feel AD's help.
Imagine you're standing on a board that's balancing on a ball. It's hard to stay up right, and you spend all day struggling just to keep balanced.
Now imagine you're on that board, but instead of a ball, the board is balanced on a cube. That cube means you can spend less time balancing and more time focused on getting better.
AD's to me are the cube. They offer you support and a firm ground to use to pick yourself up.

Geoff2301
06-11-10, 17:21
I used to think AD's were the answer but have gradually changed my mind. Been on various types over 20 odd years with doses being switch/varied etc....... they appear to work but now really doubt they ever did anything much other than a placebo effect. Last one was paroxetine 20mg which worked for a while then had to up to 40mg,,,, again worked for a while then upped to 60mg. More problems and on the max dose so opted for exercise, relaxation, saw a councellor privately and gave up the AD's...... touch wood... feeling fine at the moment! Read a fascinating book bt prof. Irving Kirsch all about the myths concerning antidepressants............ if what he says is correct, and looking at all the evidence he supplies, that would appear to be the case, they really have no clinical effect other than a placebo so we may all have endured all those nasty sideeffects for nothing!!..... mind you, the placebo effect is pretty strong but if you think an empty pill is going to cure anxiety/depression.... it seems it probably will!! The fact is, most depressions will lift on their own after a period of time and when we think the ad's are beginning to kick in..... is it just our body naturally curing itself,,,, who knows?!!

Jabz
06-11-10, 17:38
Okay, this is a sensitive topic, but here is my opinion.

I've been dealing with OCD ever since i can remember as a little kid, it didn't bother me then because I didn't care, but it has been bothering me for the past 5 years.

I've been dealing with panic attacks and general anxiety for the past 5 years, now let me clarify that, i've been living with them full blown for the past 5 years and REALLY dealing with them for the past year. Go ahead and check my posts from 2010, im sure you can find a post where I think I am going crazy.

I have not used any medication and don't plan on, because as I have discovered in the past year cognitive therapy and lifestyle changes work just as well or even better than medication. You can use medication to help you start changing your life, but it shouldn't be a crutch as so many people use it for just that.

Getting off medication is always much harder than dealing with panic/anxiety on its own, don't believe me? just search this forum for people getting off medication.

I think about it this way, my body deserves better than medication, not there is anything wrong with it, but medication is not going to get to the ROOT of your problem and believe me...there is a root. Medication is not going anywhere, you can start changing your life gradually by exercising,breathing, meditating, cognitive therapy and remember it takes more than one week to get results, hell it takes more than months to get results, but it does come through. If all else fails after you've given it your BEST ATTEMPT at EVERYTHING not just breathing, but no exercising...etc, then you can try small doses of medication AND continue to try to change your life.

So many times people take medication and that's it, they forget about their problems they think they are good to go, only to have it get worse a little bit later and they have to increase dosage or get on new medication. This is a risk you take with taking medication, because at the end of the day it all comes down to YOU, whether you take it or not...IT IS YOU who is in charge of changing your body and mind.

Medication can come with side effects....exercise, diet, breathing, meditation, visualization, cognitive therapy...none of these come with side effects and you will eventually have to do these whether you're on medication or not.

So why not give yourself a REAL chance to recover a REAL attempt, remember patience is a virtue, but you HAVE to be proactive, you HAVE to force yourself to stay on course and you HAVE to keep positive, depression/anxiety is all in your cognitive behavior, it is almost a habit. You have to stop trying to control it and start trying to live with it, until it stops controlling you.

This is just my opinion.

PanchoGoz
06-11-10, 17:40
How long is a piece of string.

joannap
06-11-10, 18:28
hi greygirl - there is no way you will go insane lol! people who go insane don;t spend time wondering if and when they will but it is a common fear with anxiety.

i wonder if you have made lifestyle changes that will help you feel less stressed? The reason i ask is that i felt i had nothing to be stressed about but the way i lived my life - always late for things/never winding down on an evening/always "doing" etc so my adrenalin levels were naturally high because i was always "up" so now i have a long leisurely bath and make sure i sit down and read/watch tv etc.

regarding being obsessed with irrational worries - the more you try to get rid of anxiety symptoms the more they persist so why not try just letting your mind run around in circles? and also try changing some negative thoughts to more realistic ones? this is what i do - i let my mind do what it wants but i do use positive self talk etc. a good bach flower remedy for an over active mind is white chestnut. the best way to overcome any anxiety symptom is acceptance and time - if a symptom no longer matters (ie - you are no longer getting worked up about it and therefore stop adding extra adrenalin into your system) - then it starts to fade.

i also very much agree with the posts regarding not taking medication. i too used to think ssris were wonder drugs but when i look back i think - were they really? the side effects for me were horrendous when starting them and they took up to 6 weeks to work but when i have come through a set back with no medication - with acceptance and the right attitude i have vastly improved in the same timescale anyway.

i did take citalopram for 6-7 years - i have been off them a month and i have to say it has been a nightmare - i have had horrendous withdrawal and am still suffering a wide range of wierd and wonderful symptoms so i would always say if you can cope without - do not take medication because in the long run - they cause more problems than they solve and i think you will find that many people come round to this way of thinking after they have been off/on them for years x

Caroline39
06-11-10, 20:42
Hi, my name is Caroline. I took my first Citalopram tablet this morning and I'm struggling with the side effects.. I've tired herbal remidies such as St Johns Wort and Quite life tablets, but were still getting symptoms after 3 weeks of taking them.. Burning feelings down my arms and shoulders and tingling in my hands and feet.. along with others.. so I went to the doctors and he put me on the lowest dose 10mg.. Is it possible to get side effects from the fist dose?? I really don't want to take them again.. Can someone advise me?? Many thanks.. :)

Vixxy
06-11-10, 21:07
Hi Caroline, yes you can get side effects from the first dose. It is worth getting past them though, as once they start to work the benefits will be good. May I suggest cutting the 10mg in half and taking only 5mg for a few days? That's how I start on mine, it takes longer to get to the benefits, but it cuts out a lot of the crap side effects :)

pegdog
06-11-10, 22:38
Hello GreyGirl

I have been experiencing panic attacks to various degrees for about five years. I have never taken any medication simply because I am too scared about what will happen to me if I do - that's how bad I am. I manage to work through it either by avoiding situations where I know I will panic or 'giving it a go' and seeing what happens. Yesterday I had to walk out of the dentist's surgery because I got so panicky - hugely embarrassing but I spent ten minutes in there which I didn't think I would manage. OK, now I have to face going back again in December but I'm going to try some meditation to help me through. If I take tablets I could end up worse and that's not a risk I want to take. It's all about being in control of yourself - and if I fill my body with chemicals then they might be in control of me.

I hope people who choose to take medication can accept my opinion - I think for those who want to take it, if it helps then well done. You have to do what you think is right for yourself and do whatever helps to make you feel better.

Whatever you do will be right, I'm sure.

shaggyowen
06-11-10, 23:41
i would personaly say try self help first and if it really dosent help then consult your doctor and ask him/her about the options =]

Caroline39
07-11-10, 19:16
Thank you to everyone that responded to my post. I do appreciate it and cutting it down to 5mg's is a possibility so thank you Vixxy for your advice. How long have you been taking them? When you cut them in half did you deal with the side effects better? Pls let me know, caroline.. :)

Groundhog
07-11-10, 19:44
And here’s mine for what it’s worth. I don’t suffer anxiety permanently, it comes and goes (gone more than there thank goodness) My doc gave me a few Valium to keep in the back of the cupboard and its reassuring to know they are there although I have only succumbed a couple of times when things got really tough. I take natural remedies / supplements and am seeing a psychologist who is absolutely wonderful. I did take citalopram some years ago and it me feel awful for a week and then seemed to make no difference for the two months I took them thereafter so I’m afraid I have little faith in them. I am tough on myself in that I force myself to go to the gym regular, try to eat healthily etc etc. This works for me and my particular disposition.

It’s important to realise that we are all different and I believe if anyone is suffering they should see their doc and explain they want to pursue other avenues other than pills and they should work with you to obtain results with that in mind

Vixxy
07-11-10, 19:49
Hi again Caroline. I'm not on Citalopram any more, but I recently went onto Seroxat (another SSRI). I have a fear of the side effects from taking meds, so I ended up cutting mine into 1/4's and took that until I was brave enough to take 1/2. I did get minor side effects from doing it this way, but it was so negligible that it didn't effect my health.

Caroline39
07-11-10, 19:59
Thanx Vixxy that's reassuring I'm going to try cutting them in half and taking them for the first 4 days them trying the 10mg and see how I get on.

Hi Groundhog, I have tried herbal remedies, I do yoga and pilates and see my friends as often as possible, but I still get symptoms of anxiety that's why I'm trying this nxt route.. I do understand what you are saying.. All I want is for the feelings and sensations to stop and to enjoy being with my husband and 2 boys.. Thanx for your advice though.. xxx

Dizz
08-11-10, 21:56
Probably shouldn't say this but one of my neighbours has just walked out on her hubby out of the blue. She seemed a really chilled and happy person but turns out she's not and been on citalopram for a long while and whilst they helped her in some way they also apparently numbed her to such an extent that she said she no longer felt anything for her family or anything else associated with them ..... so walked out:ohmy::weep:
So maybe medication is not the best option until other methods have been tried.

trooper
08-11-10, 23:17
Its great you are experimenting with self help, meditation is helpful for all people regardless of their levels of anxiety or depression in my book. Keep at it for sure.

I have had general anxiety and social phobias since a child, I have spent decades waking up every day feeling like the world is a stressful, negative, threatening place whilst trying to go about the normal business of living.

I did anti depressants before, the first brand worked amazingly, I couldn't believe how confident and carefree I felt. I was instantly able to love and be sympathetic to others where previously I was unavailable to do either. Sadly this brand was discontiuned and I was put on various SSRI's and I didn't get on with these. Eventually I came off them, which was a bit miserable but not quite as bad as I had thought.

I battled on for years thinking I had concurred it as it slowly swamped me and again. I started therapy a year and a half ago determined to do it without medication..

After a year of therapy, my therapist whom is pretty anti drugs recommended i went on them. I have 100% faith in my therapist and I know he would not suggest it unless he really felt it was the best.

I am on Citalopram now, they are FAR from a silver bullet and the side effects can be annoying. However, I can now see how severe the anxiety I was dealing with every day was and how it was affecting my relationships and ability to function at work. I'd hit a wall in both and my therapy and without getting past the severity of the emotional torment Id learnt to endure I don't think I would have improved.

The causation for my anxiety and emotional disorders (for want of a better description) are complex and formed in my early child hood and reinforced throughout my life to date. There is never going to be a quick and easy route to reverse this. Assuming its not a genetic problem beyond my environment (or indeed a combination).

Medication in my personal view is not an ideal solution, there really isn't such a thing but it can be part of a healing / recovery process.

I am a massive advocate of therapy. Do go it alone, you're asking your brain to observe itself, and heal itself when, it can't be in two places at once. Its like asking a broken down car to push itself up a hill.

I have made massive progress in a year of therapy with a psychotherapist, after 20+ years of being in the darkness. Taking citalopram has given me some rest bite and an ability to function for a while whilst I run my life and go through therapy. I don't want to be on them any longer than I have too, and I wish I could have done it without them. But I was in a dangerous place before and I don't think I could have broken the cycle without them.

If I could give you any advice it would be seek out good professional advice (as well as the very valuable opinions and advice you can get here), speak through your options with your GP about medication. And possibly seek out a good local therapist (even if you have to pay), its your health and you're worth getting the best attention and support.

Good luck in whatever you decide, there will be plenty of support here which ever route you decide is best. :)

blueangel
09-11-10, 09:33
I agree with Trooper on this. I've done both things - medication and talk therapies, so if you want my two pennyworth based on my own experiences:

There are lots of different medications out there to deal with anxiety, depression and related problems. They all have side effects to some extent or other, but the thing that can't be guessed is who will suffer from them - there's only one way to find out, and that's to take them.

They do take a while to work - for me it was usually 2-3 weeks. I didn't suffer too much with side effects; on the older-style ones (amitryptyline etc.) I found they made me quite drowsy and I felt a bit out of touch with the world. This wasn't unbearable though, and at the time I was desperately in need of sleep.

Of the newer style ones, I've taken Seroxat (which worked fine, but they can be a bugger to get off), Prozac (which I only took for a couple of weeks, as they gave me blinding headaches and some very, very odd ideations which made me think I was invincible) and Citalopram (which I've taken on 2 or 3 occasions, and they worked fine). All antidepressants have to be withdrawn from gradually, as you have to allow the concentration of them in your blood to decrease slowly. Cold turkeying off them can cause some nasty rebound effects.

However, the most important thing I discovered about medication is that it treated the effects and not the cause. They would stabilise me well and I could function fine whilst taking them. I would come off them and be fine for quite long periods of time. BUT.... eventually the anxiety or depression would come back, because I hadn't nailed what was causing it.

I've had two spells of counselling, one whilst I was on medication (about 7 years ago), which helped me deal with panic attacks to the extent that I now hardly ever get them (I think I've had 2 or 3 in the last 7 years) and also taught me a lot of the mechanisms behind anxiety, which was very useful.

I had a second try at counselling about 3 years ago, and this was nowhere near as successful, but I suspect this was because the style of counselling just didn't suit me. I'm quite goal-focussed and need to feel that I'm achieving something, whereas I ended up feel that I was talking round in circles.

I've now just started CBT and have had an assessment session and two other sessions. Obviously, I've got to see how this pans out, but I'm hoping that it will be useful. At the moment I'm not on any medication as I just don't feel this would be help me much.

So, I suppose what I'm trying to say that the whole thing is "horses for course" - and it's down to whatever works for you best.

IndianStar
09-11-10, 15:03
i was really anti meds until about 2 months ago, i started a very low dose 0.5mg of flupentixol which is an anti depressant which helps with people who may or may not have anxiety too. its really helped, your doctor may wanna double your dose but if you gotta good one like mine they wont force you to and i know have counselling too and had computerized cbt before too! x

ElizabethJane
09-11-10, 15:13
i was really anti meds until about 2 months ago, i started a very low dose 0.5mg of flupentixol which is an anti depressant which helps with people who may or may not have anxiety too. its really helped, your doctor may wanna double your dose but if you gotta good one like mine they wont force you to and i know have counselling too and had computerized cbt before too! x
Flupentixol is an anti- psychotic and not an anti depressant. It has an off label use in low doses for anxiety. It was devised to treat mental illness such as schizophrenia and it is only recently that doctors have realised its uses in treating anxiety. EJ.

IndianStar
09-11-10, 18:18
Flupentixol is an anti- psychotic and not an anti depressant. It has an off label use in low doses for anxiety. It was devised to treat mental illness such as schizophrenia and it is only recently that doctors have realised its uses in treating anxiety. EJ.

anti psychotic :| on the info packet it says to treat depression and the doctor said that too. im worried now. what the hell :scared15:

ladybird64
09-11-10, 18:57
Hi folks.

EJ, I have had a look on quite a few sites and it is licensed for use in depression, usually in lower doses.

I just wanted to reassure IndianStar that they are not suffering from a psychotic illness that the doc hasn't mentioned! :winks:

suzy-sue
09-11-10, 19:05
I too was on it Indian star .Low dose for anxiety .I was on it a year ,it took the edge off but when it got severe and the depression hit ,I was taken off it .It made me a bit tired but after a while I got used to it .Sue x

Caroline39
10-11-10, 10:42
Hi all, thanx 4 all your comments.. I went to the doctors on Monday and he's prescribed another anti-depressant which I am now taking... I feel ok so far, but I know it's early days too. It's a lot milder than Citalopram and I was very afraid to take them so to be honest it's a relief.. The doctor has also referred me for CBT... Has anybody had this treatment, if you have let me know, be great to hear your opinions.. Thanx everyone... Caroline.. :hugs:

IndianStar
10-11-10, 13:14
thanks lady bird and suzy su for that i was actually worried and thought i was mad then (like i dont think it neways).

ive had computerized CBT which is different to normal CBT. CCBT was rubbish to me, i felt id tried everything that they said for me to do.

Bethie
10-09-11, 02:11
Did your doctor have you wean off the drug or did you stop taking it cold turkey? I understand that weaning off of a drug is usually the smart thing to do. Good luck to you in all that you do. Best wishes.

Bill
10-09-11, 02:49
This is an old thread so I don't know if these people are still here. In answer to your question, you should Never go cold turkey or stop taking meds without consulting your doctor first because it depends on the nature of your condition, what type of meds you're on and how long you've been taking them.:hugs: