PDA

View Full Version : Hello there.

TDK
06-11-10, 01:00
Hey guys/girls.

My name is Tom, I'm 23 years old and live in South Wales, UK.

For the last few years, I feel I've changed significantly, before I was quite confident and reasonably social.

Now, I am borderline recluse, I lost my job in a newsagents in July and since then have either been at home or my mums or the local shops.

I am scared of busy places and can freak out in town centres ie: dizziness, feel awkward and feel everyone is looking at me. Next thing I know, I'm clutching my car keys and walking back to the car. I never use public transport, as I have to have an immediate escape route. What is wrong with me??

I'm quite unattractive and I get stared at sometimes, another reason for not going anywhere these days.

I've been accepted for a job in a factory and I start on Monday. My dad is in the finance department and got me a interview.

I never liked the factory to begin with, it's a huge place, very plain and my biggest fear - a lot of people - 247 of them actually.

I never told my dad that I was having doubts about the job, I just put on an happy face.

Now I'm starting there and I am terrified, new job, new people, no escape route (unless I run out)

I get terrible stomach cramps, that pit feeling in my stomach every time I think of the place.

My main fears are people judging me and bullying. I know my dad works there but I can't cry to him can I?

It's so bad I thought 'what If I just drive away and never come back' or stupidly 'what if I just kill myself'?

What if on my first day people laugh at me or have that look of disgust? Do I quit and disappoint my dad? Or do I ignore them and do my job? Or do I get aggressive with them and verbally abuse them?

I find life so tough these days, I sometimes want it to end, but would be too afraid to go down that route.

Anyway, is anyone in a similar situation? What the hell do I do?

Thank you,

Tom.

diane07
06-11-10, 01:01
Hi TDK

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

Going home
06-11-10, 01:07
Hi Tom. You say at the beginning of your post that you were once quite confident and reasonably social, so did anything in particular happen to change this?

Anna xx

TDK
06-11-10, 01:10
Hi Tom. You say at the beginning of your post that you were once quite confident and reasonably social, so did anything in particular happen to change this?

Anna xx

I got older, more self conscious, was more aware of people judging me.

My parents divorced last year, but I don't think it was that, I was slowly becoming like I am then.

Going home
06-11-10, 01:12
So you feel that it was creeping up on you before they divorced? but maybe there was alot of tension and turmoil in the house leading up to their separation do you think?

TDK
06-11-10, 01:17
So you feel that it was creeping up on you before they divorced? but maybe there was alot of tension and turmoil in the house leading up to their separation do you think?

I was like this before they divorced, it's been slowly creeping on me since 2006. I feel fine in a environment that I'm happy with ie: at home or with my family, but when I go anywhere public, I just seize up.

Going home
06-11-10, 01:33
Its quite a common problem here Tom, take the time to read the relevant threads and posts and you will see that you're not alone with this.

Take care
Anna xx

paulst
06-11-10, 10:15
Hi Tom welcome, Ive found this place to be really supportive and friendly and hope you will too.
Look forward to more of your posts when you feel ready.:)

paula lynne
06-11-10, 11:16
Hi Tom welcome aboard. Get your welsh flag up boyo x!
Nice to meet you x

Veronica H
06-11-10, 23:46
:welcome:Tom. Glad that you have found us.

Veronicax

Fly away Katie
07-11-10, 10:42
Hello Tom, and welcome to NMP x x x

TDK
07-11-10, 23:30
Thank you everyone for your kind words.

I start at the factory tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed it goes okay :)

paula lynne
07-11-10, 23:37
All the best Tom, let us know how it goes! Welsh.Flag>Now!! hahah xx