PDA

View Full Version : Need Direction with Weight Loss!

diane.jsmith
06-11-10, 15:55
I have the Metabolic Syndrome (or am the Syndrome); heart disease; interstitial lung disease; chronic fatigue and fibro; spinal stenosis, etc. I am morbidly obese and am so very tired of the consummate e-mails about people's credentials. I am 49 years old and need to lose weight. Have tried low carb diets and just don't stick for me. I am unable to exercise much at all due to pain.

Please float me some reading materials, books or plain old good advice regarding a plan for life that includes weight loss. Thanks for your time.

shinderuko
06-11-10, 16:40
http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/loseweight/Pages/Loseweighthome.aspx

Have a look at this Diane, it seems to have lots of information on there and because it's the NHS you can trust it's not just another faddy diet lol.
Good luck, let us know how you get on!

CrazyCatLady
06-11-10, 19:36
My mum doesn't have the same medical history as you, but I know that after many failed attempts at losing weight on her own, she went to her doctor for help.

She ended up on a "space food" diet (prescribed meal replacement) - I'm sorry, I don't know what it's really called, and it might not even be suitable for you, but the point is perhaps your doctor can make some suggestions too? I hope you have a doc that's as helpful.

People are always saying yoga is a nice low impact exercise to start on.

:flowers:

crazyhayz
06-11-10, 19:50
Slimming World are amazing, and can be designed around the specific needs of all individuals, including health problems one might have. It revolves around losing weight but also keeping u healthy, i.e. it focuses on proteins, iron levels, etc etc...

Group really keeps you motivated and good to meet people and helps with confidence. Your never ever hungry either. I lost 3 stone on it in 5 months and i found it so easy.

Light walking is soooo good for life stresses and helps massively in losing weight, even gentle steps in ur local area, fresh air.. etc

Good luck hun xx

crazyhayz
06-11-10, 19:51
I agree with the above poster. Yoga is FANTASTIC, and that can also be desgined around your specific needs and capabilities x

xfilme
07-11-10, 19:52
have you tried slimming world? they have started doing a diet the call "extra easy" whereby you can eat as much as you like of items on the food list and still lose weight. There is a 'sin' point system. you get 15 sins a day.... so long as you stick to it supposedly its easy. my friends been on it for 6 months and lost 3 and a half stone. im starting on it tomorrow because i cant help but love large helpings... but thats ok so long as you stick to the food list, which covers most meat as long as its lean and minimal fat. things like potatoes and pasta are all considered free food so you can eat as much as you like. x

Going home
07-11-10, 20:03
Diane, unusual name for a male but hello, I see from your profile that you joined yesterday, are you sure you have the right forum? If you need nutritional advice it might be better coming from a medical professional in view of all your illnesses? I'd be a bit nervous about giving you dietry advise to be honest, sorry. But good luck with it anyway.

Anna xx

daybyday
07-11-10, 20:06
I don't have any advice.
But I do want the best for you and your health as you are seeking help.
:hugs:With a hug

paula lynne
07-11-10, 20:54
Hi Diane.x
swimming is a great exersice to start with, low impact, non-weight bearing, and just being in the water helps you lose weight due to internal pressures (a life-guard told me that). I wish you well on your journey x:)