PDA

View Full Version : Another Setraline Diary

pretoria
06-11-10, 17:39
Hi guys

My name is Nathan, I was prescribed Sertraline a couple of days ago to help with anxiety, a little depression and quite bad OCD. I have been on Seroxat (paroxetine) before and every time I went on them again the side effects got worse. I was prescribed Seroxat at 13 years old for bad panick attacks, which looking back now was such a harsh drug to prescribe me at that age. I have just taken my 2nd tablet this morning, was prescribed 50mg but snapped the tablet in half as with Michael and a few others on here a combination of a phobia of taking medication and previous bad experiences with ssri's have left me over cautious.

I am thought it might be helpfull to other and to myself to view my progress if I posted a diary on here....

Day 1:

Well compared to Seroxat (and considering I halved the dose to sub-theraputic dose) Sertraline seams to make me feel less sick. Though the spaced out feeling, anxiety and weird head is there. Last night I had a panick attack which felt like lot's of shouting in my head and weird sensations. The yawning I find kind of annoying. Seem to yawn a couple more times than I normaly would and seem to get weird spasm feeling in my chest and forearms and my legs would go a bit weak, anyone else get this?

Day 2:

Took another half tablet, pretty ok day, was in a positive mood, did a bit of dance choreography, played some games too keep me occupied. Had a two hour nap in the after noon and getting off to sleep at night (although a little late due to the nap) didn't seem to difficult.

Day 3:

Since I had a positive day yesterday I thought I would take 3/4 of a tablet and see how it went. Slightly regretting it already. Had a weird head all day and had the nagging feeling like I was gonna freak out. My legs have also felt weak and twitchy, anyone else get this? Had a panic attack and called the ambulance (cancelled it before it arrived because my girlfriend managed to calm me down a bit). Felt as if I was losing myself and and my body felt like it was on fire with cold flames. It's 17:38 and feel anxious. Hopefully I can sleep early tonight. Feel crappy like I'm not myself and the nagging feeling in my head is making me anxious.

KK77
06-11-10, 17:52
I had increased anxiety for a while when I first started sertraline, along with tiredness (which I still get sadly) and general lethargy. I think the twitching and leg weakness is common with some people but it never affected me in this way. I started off on 50mg and felt "out of it" so reduced to 25mg for a few weeks. I'm on approx 80mg now (I cut a bit off the 100mg tablet).

I was also previously on paroxetine and I've found sertraline to be a lot more effective for depression. I'm very surprised that you would be put on paroxetine at 13 as it isn't prescribed for that age group as far as I know.

Welcome to NMP and good luck Nathan.

Andy76
06-11-10, 20:22
Hi

i am on day 5 on setraline and have also halved the dose to 25mg for a week or to before i go to the 50mg dose the doctor has prescribed.
The way it makes you feel is just awful but i will keep going on it because i know i will come out the other end ok.

Today has been the worst day so far, i am taking my tablets as soon as i wake in the morning and about 4.00pm i thought my head was taking off and was going to loose the plot. it passed and i just feel spaced out now.

Does anyone know how long it is best to take the 25mg for before upping to the 50mg with minimal side effects?

pretoria
06-11-10, 20:33
Thanks Melancholia77 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=23731). Yeah looking back I think it was unusual to prescribe me that but I had really bad panic attacks at school so the local village GP prescribed me Seroxat.

Andy76 (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/member.php?u=32182) I have read this quite a few posts on this forum and it seems to be a common thing where people halve their tablet to gradually build up there tolerance level. Going to take another quarter tomorrow and see how I feel. If I have a good day then I will up to the 50mg and I know I will get increasingly worse side effects but I will try to be positive and endure it to get them out of the way :/.

Andy76
06-11-10, 20:39
good luck with the extra quarter.
i wish i could do that, it would just be too much to deal with at work. i have to do this gradually. i went on citalopram about 3 years ago and had to be signed off work for 4 weeks to get through the initial side effects so i know how nasty they can be.
let us know how you get on.

pretoria
07-11-10, 12:19
Day 4:

Really felt the difference between half a tablet to 3/4 of a tablet jump. Sush a restless night on day 3. Kept waking up with mini frights and feeling weird. This happened several times during the night. Woke up this morning feeling a bit spaced out and noticed floaters in my peripheral vision this caused me to have a mini panic attack. Don't feel quite myself, feel like this tablet is going to cause me to freak out. Just took 1/2 a tablet alittle late today I usually take it at 8:30-9:00 but as it's a Sunday I slept in and took at at 12:00 ish maybe I am feeling a bit anxious because I haven't taken it on my usual time. Debating wether I should take the other quarter again and just see if I can manage the side effects. :(

Sammylou
08-11-10, 19:34
Hi there, i have been taking sertraline for 5 weeks at first the side effects were awful and i felt like giving up on them a few times, after about 3 and a half weeks i started to feel better, i still have bad days where i shake all day but my gp has said it can take between 6 and 8 weeks for the meds to get into your system properly. I have had a lot of time off work due to the side effects too.

Sammylou