PDA

View Full Version : Acid blockers

dodo
06-11-10, 18:53
I have been put on omoprazole following a bug I had as I was still feeling sick and the Dr thinks it was reflux as I had had some symptoms of heartburn indigestion.

I have been taking them about a week now and I think things are getting worse. I have pain now up to about my colarbone on both sides of my chest. It feels like I am struggling to breathe at times and I can feel gurgling in my throat as well as something rising up in my gullet.

I am not sure whether to stop taking them as they don't seem to be making a blind bit of difference, in fact the opposite. Or should I give them a bit more of a chance.

I took lansoprazole before and I was worse on them too.

bronte
06-11-10, 18:57
i would stop taking them especially if you were the same with lanzoprozole they are obviously not suiting you have you tried gaviscon or pepto bismol im suffering with the same at the moment but mine self inflicted had too much to drink at a party last night

dodo
06-11-10, 19:20
I have to say I'm not keen on gaviscon as it turns into a rubber plug in your stomach. I think pepto bismol is the same kind of thing. I'm not sure whether you can take indigestion remedies while on the acid blockers as it says not to take at the same time. But don't know if that means not to take at all.

joannap
06-11-10, 19:30
i am on ranitidine and take gaviscon if needed but not at the same time but i think its a different kind of acid reducing drug. if you felt worse on omeprazole then probably this family of drugs does not suit you as lanzoprozole is the same kind of drug as omeprazole x

dodo
06-11-10, 19:33
I've had it in the past and been fine on it so can't really understand. I wouldn't say I'm awful but it doesn't seem to be getting any better IYKWIM. I would expect some improvement after a week. The Dr will want me to take two day if I go back but I've read that not enough acid can sometimes cause reflux problem so don't want to be doing the opposite IYKWIM.