PDA

View Full Version : I just got back from A & E

paula lynne
06-11-10, 22:12
Hi gang what a day...........:weep:
Had terrible throb in my left calf for a week now. Took usual painkillers. Woke this morning and the area is red and hot...DVT THINKS ME..ITS GONNA DISLODGE AND KILL ME!!!!
So I calm down, and tune in to me "rational" mind, not anxiety...
Rang Prime care..A & E they said.:weep:
Its so so hard with agoraphobia.
I was seen in 10 mins, and the first thing the doc says is "do you have cancer, or is there a possibility you have cancer?" WWHHHAAATTT thinks me...
Feeling very faint by now....
He measured my calfs, did the dvt list then did bloods.
All ok, except he left the tournequet on while he withdrew the needle...oh great ...blood everywhere. Paula is feeling very unwell at this point.
Waited in reception for 3 hours...no clot. Thank you God, Im not dying tonight..What is it..? they dont know...maybe cellulitits, phlebitis, (no scratches, bites, cuts)
If it gets worse, gp. So...tonight I dont have a blood clot.
But its still there and I dont know what it is, and it hurts, and is red. But Im ok, trying to stop the "chatterbox" in my head, but its hard to take my own advice. Calming rational thought appreciated tonight please? Thanks x:weep:

paula lynne
06-11-10, 22:23
what I shold have said, or meant to have said is I didnt panic there, but now Im home its kicking in big time and its gonna be a biggy...got my bag, and lavender, but its building up...got my radio on...palps bad now and pins and needles..oh I just cant be sick AGAIN and spend the next 4 hours crawling about the floor...

mabelthemini
06-11-10, 22:27
hun-you have done so well going to A&E-congratulations to you. They have told you what they think-it doesnt sound like they think its serious-please just take time to breathe...you will be ok I'm sure, it must have been scary but its over now..huge hugs for you. xx

daybyday
06-11-10, 22:30
Oh my dear Paula. You have had quite a time.
:hugs: Good to ease your mind of no blood clot.
Could be your adrenaline is still in overdrive.
Can I give that dr. a big kick for mentioning cancer first thing. Not a good bedside approach.

paula lynne
06-11-10, 22:41
Im puffing on my bag,,,....will distract myself...I just dont want to be sick, my little boy is here and hubby is out. breathe breathe breathe..it will not hurt me..my brain feels like is on the blink

KK77
06-11-10, 22:48
Hugs to you Paula - you will be fine - and at least your mind will be at rest that it wasn't anything serious.

nomorepanic
06-11-10, 23:00
Try and slow the breathing down Paula as you already know and it will kick in soon.

Stay on here and do some posts and see if distraction works ok

Well done for coping today though

paula lynne
06-11-10, 23:16
Thankks i will do sum posts now..xxxx

oscar1
06-11-10, 23:50
First of all, well done for getting through today. It must of been really hard. What kind of doctor mentions cancer straight away? Stupid doctor. Just remember to take some deep breaths, and to concentrate on breathing. Do you have any distraction techniques that you usually use? Do you have any chamomile tea? I had a panic attack at 4 am last week and drank some chamomile tea, and it calmed me down a lot.

paula lynne
06-11-10, 23:53
got my cuppa thatnks, radio on. bloody panic...i was doing posts to distact myself, its been...40 mins now, but no vomit yet. but ive just read something really horrible and i replied and now my palps are worst and im fuming...stupid me..im going to ask hubby for cold flannel, hes home now thank God, thank you all for your posts

mandie
06-11-10, 23:55
Awwww hun :bighug1:

well done on going to A&E, good news its now a clot. if its cellulitis then treatable with anti biotics.

love mandie xxx

paula lynne
06-11-10, 23:59
ta mand, i havent got any bites, cuts or scratches, im not sure hoe it could be phlebitis, cellulitis, or anything else ending in itis!! haha..panic abating, had a co-codamol....whheeee!! seriously, its throbbing like h.ll, really hurts..hubby just put deep heat on it, maybe its muscular...oh...nurses do make the WORST patients love..:blush:

mandie
07-11-10, 00:53
It does sound like what my dad had which was cellulitis, of course i dont no what yours looks like but anything to bad and they wouldnt of let you home.

Hope the deep heat works, i hate that stuff lol

Let us no how u are tomorrow

mandie xx

JaneC
07-11-10, 02:35
Hi Paula, hope you feel better in the morning xx

lajjj
07-11-10, 07:30
hi paula well done for getting through that , cant belive the doc said that to you... ! i know its hard but try to relax until you get an appointment , it could be a reaction to a bite or something i know my legs used to swell up pretty bad when i had been bitten xxx:hugs:

Vixxy
07-11-10, 09:48
Hi Paula. You poor thing, but well done for beating the agoraphobia and getting to the hospital. I hope the antibiotics work for you. Hope you're feeling better today x

paula lynne
07-11-10, 10:35
Thanks everyone, Im still here and breathing! haha, radio 2, cuppa in bed, hubbs doing bacon sarnie in a bit, and Im not going to let yesterday put me off or set me back, Im taking my boy swimming at 4pm!

Note to self - WHEN THE WAVE MACHINE COMES ON, ITS NOT ME HAVING VERTIGO!! hahaha xxxxx

Vixxy
07-11-10, 10:43
lol Paula! I always think its me having a dizzy spell when something wobbles. So I can only imagine how a wave machine would set you off XD

Hazel B
07-11-10, 11:07
Hope you have a better day today. x:hugs:

paula lynne
07-11-10, 11:56
Thanks all, its nice to have people who care, and understand, means a lot xx:D

suzy-sue
07-11-10, 12:10
Have a nice day Paula ,.Hope you feel better today .. luv Sue xx:hugs:

ladybird64
07-11-10, 12:17
I didn't see this as I wasn't around..what a total nightmare for you :hugs:

Today has got to be a better day for you, you totally deserve it. Also got to give some serious praise for getting yourself to A & E with the Agora...you know you're on the road back to getting and feeling better don't you?

You keep us posted on how you are. And a quick thank you..you're a real friend with a caring heart. :hugs:

Can I have a bite of your bacon buttie now please? :D

paula lynne
07-11-10, 12:34
I ate the bacon butty youre too late darling x
Thanks Ang, and I hope you are ok, and that your daughter is now fully recovered after such a serious incident. What a horrific time of it you had, no wonder you were as distressed as you were my love.

I think I am on some sort of road forward, Im going out more without thinking about it. Ok, it wasnt pleasant, it was the same hospital mum died at, but I did it and came out the other side!
Looking forward to my swim, or rather...BOB later xxx

ronski
07-11-10, 16:56
Paula I am so pleased it was nothing serious and you did so well going to A&E, it is never easy with anxiety symptoms and sensations and the agoraphobia. I also worked for the NHS in a clinical role for 33 years and I agree we make the worst patients. The reason we know to much and the doctors trying to fob us off with stupid answers falls on deaf ears. I have been told such absolute rubbish to console me at times that I just do not believe half of what doctors tell me. One doctor told me that cardiac exercise treadmill tests were the gold standard and were 99% accurate. I know they are not the gold standard and at best are only 70% accurate. The problem is that most doctors do not really understand anxiety and do not understand how easily we pick things up and then stress ourselves so mentioning cancer was just stupid.
I can certainly relate to your post treatment anxiety on getting home which I believe is due to a chronic hyperventilation from all of the stress. This certainly would give you agitation and a build up of panic. The only thing that may help is to face the panic and accept it, feel the sensations and walk towards it. On feeling the sensations and not fearing them it will abait very quickly. Also check your breathing, make sure it comes from the belly and it is about 12 breaths a min.

paula lynne
07-11-10, 20:32
Thanks Ronski, very informative x
I did go swimming, despite feeling exhausted following last nights events.
Not only did I swim, I went down the massive slide, not that exciting, but if you suffer agoraphobia, vertigo, dizzyness, and panic attacks, it was a big thing...my little boy was well impressed!!

Seeing his little chops smiling at me saying "go on mam...you can do it.." well, thats made my week. Hes so used to seeing my in bed or on the sofa puffing on my paper bag, or having a panic, or vomiting and crying.

Im so glad I took the chance going. Those with kids will understand too, sharing something like that with your child is amazing x:yesyes:

daybyday
07-11-10, 20:39
Hi Paula.,

So Glad you had some fun.

paula lynne
07-11-10, 20:48
Thank you daybyday, it was fun. Hoping to take my grand-daughter next Sunday so I look forward to that. I enjoyed the wave machine too! no vertigo....yes...today was a GOOD day xxxxx:D

shaz14
07-11-10, 20:48
Thanks Ronski, very informative x
I did go swimming, despite feeling exhausted following last nights events.
Not only did I swim, I went down the massive slide, not that exciting, but if you suffer agoraphobia, vertigo, dizzyness, and panic attacks, it was a big thing...my little boy was well impressed!!

Seeing his little chops smiling at me saying "go on mam...you can do it.." well, thats made my week. Hes so used to seeing my in bed or on the sofa puffing on my paper bag, or having a panic, or vomiting and crying.

Im so glad I took the chance going. Those with kids will understand too, sharing something like that with your child is amazing x:yesyes:

Oh Paula you are so right...my son (1 year old) is the only thing that keeps me going most days! Keep on with your recovery so you can enjoy many more good times with him. All the best x

paula lynne
07-11-10, 20:50
aww thanks shaz, it was worth it just to spend time with him, both enjoying ourselves.x
Im glad you have your little one to keep you going, kids are such a blessing, they do keep us going. xxxx:)

MidnightCalm
07-11-10, 21:15
can I ask why they asked if you have cancer?
:|

paula lynne
07-11-10, 21:33
The doctor said dvts are very common with cancer, thats all he said, he didnt elaborate. scared me half to death at the time tho!