PDA

View Full Version : Scared of food...

LaNae
07-11-10, 18:06
I read a couple of books on biology last year as when I was at school I wanted to be a biologist. So I thought it might be useful to take it up as a sort of hobby.

One pop-science book I read briefly mentioned the BSE/CJD drama in the 90's. At that time I was too young to understand it so I ignored it, but now the thought that, potentially, a hidden danger could lurk in our food that we don't know about, that could kill us, wormed its way into my brain and I haven't been able to relax since.

Due to the subject that brought it up, my fear went mostly on meat. I was terrified to eat meat. I'm not a massive fan of it and was an on/off vegetarian before anyway, but today for instance I really fancied a bacon sandwich and couldn't let myself eat it incase I died. I'm fine with seeing others, including loved ones, eat meat- I feel as if they are fine because they are not me, that only I will get this thing and everyone else will be fine. Illogical!

But I can't bring myself to eat meat. It's such a shame. A few months ago the anxiety spread to dairy products, and I was vegan for two weeks. I was scared to death of having the tiniest bit of milk. In rabid hunger I ate a cheese sandwich and the fear went, and focused back on meat. Sometimes it latches onto pesticides in fruit and veg but I know if it does that I'll starve to death so I am just about keeping it at bay.

I really need advice, this is ruining my life. It's not that I am so desperate to eat meat at all, it's just having this horrible, disabling fear of some unknown, apocalyptic horror in my food! I am scared it will turn into a sort of anorexia. Please, please help me! I'm going nuts! :weep:

Going home
07-11-10, 18:15
I think your reasons for not wanting to eat meat and dairy foods are the same as alot of people's, from a health point of view. You're not doing it because you don't want to get fat, or so that you can be in control as with eating disorders. Not eating meat or any animal products is not extreme, and there are alternatives to meat and dairy out there such as soya meat, soya milk, margarine and yougurst etc. Alot of people have fears about the health scares with some of our food so you're not alone with this.

Anna xx :)

LaNae
07-11-10, 18:25
It's not from a nutritional point of view though- at least, not the part I have an issue with. I'm not scared of getting fat as I am one of those people who don't gain weight. But for instance, I can't eat soya. I am not allergic but am terrified it will harm me. I don't want to eat bacon for ethical and nutritional reasons, yes, but fear that it will actually kill me if I take one bite is a bit over the top. I know a lot of people who want to eat healthily but they don't think they will die if they slip up on something :wacko:

mumble
07-11-10, 18:34
I stopped eating the majority of foods as I was worried they'd make me ill somehow. Whether contaminated with something, or gone off. For the last 7 or so months I've only been eating a small selection of "safer" foods to me, such as soy puddings, peanut butter, rice milk, porridge oats and some snack bars. I've not eaten fruit, veg, stopped having pancakes that I liked, yogurts I had, spreads, etc. I've recently braved some old favorites, and got a dairy free ice cream I used to eat, and over a few days conequered it by having small amounts. However I was very scared as it was foreign to me. I have had new biscuits since too. Since this all began I have fallen dangerously low weight and two stone underweight. It is a dangerous path. You can gradually branch out to foods you're not familiar with. But I have now learnt it has made me more ill from my fear of foods, ironically.

Going home
07-11-10, 18:54
Well soya comes from a plant so not sure why you would think it harmful?

Anna xx