PDA

View Full Version : Possibly starting group therapy

charliepanayi
07-11-10, 18:49
There's a chance I might be starting group therapy in the new year (a private group for reasons too dull to go into), just wondered if anyone had any experiences or advice they could share about it. I'm a little bit wary of starting as I'd have to commit for a year at least and the cost over a whole year is a little daunting (I can afford it though) for something I'm not even sure will work! But I'm desperate enough to try anything right now. What can I expect if I do end up in one?

thetube82
08-11-10, 18:42
need more info,............. like what you are seeking help for? who is providing the group therapy? what is the approach? why do you have to commit to a year? etc etc

thetube82

ElizabethJane
08-11-10, 19:18
Hi Charlie I have had group therapy in the past. The committment is usually a year sometimes more. This is to provide continunity within the group which would be lost if people were coming and going. Groups are usually eight persons in number but never more than twelve to allow each person time to speak. You will probably be given a list of 'rules' which might seen harsh. Try not to walk out or 'act out' emotions outside the group. Anything that happens remains in the group so confidentiality is very important to allow trust to develop between you all. I dont know whether you will have one or two co-therapists(sometimes called facilitators) leading the group? They will no doubt analyse what is happening in the group. They will probably summarise what is happening and help out if necessary. Most of the 'work' will be up to you. Circumstances that happen in real life will be acted out within the group. The important thing is to try to work through your feelings. You will become very attached to the group and there will be people that you liike and loath within it too. Some things to remember try no to let one person dominate the group. Do not talk over anybody allow them their space. Always try to contribute something to the discussion remaining silent is costing you money and you will not benefit fully from the group. When it is time to leave you will be given help to work through your feelings about leaving the group. Best of luck it might be quite an emotional time for you but tears are usually healing. Post and let us know how you get on. EJ

charliepanayi
08-11-10, 19:22
need more info,............. like what you are seeking help for? who is providing the group therapy? what is the approach? why do you have to commit to a year? etc etc

thetube82

I'm seeking help for a variety of things - social anxiety, anxiety in general, anger management etc. The group therapy is from some organisation called The Institute of Group Analysis. I think this group is psychotherapy-based (as I did CBT once before on the NHS and once it ended fell right back into old ways, so they thought I should try something different this time). And I have to commit for a year at least as that's what the person running the group (I think there's just one rather than two) wants from new people.

It all sounds a little daunting, but I have a month to decide between that or going for one to one therapy instead maybe.

ElizabethJane
08-11-10, 19:43
Hi again I think that to commit to a years therapy will seem hard in the short term. Is there someone that you go and see first to discuss your suitability to the group?

charliepanayi
08-11-10, 19:47
Well I've seen the person running the group twice now to talk about it, which is why I have to really commit or not by the next appointment. I was referred to her from the NHS (who had no suitable group for me), so I have sort of discussed my suitability with both the NHS assessment person and this woman running the private group.

ljd
08-11-10, 20:13
Hiya,
well done for looking into group therapy thats a start your really brave its can only do some good and help you tc

ElizabethJane
08-11-10, 22:24
It might be a matter of taking the plunge as you won't really know if that type of therapy will help you until several months down the line. It can be easy to get bogged down with the mechanism of the group but primarily it is there to help you talk about and work through some of your problems. It will be nervewracking at first especially if the other members have been attending for a while. I have had a lot of group therapy in the past both as an inpatient in hospital and as an out patient. Some of this was in a leading therapeutic community in London. All have played a part in getting me to where I am today. Do not allow your anxieties to get in the way of attending as it could be very good for you. EJ.

paula lynne
08-11-10, 22:48
All the best Charlie, hope it works out for you, x:)