PDA

View Full Version : Make or break time

Night_Owl
07-11-10, 20:53
I've got to go on a training course tomorrow and just know that I'm going to panic.Like alot of people I avoid situtions where you feel trapped,and being locked in a room allday is one of my worst nightmares.

I have known about this course for several months and have managed to more or less blank it from my mind but as the time gets nearer my anxiety symptoms are starting to show and come tomorrow I'm going to be a total wreck,what makes it worse is that I'm going with my boss so I can't get any freedom or time to myself whilst travelling there and back or during lunch.

So this is make or break time either I get through the day albeit by putting my mind and heart through immense pressure or I totally lose it in front of my boss and its the start of the end of another job that I enjoy I have a feeling its its going to be the latter.

I will let you know how I get on but be prepared for a very distressed,distraught and even a jobless person needing help.

Night_Owl

paula lynne
07-11-10, 21:54
all the best night owl, let us know the outcome x

Dahlia
07-11-10, 22:09
I've got to go on a training course tomorrow and just know that I'm going to panic.Like alot of people I avoid situtions where you feel trapped,and being locked in a room allday is one of my worst nightmares.

What makes it worse is that I'm going with my boss so I can't get any freedom or time to myself whilst travelling there and back or during lunch.

So this is make or break time either I get through the day albeit by putting my mind and heart through immense pressure or I totally lose it in front of my boss and its the start of the end of another job that I enjoy I have a feeling its its going to be the latter.

Night_Owl

Hey Night Owl

I know how you're feeling, been there lots of times! Just some thoughts:

You don't know you are going to panic. You might have panicked in those situations before, but that doesn't mean you will definitely panic tomorrow. Sometimes I've done 'big' things and not panicked at all.

Remember that panic peaks and then goes.

The training room won't be locked. You can step outside if you need to gather yourself. Go to the loo. You can always say you have a bit of a headache if anyone asks (which they probably won't anyway).

Lunchtime with your boss, again, you can always say you found the room a bit stuffy, so are going to take a short walk for some air, and will see him in a bit.

You won't lose it in front of your boss. People can't tell when we're panicking. You may actually find that you are less panicky when travelling with him, for example, as talking creates a distraction.

Try not to overload yourself with fantasies of terrible outcomes, losing your job, losing control etc. (I've done that a lot recently too). Take it, literally, one step at a time. If you are thinking you'll lose your job, you'll make yourself even more anxious. You don't know for a fact that you would lose your job if you panicked.

A day is only 24 hours. This time tomorrow, you will be back home and it will all be over. Remind yourself of that.

Good luck and let us know how fantastically you do tomorrow!

Dahlia

Night_Owl
07-11-10, 23:28
Thanks for the replies.
One of the reasons for leaving my last job was I couldn't attend meetings I struggled with short ten minute ones so an all day affair is going to be real tough.

Thanks for the tips and reassuring words Dahlia I'm an expert when it comes to excuses but there's only so many times you can go to the toilet.I've got more to lose than gain tomorrow but I'm going to give it my best shot.

jothenurse
08-11-10, 12:32
I know you will do fine.

boppers
08-11-10, 14:54
I have to go to a lot of meetings for my job, some of them televised. When I am really feeling anxious or on the verge of a panic attack, I start making lists of things. I do this because to anyone who is watching, it looks like I am just taking really good notes. It helps clear my mind quite a bit. Some lists I've made:

Things I like about myself
Reasons I should have high self-esteem
Places I would like to travel
Places I have traveled (and this lets you recall happy memories from them)
Sensory feelings I like (sand between my toes, warm wooly mittens)

I don't know if this will help you, but it might be worth a shot!

Good luck with your course.

Night_Owl
08-11-10, 20:07
Good news folks...I made it through the day panic free and must admit I even enjoyed myself.:yesyes:

As usual I was expecting the worst,and last night was in a high state of anxiety and didn't sleep well at all,managed a few hours got up and had a relaxing bath which I find really helps and then set off without worrying about the day ahead.

The venue was at a hotel in a large room that had been partitioned off and not claustrophobic at all nor too hot it was a nice relaxed atmosphere and great bunch of people and the thought of having a panic attack never realy entered on the radar.

I'm really pleased with myself as I seem to be making a little bit of progress controlling my panic for the time being anyway but still can't help thinking there's a mega setback just around the corner.

Thank you all for your best wishes and yes Bopper I use the mental list distraction technique but didn't even need that today thats how good I was.:yahoo:

Hazel B
08-11-10, 20:32
Well Done!

I hope it helps next time, you can tell yourself that the fear of the unknown was worst than the outcome. That's what happened with me and anxiety, the anticipation was always worst.

Dahlia
08-11-10, 22:14
That's great news, Night Owl!! I told you you'd be fantastic!

Night_Owl
09-11-10, 10:03
Thanks again,yes the anticipation is always worst,I'm always thinking about and preparing for the worse case senario (as seen in my origional post:)) so when I'm actually in a situation that may bring on panic it doesn't seem so bad.

In the past the anticipation got so bad that I would just avoid anything that wasn't absolutely necessary to attend there was a very slim chance that I could of got out of the first aid course yesterday but I didn't pursue it I just said yes mainly because no one else wanted do it.

I don't want to tempt fate too much but I'm making progress....slowly.