PDA

View Full Version : Winter Blues - That time of year already!

steveo
08-11-10, 18:33
I probably haven't posted here since very early 2010 when the days were dark and gloomy and the weather was too cold for Eskimos.

Well it is that time of year again! Clocks went back and I didn't think much of it but it has hit me a week on. I really have trouble coping and feeling good at this time of year. I really don't like the cold and especially the really dark early evenings.

My good old friend, anxiety and Mr Panic Attack have come back to greet me after a panic and anxiety free summer. I did some incredible things this year which I never thought I would be able to do such as backpack around europe for 2 weeks, sleeping in hostels and night trains.

And now I am having trouble getting a loaf of bread from my local Tesco. Strange how panic works!

I don't want to diagnose myself but I am quite certain I have SAD.

So I thought this could be a thread for all you Winter haters! Maybe a good old rant about this time of year could be a healthy release for us all! Just typing this is helping me already! It would be nice to know I am not alone with these feelings.

I hope you are all well and it is a pleasure to be back on this forum.

Steveo:)

happycamper
08-11-10, 18:40
Hey Steveo,

Well done to you for making your summer as productive and memorable as it sounds!
I agree the winter is tough...just wondered if yourself or anyone else has considered or benefited from a light box? I know they are pricey though...

Clare X

(p.s, I'm a nurse a little further West along the M4)

steveo
08-11-10, 18:54
Ah a fellow nurse :-)

I have thought about it... but I earn £550 a month being a student. My rent is nearly £300 so add some bills, food and petrol on top of that and it doesnt leave much room for a lightbox.

ditzygirl
08-11-10, 19:18
i hate the winter nights - I am defo SAD, but so is my dad.

I have just been out in the dark for a little jog - helps mex

heavenly
08-11-10, 19:46
I definitely don't like the dark nights and this morning, I woke up at 6am, couldn't get back to sleep, the wind was so loud and it was so dark out, it brought my anxiety on. I am really interested in getting some form of light box, there are quite a few on Amazon.

ljd
08-11-10, 20:18
Hiya,
sorry to hear your winter blues i too feel even worse in the winter and so not looking forward to it. I try and hold onto the lovely countries ive visited and take myself back there in my mind sometimes, somewhere warm and freindly and safe. Good for you for going away over the summer.

I love travelling and wish i was away now but thats not posible just now so looking forward to june when i can, i used to go away in feb so will be hard waiting til june. But you got through it this year and you can this year, do u have one of thise heat lamps you can buy to help may be worth is, someone i knew used to use them adn said they are really good. tc

paula lynne
08-11-10, 21:08
Hiya SteveO
Ex-nuero nurse here....it hit me about a week ago, the "blues", and I just can seem to pull myself out of it. It doesnt help its raining all the time here, and so dark. Im an agoraphobic, and suddenly, I FEEL TRAPPED INSIDE!! Strange eh...roll on spring x:wacko:

paula lynne
08-11-10, 21:09
I meant neuro...see...its affecting my spelling too! Blloming winter! x:winks:

stressbunny
08-11-10, 21:27
I read an article recently that said we all suffer from SAD, but it is just a level of how badly. the clock change especially seems to have hit everyone hard this year, even my non anxious friends! I think it is really important to get out (if you can)...the old cliche that there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.... I never want to go out with the dog unless the sky is blue tbh, but I try to recall the childhood memories (not sure if they are real or not?!) of this time of year - splashing through puddles and kicking up leaves:)

Dahlia
08-11-10, 22:31
On the subject of light boxes, you can buy alarm clocks that simulate dawn with 'natural' light an hour or so before you wake up, which is meant to be good for SAD. I don't think they are as expensive as a light box. My sister is trying one, I'll ask how it's going.

supersezza
08-11-10, 23:09
maybe something for all of our christmas lists?! :shades:

blueangel
09-11-10, 09:13
I've used a light box and it definitely seemed to help me. They're not cheap, but it might be worth looking for a second hand one on Ebay, or in the local paper? Sometimes people buy them and then don't use them much, so it might be possible to pick one up cheaply. Or get your family to club together and buy you one as an early Christmas present?

lizzie29
09-11-10, 18:35
I'm the same with winter, HATE the dark and the miserable weather. Add to that the fact that I got stuck in snow last year and got panicky, and I drive an hour to and from work each day, and you have the fact that I'm not exactly looking forward to the next few months! Thank goodness for Christmas!

I've looked at the dawn simulators, seen some for around £70 - anyone got any experience of them?