PDA

View Full Version : breast clinic appt today, anxiety is sky high

jazz25
09-11-10, 12:59
I have my breast clinic appt later this afternoon, was referred by my doctot after I had her check a lump I was concerned about. She said she would refer me for "reassurance" , I'm not sure if its for mine or hers?.! I'm dreading it so much, being an ha sufferer I am imagining the worst scenarios and rejecting the possibilities of it being minor! My shoulders are nearly touching my ears I'm so tense, I'm 25 but feel like my time will be up or something, I tried looking at information regarding the statistics and other causes of breast lumps, but all that did is make me think well I'm gonna be one of the bad statistics. I don't no what to expect at the appt, I'm just full of negativity and fear :(

miggymoggy
09-11-10, 13:07
Hi Jazz
I can completely sympathise. A few years ago I found a lump and they referred me. It's for your reaasurance. If they thought anything serious they would have directly referred you for op or made an urgent appt.
I had mine aspirated and tested, and then was called for an ultrasound, and mammogram but it turned out to be nothing more than a blocked milk duct.
99% of breast lumps are harmless, but they always check them out, which I think is a good thing.
Bet it's nothing to worry about - thinking of you. xx

jazz25
09-11-10, 13:14
Thanks for replying, glad everything turned out to be fine for you. Did you have it all done in the same day? I just can't handle waiting too long for results, as its just more time to.dwell and imagine bad things! X

countrygirl
09-11-10, 14:06
Alot of breast clinics do all the tests same day - some of them can give you results from pathology that day but other can do all the tests and give you a good indication of what they think then you go back a few days later for actual pathology results.

You should get an ultrasound and maybe aspiration today at least.

Remember there is much more chance its harmless at your age.

Please let us know how you get on.

speeder
09-11-10, 21:20
Hi honey

Hope the appointment went OK. I just wanted to send you a remote hug as I know how stressful it is.

I've actually been referred 3 times for such things (and there is breast cancer in my family and I'm 35, so I've way more reasons to be anxious than you). It's just the worst feeling going, waiting, waiting etc...

What kept me (slightly) sane was remember the stasticis. The vast majority of lumps are completely benign - cysts, fibroadenomas etc. In someone as young as you, presumably with no family history, the stastics must be even better. So the odds are stacked in your favour. And even if - the unthinkable happened -and it was a funny lump, it would have been caught so early and you would most likely be fine.

Just bear in mind that to be safe, they often biopsy a lump - don't be scared if they suggest that. It's all OK - just you have to wait (another agonising wait) 2 weeks or so.

Good luck and let us know how it goes

xx

jazz25
10-11-10, 07:54
Hi guys , thanks for your responses, I had my appt, had an examination and ultrasound and all turned out to be normal! I can't believe it , I thought it might have been even something like a cyst, I watched it on screen looking for any shadows and shapes but radiographer said there was nothing to be seen, it is down to normal breast changes and growth, the doc I saw after also confirmed this , I made sure to check a few times that it was definitely nothing and he showed the results to me which said normal ultrasound. They were really nice and didn't make me feel stupid, I was referred by my gp I didn't just go along myself lol, but at least I can move on from this worry now and try and stop poking about for more things to scare me. Thanks for your support guys x x x