PDA

View Full Version : Bulimia Worries

Rach J
09-11-10, 16:14
I've been bulimic, on and off, for the last 10 years, but recently it reared it's head again and I was making myself sick on a daily basis for a few weeks. Naturally, my anxiety and panic have come along with it and my main concern is the damage I've done to myself over the years. I'm aware that repeated vomiting can cause heart problems. I finally went to the doctor last week, explained the situation and had a blood test, I get the results tomorrow. The doc said that as the bulimia has been periodic and not constant, there's less risk of serious damage.

This is why, when I have anxiety or panic attacks I try to tell myself it's just panic but I end up truly believing that it could be my heart because of the bulimia.

Nigel
09-11-10, 17:30
Hi Rach,

“The doc said that as the bulimia has been periodic and not constant, there's less risk of serious damage.”

I’m not an expert but that does make sense. I think the real damage is caused by constant and long term purging. If left unchecked, it can cause many serious health problems; however, I believe heart problems are one of the less common.

It would be a good idea though talk to somebody about the bulimia. Eating disorders usual develop as a way of coping with or blocking out painful emotions, or of taking control of one aspect of life when everything else seems beyond a person’s control.

Reading between the lines when you say – “recently it reared it's head again” – I suspect one such situation was the trigger for it. It doesn’t work when a person tries to give up their ‘coping’ strategy, but it’s possible to learn some better, more effective ways of dealing with those difficult situations.

Take care :)
Nigel

10-11-10, 05:11
I had anorexia for 1-2 years and I have the same worries. My strange heartbeats started during this period as well as issues with IBS and heartburn. Please try to get better because in some ways bulimia is worse, you are messing with your electrolytes which is not good for your body. With my anorexia I feel like I have done irreversible damage to my body, now I am living with the consequences, although they are better then death, which is the only other alternative to eating.

Rach J
10-11-10, 09:21
Thanks for your thoughts guys, everything you've said is spot on. I have had some difficulties in my relationship lately so I guess that must have been the trigger.

My blood test results have come back normal and I'm now being referred for counselling so I feel like I'm going in the right direction. I only wish I'd done this sooner.

Nigel
10-11-10, 17:32
Hi Rach,

I’m glad your test results were OK. And well done for seeking help in tackling the real issues.

Definitely ‘going in the right direction’ :yesyes:

Nigel

Nigel
10-11-10, 17:44
Hi sagremus,

Just wanted to say well done for tackling your anorexia. I know it’s a tough one to beat. And you’re so right in saying that these disorders can result in a lot of unpleasant health problems further down the line.

Hopefully you haven’t done any long term damage. 1-2 years isn’t that long, and I’ve just looked at the numbers you mentioned in your intro post. Yes it was a very low weight, but I think the real damage to the heart and other organs occurs when a person maintains BMI’s of around 13-14 and below. Fingers crossed you might just be experiencing worry and anxiety about might’ve happened. I hope so.

Take care :)
Nigel