PDA

View Full Version : first time diazepam dose 2mg or 4 mg?

The Great God Pan
10-11-10, 11:33
hi everyone, new here, and this is my first post . .
I've been prescribed diazepam 2mg to take before I have a procedure - normally I don't mind local anaesthetics and surgery but this is for a removal of a mole on my neck that I have a phobia about. Sounds strange I know! I have had the mole all my life and it has caused anxiety and stress - going to the hairdressers is a nightmare for example, and I can't stand to touch my own neck let alone let anyone else near it. Finally I decided to get it removed and hopefully remove a load of associated anxiety too. Anyway, I have 2 x 2mg of diazepam to take and I don't know if I should take both or just one ( doc said 1-2 30 mins before op). I do need to be very relaxed and not care about it - I'm scared that I'll still be in a state and won't be able to allow the nurse near me - but I dont want to make myself ill by taking 2 - ie will they make me very drowsy and woozy?. First time I've ever had anything like this. please help, sorry for rambling!

caz1625
10-11-10, 11:41
I use 2mg diazepam for going to the dentist.............I take 1 when I get up in the morning and then 1 20mins before I go.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Carol x

paula lynne
10-11-10, 12:52
Hi Pan, 2mg will be enough to take the edge off your anxiety, and if youve never taken it before, that should be enough for you I think x

The Great God Pan
10-11-10, 13:50
thanks Paula and Carol. I'm thinking of taking just one and if the appt is running late, I'll see how I feel and have one with me incase I still feel panicky. I'll report back here after it all so maybe people in the same position can see how it went. I just can't imagine feeling chilled out about the whole thing, so it's going to be an interesting experiment :ohmy:

The Great God Pan
13-11-10, 21:11
Well, I took one 2mg dose and it took the edge off it all, that's for sure! However, I was still anxious and perhaps a 4mg dose would have been better - but I coped well on just the 2mg, so that has to be a good thing.the worst bit was the local anaesthetic - actually, before that when the doc swabbed the area to clean it was more uncomfortable, as that was the main phobia I had about it all, although the needle was painful. there was a lot of relief afterwards and i feel a sense of achievement now it's all done with. As with everything like this, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

paula lynne
13-11-10, 21:13
Well done, you did it! x:D

paulst
14-11-10, 17:01
Good for you, you have done really well:yesyes: