PDA

View Full Version : Propranolol : Are you more panicky?

Towers
10-11-10, 17:40
Hi,

I have been taking propranolol (for misssed heartbeats) for about 20 months but I feel more panicky now than when I first started it.

Does anyone else find that propranolol has made them feel more panicky?

Thanks.

Hazel B
10-11-10, 18:00
It really helped me for 3 months, calmed my pounding heart and enabled me to calm down a bit, get some counselling, improve my diet and fight the underlying causes. I only had panicky moments first thing in the morning when the Propranolol had worn off.

Maybe your dosage is too low now? Is it worth asking your GP?

sammi
10-11-10, 18:14
What dose are you on? Does it help your missed beats? Iv been perscribed this but scared to take it x

Kerry B
10-11-10, 19:24
Hi Towers

It made me constantly dizzy so it increased my anxiety, I also felt tired I could only stand the side effects for 10 days I was on 40mg a day. The Doctor said it must of made me have low Blood Pressure. But it does get into your system more quickly than antidepressants

Towers
10-11-10, 19:28
Hi,

I'm only on a low dose (40mg) and no it doesn't help my missed beats.
At first when I took it it did help to calm me down - but now over a year later it doesn't really work (my body must be too used to it).
Waiting to see if my cardiologist will give me some different meds.
When I first took them the side effects I got were cold hands/feet but them I am quite a thin person. I never really liked taking any tablets but I'm glad I did (even though these don't work anymore!).

kayleigh
01-12-10, 20:27
Hi,

I have been taking propranolol (for misssed heartbeats) for about 20 months but I feel more panicky now than when I first started it.

Does anyone else find that propranolol has made them feel more panicky?

Thanks.
hi
ive only just plucked up the courage about 15minutes ago to take another of these tablets the doctor gave me 40mg on friday but i had been prescribed 10mg by the doctor in the hospital a couple of months ago so on friday i thought i wouldjust take the lower dosage to see how i felt and i ended up really freakin out thinking my heart was going to stop and my pulse was really weak :weep: so now im freaking out again about the tablet ive just taken...........
is this what you felt like at first ? xx

Del1970
22-12-10, 12:15
I feel dizzy n tired on them, it does scare me too, I also get slight headache but that could be the tiredness, weak arms because they relax me so much, i'm on 40mg twice a day and not quite been on them a week but iv'e reduced the one at night to 20mg, my blood pressure shot through the roof at weekend so thats why the docs upped the dosage to 40mg from 10mg, I went for a follow up check on Monday and my BP and heart rate where fine so my doc has told me to lower them when I feel ready and eventually just have the 10mg for when needed cos am pooped but now i'm scared of lowering the dosage too quickly?
I think all the side effects eventually wear off when your body is used to them - I can tell when they are wearing off because I start getting jittery again and feeling my pulse

Lets hope things even themselves out soon, I'd love to be tablet free and happy go lucky like I used to be!

sarah jayne
22-12-10, 12:53
i tried it and it made me so much worse that i had to stop taking it, never again ! x

M155anthr0p3
27-06-11, 16:59
I feel dizzy n tired on them, it does scare me too, I also get slight headache but that could be the tiredness, weak arms because they relax me so much, i'm on 40mg twice a day and not quite been on them a week but iv'e reduced the one at night to 20mg, my blood pressure shot through the roof at weekend so thats why the docs upped the dosage to 40mg from 10mg, I went for a follow up check on Monday and my BP and heart rate where fine so my doc has told me to lower them when I feel ready and eventually just have the 10mg for when needed cos am pooped but now i'm scared of lowering the dosage too quickly?
I think all the side effects eventually wear off when your body is used to them - I can tell when they are wearing off because I start getting jittery again and feeling my pulse

Lets hope things even themselves out soon, I'd love to be tablet free and happy go lucky like I used to be!

Oh my god what are we like, I feel my pulse too!
I get jittery after 8 hours of taking them & then it's time for another one!!