PDA

View Full Version : Nuero disease progression question?

j2
11-11-10, 01:45
I am a 39 yr old male with a long history of HA. I have had the whole range of symptoms including aches, pains, twitching muscles, balance issues and all kinds of worries about my heart. I have had lots of other stuff but right now I am sure my forearms are losing muscle mass. It looks like my muscles on the top of my forearms are especially thin. My question or fear is, in horrible neuro diseases what point does muscle wasting happen? My strength isn't bad and I do drop things but I don't know if this is anxiety or what. Basically I am freaking out due to a lack of knowledge. Can someone tell me what the usual timeline is for these horrible diseases? Would I have horrible weakness before I had wasting? Any info would be great.

Thanks

j2
11-11-10, 12:09
I hate to be a pain but by the lack of responses I fear that I am the only one dealing with this and therefore it is not anxiety and I am really ill. If anyone can relate please let me know. Thanks and God bless.

Eggy
11-11-10, 12:17
Hi J2 due to my MND fears i have done a lot of research on it and other things and muscles and i can tell you that you would have physical weakness in a hand, arm, leg, foot etc and you would get weakness first before the wasting then during the wasting process you would get faciculations, If you had weakness in your hand or arm for instance you would find it difficult to open bottle tops and jar lids, turning keys and doing up zips etc, I hope that helps and hopefully you are not suffering from any wasting or any neurological disease.

Carly Lou
11-11-10, 12:29
My father in law has a brain disease.... and the symptoms you have said dont point to a brain disease...
he has severe balance issues.... very bad slurred speech, he is basically like a child in a grown mans body sounds harsh but you know what i mean,
i have muscle twitchs etc etc... balnce issues but i know it is due to anxiety xxx
i hope this helps, some how ?? xx

j2
11-11-10, 14:10
Thanks for the responses. I just worry because I do have some forearm weakness but it seems to have been over many years and in both arms. I get periods of one or both weak legs but I don't know I am just losing my mind a little bit at a time and no longer know which way is up. It seems like from what I have read that most of these horrible diseases move relatively quickly and that if I was having muscle wasting then I would be having more problems by now as I have been worrying about this for many months. Any thoughts and thank you again.

speeder
11-11-10, 21:35
Hi J2

I think everything that has been said here is correct. I'm am terrified of *** just now (you might have seen my earlier post, was seen by neuro on Monday). The weakness does seem to come first. I actually know someone with *** and that was how it started with them (not twitching!)

I was really reassured on Monday about my twitching and the neuro specifically said they don't worry about twitching unless there is weakness. Well, of course, I'm now terrified I have weakness and, I promise you, my arm is aching and not working properly the last few days and I'm not sure whether this is actually the start of the nightmare or whether, more realistically, my brain is so stressed it's playing tricks on me. The symptoms are there but I think you can "somatise" them - or at least I hope you can.

I really share all your anxieties and have the same symptoms as you. However, you seem to have had them a long time so it sounds like you are definitely in the clear.

Hope this helps.

crazyhayz
12-11-10, 21:41
Hi j2, Im going through the same thing so ur not alone.

I am seeing a Neurologist soon for the same worries. Have u been referred to a Neuro??

I get twitching, heavy hands, weakness but i dont think its TRUE weakness as i can still hold and lift things etc, i think the weakness is just general tension or my brain playing tricks on me. I get it badly when im in a state of panic so probably is anxiety. My biggest worry if my right arm goes really weird like it goes dead but i can still move it! It feels suddenly unattached to me, like its dead persons arm, its highly frightening. I get burning all over, patches of burning pain, sudden tingling in face and feet, twitching eyelid and lip that comes and goes, loadsssssssssss of things!!!! The wasting thing i can relate to aswell. It looks like my forearms are wasting away too. Its my forearms that worry me alot, as they hurt to press on (do yours can i ask??) and they ache and feel extremely heavy like i cant lift my arm sometimes?? Its so scary. I get this day in day out, and more so when im in a panicky state. I called the ambulance twice with these symptoms thinking 'stroke' or 'brain disease' but they thiunk its panic attacks, even though im not even panikcing when i get it, its AFTERWARDS that i start to panic!! So annoying...

Well ive been referred to a Neuro now, so maybe theyl do some tests and il get some answers. Do u ever get paina anywhere?? ive started getting pains in my neck and arms alot recently... which is worrying. Im only 23 and i go to college full time and have a 2 year old. I try to make myself believe that if i was ill, then these symptoms WOULDNT JUST COME AND GO WOULD THEY????? and i wouldnt be able to function normally in everyday life....and i seem to cope okmgetting up, sleeping, etc etc.

I dont know, i spose i just worry coz the symptoms are so real and i dont even feel anxious when i get them...do u??

Im always freaking out, wanna see a neuro but so scared of the results.

Why dont u have a word with ur doctor and get a neuro referral? put your mind at ease x