PDA

View Full Version : Agreement for all Healthcare Professionals with HA

11-11-10, 03:21
As a healthcare professional I can assess my own vitals, listen to my own lungs, heart, bowels, etc. I think this information in my own hands is very dangerous. For example I am constantly checking my capillary refill time or listening to my heart. Also, I used a vital signs machine today and saw that my oxygen saturation was slightly low, heartbeat high, and possibly high blood pressure. This sent me into a panic!! Re-tested my blood pressure 5 times when I got home tongith and it was slightly elevated -- duh, because I'm really stressed and freaked out!!

So I am making it a goal to NOT assess myself or attempt tests or diagnosis on myself. I cannot be unbiased with myself, therefore I will let other trained professionals do the job. Also I will refuse to provide assessments, diagnosis, etc for any of my loved ones. I just can't do it. It's driving me crazy, making me worry and increasing my stress levels.

So from now on there is no more pulse checking, listening to my heart and lungs, or BP checks. No more assessments. I scheduled an appointment with a doctor on Friday to get my heart checked, which has been a major concern for me these past few weeks (chest pain and skipped beats).

This is my goal, tell me what you think

suzannacorfu
11-11-10, 07:10
Hi Sagremus,
I think that you are very very brave and are well on the way to beating HA. I too am/was an HA sufferer and lived with a doctor for 7 years. My way "out" of HA was that I never, ever, ever, not ONCE in 7 years asked him about any of my symptoms. I understand completely where you are coming from and I wish you all the very best in getting better. I still have some HA thoughts but now I just really accept them and move on although they are not anywhere near what they used to be. Back in the day I would be gripped by terror like a rabbit caught in the headlights!!
Anyway GOOD LUCK!! You can do it
Suz xx

blueangel
11-11-10, 09:16
Hi sagremus - I very much agree with your approach. We can't view ourselves objectively, which of course is why doctors aren't allowed to treat themselves or their families.