PDA

View Full Version : how long do panic attacks last

lorraine
11-11-10, 13:43
hi

had panic attack yesterday with fast heart rate it went on for about 1 hour is this normal? Wondered how long other peoples last.

Lorraine

paula lynne
11-11-10, 13:45
Hi lorraine, an hour is "normal", whatever that means, but some people get "the slow burn", it starts out the same, but doesnt reach the same intensity...and can last for several hours x

Joexgee
11-11-10, 13:48
hi lorraine, yes its normal! i had a really bad one the other day, it started after dinner and i didnt feel myself again till after teatime, it was horrible! :blush: it felt like i had something really wrong with me i was shaking for two hours. then i it just seemed to vanish as quick as it came on :unsure:
hope u are ok now xxx take care

lorraine
11-11-10, 16:32
hi

thanks for your replies. Did you have the fast beating heart for the hour? sorry to keep asking but soooo stressed today.

lorraine

shaz14
11-11-10, 21:22
I had one last week where i could feel it coming on throughout the evening but kept trying to distract myself until I fell asleep but then it 'got me' at 1am! I was pacing around the bedroom for 2 hours solid, with my heart beating fast and the scary unreal feeling like I'm going mad. I even had to phone my friend to try to calm me down as it just wasn't subsiding. That was the worst one I have had for a while as usually they only last me about 20 mins. I think it just depends on other factors such as if you've had a particularly stressful day as to whether you can think positively and get rid of them quicker. Thats just my theory anyway :)

NoPoet
13-11-10, 23:09
There is no normal duration for panic attacks. Everyone is totally different, we experience panic attacks for reasons that are unique to each of us. They can last anything from a few moments to hours to days. In many ways, having a "blip" is like having an extended panic attack.

sammi
13-11-10, 23:42
They can last a while hun x

PrinceOfWorry
16-01-11, 10:17
I had a really mean one that lasted about 2.5 hours once. Felt like I was on the edge of dying, like my skin was suffocating me and my blood was freezing to ice. Like I was being throttled by my own heart. Ugh.

I found that getting more sleep and eating a better diet made a HUGE difference in the number and severity of my attacks.

NervousNellie
16-01-11, 23:55
When I had my worst panic attack, it was when my GP sent me to the hospital to have my heart tested. I freaked out and panicked for over 8 hours.....the only thing that happened at the end of the day was that I was exhausted!!!

nomorepanic
16-01-11, 23:59
panic attacks cannot last for hours but anxiety can linger after a panic attack

They are totally different things.