PDA

View Full Version : New Medication

elainey70
11-11-10, 14:15
Hi

I suffer from general anxiety and have been on 20mg of seroxat for 7 weeks with it being increased to 30mg last week. i went to my docs yesterday to collect my prescription for seroxat and was also given a prescription for Quetiapine 25mg. The receptionist told me my psychiatrist had send a letter for my gp to prescribe these. This medication is an anti-psychotic but apparantely can also be used for anxiety. Has anyone else every been prescribed these. At no time has my psych consulted me on this so i'm confused.

ems43
11-11-10, 15:28
Hi there, I wouldn't worry,it is very common for professionals to prescribe low dose antipsychotics for severe anxiety. It is not to imply your psychotic and your psychiatrist should definetly have gone through this with you. Perhaps you could give him/ her a call to ask the reason they decided on this medication. Though, I assure you low dose antipsychotics are used regularly for severe anxiety- it would need to be a very high dose for it to work on someone with psychosis. xx

heavenly
11-11-10, 17:01
Hi

I suffer from general anxiety and have been on 20mg of seroxat for 7 weeks with it being increased to 30mg last week. i went to my docs yesterday to collect my prescription for seroxat and was also given a prescription for Quetiapine 25mg. The receptionist told me my psychiatrist had send a letter for my gp to prescribe these. This medication is an anti-psychotic but apparantely can also be used for anxiety. Has anyone else every been prescribed these. At no time has my psych consulted me on this so i'm confused.

I have been suffering with anxiety attacks the past 3 months. My GP put me on 2.5mg Olanzapine a day, its an anti-pyschotic. Its a non addictive tranquiliser. She had no qualms at all about prescribing it to me and said its very effective. I am not worried about being on it. Made me a little drowsy at first but generally it helps with anxiety. Hope that helps.

BubbleBonce
11-11-10, 19:08
Hi Elainey,

I have a similar prescription. Standard 'on their own' antidepressants weren't working for me. I have anxiety & depression. My GP wrote to a psychiatrist & I was given a choice of 3 antidepressants plus which ever one I chose to also take 25mg Quetiapine then increasing to 50mgs after a month.

So I have a similar prescription to you & it came from a psychiatrist. Seriously it is a small dose of the Quetiapine and it seems popular to boost the effect of the antidepressant. I've been taking them over 2 weeks now and no bad effects. Fingers crossed they work!

Bubble

elainey70
11-11-10, 20:32
Hi Bubble,

what AD are you on and do you think quetiapine is helping with your anxiety.

thanks

Elaine

alicegreen
11-11-10, 20:38
Hi, I am on Sertraline and initially was also taking olanzapine.

The olanzapine just stopped the anxiety completely, it was amazing! I had not slept for weeks (well, no more than 2-4 hours a night) and the first night that I took it I slept right through until 10am, didnt even hear hubby taking the children to school!

It is really common for these newer type of antipsychotiocs to be used for anxiety, I am sure that it will help you, so please dont worry about taking it.x

elainey70
11-11-10, 20:42
Hi Alice,

Thanks for the reassurance, i havent slept for weeks so hoping it will help.

Elainex

BubbleBonce
11-11-10, 20:59
I'm on 20mgs Paroxetine (Seroxat). I chose that one as it did work for me along time ago, although I couldn't sleep at the time, so I thought with the addition of the Quetiapine it would be OK.

I work with people with mental health issues and 25 or 50mgs is really a tiny dose.

I do think it was unfair for the receptionist to tell you your meds had been changed. I would have thought it better for your GP to tell you directly.

I didn't have so much a problem with anxiety as depression but it might be helping. Early days really.

Bubble

lentils
11-11-10, 22:46
hi bubblebonce i suffer from phycosis and have to take 100mgs 3 times daily yours is a small dose to help with anxeity take care . lentils... :)