PDA

View Full Version : So so fed up of health anxiety - any advice?

speeder
11-11-10, 21:55
I'm just at rock bottom right now with my health anxiety. My family have pretty much said "shut up" (and who could blame them) and it's affecting my marriage (husband has had enough of it) and I feel work is suffering too because I'm constantly watching my hands/legs/muscles because of my current ALS obsession.

I'm at my wits end. I so want to change and lighten up but I don't know where to start. I am not on any medication and really don't want to speak to my GP about this. I don't want it on my records.

Has anyone tried any private therapy or CBT? Is that worth a shot? Any other suggestions? Has anyone actually got better from this?

Thanks for any suggestions

cattttt
12-11-10, 01:32
I've been having private therapy with a psychologist, it's really helping, costs heaps, but it's worth it. She's a gem, understands that money is a problem and lets me email her between sessions. A few weeks ago, I was a mess on the way to work and rang her first thing in the morning, she came into town to sort me out. You might not find one like this, but talking really helps.

bexy1970
12-11-10, 09:27
hiya, my health anx was ruining my life too!! i know you dont want meds but changed my antidepressant and am now on citalopram and it has changed my life!!! and all my family have not iced!! i dont obsess nemore and am enjoying life again!! xx

Groundhog
12-11-10, 12:08
Can only echo what catttt has said. I to am seeing a psycologist and it has workd wonders for me. they get you thinking outside the box.

pammy1944
12-11-10, 12:30
im doing CBT and its very very good for health anxiety .............good luck xx

ace10
12-11-10, 12:33
i'm on a waiting list for CBT. Really cant wait to start it. Sounds like it really helps a lot!!!