PDA

View Full Version : why

jaded jean
12-11-10, 19:30
I have been back at work since July after 8 months off with GAD and Depression, I had a shakey start and now I was feeling pretty confident to do my work in my time, I found out one of my work colleagues was prescribed citalopram -same as me so- I started to support her. told her what to expect and how to deal with the feelings and reactions she might get- just general support really, I started going out on her work days with her when I had finished my lot for the day, But now I feel as if I have taken a backward step in my recovery. I only did ths as I knew what my friend woud be going through and this happens, Was this a mistake??:shrug:

Nigel H
12-11-10, 19:47
It's possible that attempting to help someone else has brought you face to face with your own issues again.

It's possible this will subside if you continue - and I would suggest you stay aware of what's going on inside - since if it happens to worsen your condition it will be counter productive for you ... AND your friend.

It may be that the best way you can help is to step back and recommend someone else with suitable training/knowledge helps them with their problem(s).

Nig

jaded jean
12-11-10, 20:00
Hi Nigel.
It is a precarious situation I suppose - we are more feeling when like this and I dont like to see anyone else suffering like I had been.
I think- well I know your suggestion is right for letting someone else take the reigns so to speak and help my friend to conquer her anxiety /dep in her own way and I should just look after Jean. I have calmed down a bit now -that could be due to 10mgs of Amitryptiline but I dont mind. Today I felt as if I was being dragged down the slippery slope of despair again and I dont want it.
So the premise of the day and the weekend will be focus and belief of my recovery.
Jean

Vixxy
12-11-10, 21:33
Hi Jean. I think it's time for your friend to look after you for a while. Tell her how you feel and maybe you can both talk your way out of this :) You will be fine.
Try to focus on the good things you've been doing, not worrying about the slope back to ill health. Every time you start to get negative, flip it and make yourself think of how far you've come and how far you can go in the future.

Jabz
13-11-10, 04:33
Hi Jean,

what an amazing and interesting post, this goes through my head ALL of the time. You see I am doing much better with anxiety/panic, however I come on this forum to try and help people and i read through thread's of symptoms and people feeling generally sad. I always think that i might be jeopardizing myself by reminding myself of these things or kind of adding fuel to a fire that i was sort of able to put out. Also, i have a friend and i help her a lot with anxiety because she is coming off med's and it also makes me feel like i sometimes am taking a step backward.

However, all of that aside, i think it is actually good practice to bring anxiety closer to you so you can have more practice with just "accepting" it, meaning just being with it. It is a good way to retrain your brain to be able to not react to things that remind us of anxiety. I personally see it as a good challenge.

So that's how i tend to look at it, plus helping other people feels much better than ignoring people because you don't to jeopardize yourself, if everyone did that, then this forum wouldn't exist.

jaded jean
13-11-10, 09:57
Jabz.
Its an irony I think as we get better -yes we feel we are ready to take on anyone elses problems and we will cure them , but my gosh it comes back at you . After my shift had finished whilst accompanying my friend I was experiencing the dreaded intense tiredness and woud fall asleep-writing it now I realise that it was connected but did not assocoiate it at the time. I also think that if you embrace and accept it thats half the battle won. But try telling me that. I am fine whilst inthe midst of it all but when I am on my own the dark cloud descends-THAT is the part I cannot handle and find I am crying more. But imparting advice is good for me and I will continue to do so .
Jean