PDA

View Full Version : Butterflies/Roller coaster feeling.

Vonnie
12-11-10, 21:45
Hi there.
I am new to this forum, and would like to know if there is anyone who suffers from the same feelings that I have been getting since I was a child.

If I have to travel in a car, bus or train (or anything that moves without me being in control) I get a sudden rush of intense butterflies in my stomach. It`s like the feeling you get when you drop when you are on a roller coaster. I just want the vehicle to stop straight away and it just gets worse if it`s not possible to stop.
It has made my life hell and I avoid travelling whenever possible. It has got so bad that I have been known to open the car door when my husband has been driving on the motorway. It really frightened my poor husband and me and I`m scared to death that one day I`m going to cause a serious accident.

Am I the only person to get this feeling? My GP is no help at all.

Vonnie

alicegreen
13-11-10, 23:22
Hi Vonnie,welcome to NMP.

It sounds to me exactly like a rush of adrenaline caused by your fearof not being in control. The best thing to do is not to fight it,let it wash over you, take some deep breaths and tell yourself (out loud if need be) that you are fine,you are safe etc.
Look at some of the links re symptoms in the left margin, they will reassure you I am sure.

Best wishesx

alex92
06-08-13, 10:50
Hi Vonnie,

I get exactly the same feelings. i avoid driving people in the car because of this feeling.

It feels self inflicted though. If i think about it it will happen. But if im distracted then it doesn't.

I can get it in any situation even talking people face to face. I will suddenly get a rush of the stomach feeling and then tense up and have to look away.

I know you messaged about this a long time ago, so i am just wondering if you have been able to do anything about it? any advice?

because im anticipating this feeling happening when im driving, i am getting anxious and nervous every time i step in a car!

Alex