PDA

View Full Version : ATOS Update - interesting

ditzygirl
13-11-10, 13:10
As many of you know I tried to attend my Atos medical a few weeks ago and failed miserably.

With the help of my GP and my persistence I managed to get a home visit.

I have to say I was apprehensive about having a strange bloke in my house but you have to do these things. OH was at work.

Anyway turned out to be a very interesting discussion. He told me that the people like him who do the medicals are ex medical people, anything from GPs , consultants, anaethatists etc and their job is to talk to you and write a report - they in no way make a decision about your benefit.
He did make it clear that Atos, DWP and the Government have little understanding or concern for mental illness such as anxiety and depression.

He also confirmed that there is no guarantee that any sufferers will get benefit - which we know.

He was very nice and he was very understanding to my plight and told me to be prepared to fight for my benefit and not to be bullied into going back to work.

He also told me to use the NHS as much as possible. I hate going to the doctors for anxiety help, i know what the problem is and the cause and feel i am wasting GP's time. He told me to use GP's as much as possible - it is GP's job to support me!!!

Not sure if this is helping anyone but this chap was a retired GP, held no punches and I really liked his honesty. Wont help my lack of finances but I feel the meeting was about more than just whether I deserve to paid my benefit.
I feel quite empowered about what I am fighting for and why.

Vixxy
13-11-10, 15:12
Hopefully he will have written a decent enough report to allow you to get benefits still. I've had a few assessments and never had my benefits removed. In most cases the people on these forums that are being kicked off seem to have worse problems than me, so I have no idea how they decide who gets what.
Good luck though!

ditzygirl
13-11-10, 15:52
thank you, claiming benefit is not my choice nor many peoples I'm sure. the fights I have had with Atos call centre staff is just unbelievable so i was relieved to hear a true account of how the system works.

He wrote lots and had a real understanding of anxiety and depression and how to write the report so fingers crossed. His conversation too got the best from me - it was obvious that i am not faking etc.

Fingers crossed - I might even be able to replace my holey jeans!!!lolx

Nigel
13-11-10, 16:06
Hi Ditzy,

Well done!! :yesyes:
Sounds like it was a useful and interesting meeting.

“He also told me to use the NHS as much as possible. I hate going to the doctors for anxiety help, i know what the problem is and the cause and feel i am wasting GP's time. He told me to use GP's as much as possible - it is GP's job to support me!!!”

Suppose the point is, you’re entitled to ask your GP for help and he should be able to offer suitable support, like therapy of some sort. If they don’t, they’re almost wasting your time too.

It’s a bit like going in with a broken leg and being told, “Sorry, we don’t do broken legs, but here’s something for a tummy ache.” I know now isn’t the time to expect massive new spending on mental health care, but that’s what should’ve happened years ago.

Take care :)
Nigel

ditzygirl
13-11-10, 17:36
Thanks nigel, i have to say it wasn't as i expected. he also talked me through sertraline too - i really like people who are honest - you dont have to be rude or nasty.

I really appreciate him taking the time to tell me how the system worked - not sure he would have done that if i had made it to the Atos office!!!!!!

Anyway thought it might be of interest to others - i know many are struggling.

ButterflyWings
18-11-10, 22:21
ive got an appointment soon , im tired of worrying about this
its nice to hear that you actually spoke to someone who became a medical professional for the right reason, i think bedside manner is so important,