PDA

View Full Version : Aromotherapy Oils

eloelo
14-11-10, 00:30
Thought i would share with you the following :
for you lot that suffer panic/anxiety etc you might, like me have tried everything from E.F.T,meditation,breathing,hot baths etc etc to try and eliviate the symptons of panic/anxiety
I am trying to find a natural remedy to treat them (if it exists)
Last week i was browsing in a shop near me http://www.little-luxuries.co.uk/
when i decided to ask the woman for her advice on panic/anxiety. Turned out she was really helpful and in the end i walked away with a little pot of natural oils to try and relax me, it smells lovely and contains Lavender,Frankinsense & geranium, i massage it on to the souls of my feet, my chest and back before i go to bed, i have to admit since using it for a week i have felt better than i have in ages, apart from tonight but i have only had 1 panic attack in a week, usually its 2/3 a day !! i dont know if its my brain associating the smell as something calming or if aromotherapy oils really do work
I just thought i would share this with other sufferers who may be looking for an alternative to drugs given to them by the Doc that do nothing but mask the problem but not treat it !! ( i am currently on Propanalol, and diazepam but again havent touched diazepam since using this oil)
I am off there again tomorrow to add the natural bath oil to my collection and see if that helps further.
I know i have rambled on but i really hope this might help some one in thier quest of beating/coping with this awful disorder
:bighug1:big hugs to fellow sufferers, xx

gaaron
14-11-10, 00:46
Hi, thanks for that info. I'm thinking of doing the same. A few years ago I used Kava Kava (banned in the UK now). That really helped my muscles to relax and helped the 'cycle'. Over the years I've been treated for depression but I now realise it's anxiety etc that causes the depression (my thoughts). I've never actually told my doc about panic attacks, frightened of crowds (well actually any more than three constitutes a crowd to me) etc.

blue moon
14-11-10, 06:27
Hi,I too use Francinscense and lavender works for me my francinscense is like my security blanket,I get it sent from Iran.
Petra x:)

pinkpiglet
14-11-10, 07:21
Thanks for sharing! I will check this out!! :)

paula lynne
14-11-10, 09:04
Hiya, I only use lavander, so this is a great link for me, I love oils. Thanks x

eloelo
14-11-10, 10:37
im glad i have managed to pass on some useful information to you, i previously only used Lavender but then i was told about Frankinsense, apparantly it is used my some midwives to help relieve anxiety in mothers in childbirth. I know its very expensive though so to have it blended in an oil really helps, and my little jar of blended oils was only £7.50, il pay anything to rid the anxiety and panic attacks, so this is a small amount. They also deal with Reiki too which i might look in to next ... keep you al posted

Vixxy
14-11-10, 11:57
I use lavender, Bergamot and an anxiety blend. The anxiety blend has Cederwood, Majoram, Lime, Vetiver and Ylang ylang.
I just use them in an oil burner though. not on my skin.
Maybe that's something I could try

jada
14-11-10, 17:22
What a lovely thread...and very timely :)...Just a few minutes ago, before I logged in to the forum, I was ordering an aromatherapy oil burner from amazon (very pretty porcelain one with butterfly and flower shaped holes for the candlelight to shine through) Tomorrow, I was planning to buy some bergamot oil.

I have discovered that Earl Grey tea is infused with bergamot and have just enjoyed sipping a calming cupful :) Mmmmm. Tastes yummy too!

Dizz
14-11-10, 18:55
Hiya Eloelo

Qould love to try the oils as they sound lovely. Were they expensive?

Can you tell me if they specifically mixed the different oils for you or are they sold ready mixed? I just went on their website thinking I could buy them online as I don't live near there but I don't think you can cos I couldn't find them.:blush:

Not sure if I could just buy the oils from somewhere and mix them together myself as I guess I may get the mix very wrong... could that be bad...:shrug:

Sorry for the daft questions but I don't know anything about aromatherapy and I've banned myself from google ha ha :roflmao:

jada
14-11-10, 19:10
Not sure if I could just buy the oils from somewhere and mix them together myself as I guess I may get the mix very wrong... could that be bad...:shrug:

I think your best bet is to buy your oils from Boots or Holland and Barrett, that way you can be sure that you are getting the pure essential oils rather than an inferior imitation type oil that won't work nearly as well (if at all :shrug:)

A bottle, on average, costs round about £5. Holland and Barrett have got them 'on sale' at the moment so they are slightly cheaper. They also sell the mixer oil which is about £3....that's for using if you intend to massage it on to your body.

You can use neat essential oils (in water) in an oil burner :yesyes:

jada
14-11-10, 19:26
Just found this useful bit of info...hope it's helpful :)

The following is recommended to treat stress related symptoms:

Mental exhaustion

10 drops bergamot oil
20 drops geranium oil
10 drops ylang-ylang oil
5 drops frankincense oil
5 drops cedarwood oil
Add the ingredients to the entire bottle of Basic Massage Oil. Shake well to mix.

Anger, Anxiety
Basil, bergamot, chamomile, clary sage, cypress, frankincense, geranium, hyssop, jasmine, juniper, lavender, marjoram, melissa, neroli, ylang-ylang

Depression
Basil, clary sage, grapefruit, jasmine, lavender, melissa, neroli, rose, sandalwood, vetiver, ylang-ylang

Insomnia

Basil, chamomile, lavender, mandarin, marjoram, melissa, neroli, petitgrain, rose, sandalwood, thyme, ylang-ylang

Nervous Exhaustion

Basil, cinnamon, citronella, coriander, ginger, grapefruit, hyssop, jasmine, lavender, lemon grass, peppermint, nutmeg, rosemary, ylang-ylang

Nervous Tension

Basil, bergamot, cedarwood, chamomile, cinnamon, frankincense, geranium, jasmine, lavender, marjoram, melissa, neroli, palmarosa, rosemary, vetiver, ylang-ylang

Other than massaging, the goodness of Essential oils can also be availed by:

Inhaling a few drops placed on a handkerchief or pillow, or in a bowl of hot water.
Spraying a few drops onto a cotton ball placed on a hot radiator, or a vaporizing ring placed on a light bulb.
Alternately, a few drops in a hot bath can relax muscles and ease aches, insomnia and arthritis.
Use of essential oils should be done strictly under medical advice if you are pregnant or have a medical condition

Dizz
14-11-10, 22:43
Hiya... thanks for that I'll pop inot H&B this week as there's one not far from us :yesyes:

Good job you mentioned the carrier oil though cos I'd have just rubbed the neat stuff on myself :blush:

eloelo
15-11-10, 19:07
Hi, the oil I am using is already blended and ready to put on the skin. The ingredients of this blend is sweet almond oil, frankincense, lavender and geranium essential oils. It's hand blended with no artificial colourings or fragrances, no sls or parabens and not tested on animals. I find that some you buy on the high street have extra bits in that are not needed. Hence why I like this one as it's 100% natural. The lady who sells it us also a qualified aromotherapist so also advises the best ace to apply for maximum results. I honestly can say it's helped, plus it makes me actually sit down and do so
something for ME when I'm massaging it in before bed. Def worth 7.50. If anyone is Interested I am sure you could call or emal her and she would post it. X x

Dizz
15-11-10, 19:26
Hi again

<y other half reminded me that I had bought 2 roll-on oils the other week from the chemist, one for stress one for energy and one for sleep... ooops I forgot I'd bought those.

Anyway just read the back of them they are full of all sorts stuff including chemicals and other man made things that I can't even say....definately NOT 100% natural that's for sure....Mmmmmm

I'll give the place you mention a ring tomorrow and see if they will post me some of theirs as they sound really good.

Thanks x x xx x

eloelo
15-11-10, 22:39
Yes you have to be careful when you buy things even from aces like holl & barr and boots because things that seem natural aren't when you actually study the Ingredients list, hence why I went for this one, it's called "all relaxed" massage oil 100 ml bottle. I use it every night before bed and massage it into the soles of my feet, shoulders, chest, neck and back and evenon the tops of my arms. I have def had less panic attacks since using it and find it a lovely relaxing smell before bedtime. Hope u have some luck either getting some or being recomended somewhere similar you might be able to get some from. X x

paula lynne
15-11-10, 23:01
I use madarin oil in my burner during the day, its like sunshine in a bottle. It doesnt appear to have a stimulating effect on my anxiety either, bonus x:D

paula lynne
15-11-10, 23:03
Just a quick note, clary sage is not supposed to be used in any way if you have high blood pressure, a qualified aromatherapist told me that. xx

suzy-sue
15-11-10, 23:28
There was an article in the paper recently about Jasmine being excellent for depression .So maybe worth trying if you suffer from SAD this winter .
Sue x

Dizz
16-11-10, 08:16
Just a quick note, clary sage is not supposed to be used in any way if you have high blood pressure, a qualified aromatherapist told me that. xx

I have high BP (well I usually do but it was 106/64 this morning....irrelevant to theis topic soz but I've typed it now:doh::roflmao:)

Sp thanks for the info re clary sage :winks: x x x