PDA

View Full Version : Amongst Friends!!!

Berti
16-11-10, 12:15
Good morning everyone

I am just new to this website over the weekend and I am so glad there are other people I can talk to that understand and are already going through what I am going through.

I too have been on citalopram for a couple of months now and recently just started beta blockers :blush: I feel sometimes I have no quality of life with this generalised anxiety disorder that I have been suffering from since about June of this year. I find it really hard to settle when I am at my height of anxiety, if only I could deal with the symptoms, I have done and continue to do Cognitive Behav therapy which is brilliant, this helps me control my thoughts. I have managed to get on top of my sleeping habits but the knots in my stomach and the restless legs are the main debilatating things I suffer from.

It is good to know I am amongst friends on this site and I look forward to being able to talk to you all more. :winks:

Speak soon and take care everyone xx :)

nomorepanic
16-11-10, 12:16
Hi Berti

A huge warm welcome to nmp.

You'll get loads of advice and support here and make some lovely friends along the way.

Best wishes

paula lynne
16-11-10, 12:34
Hi Bertie, its nice to know you, welcome aboard!:welcome:

arsenal123
16-11-10, 12:47
:welcome: Bertie

paulst
16-11-10, 14:25
Hi Berti and welcome to the forum.:)

JennyR
16-11-10, 18:36
good evening,

my situation sounds similiar - I have been suffering from anxiety/panic attacks for the last few months, I have had my up/downs and I have tried citropram and fluxetine but I suffered badly with side affects and stopped both so this has really put me off anti depressants, so i am going to try beta blockers and hope that this work and I am also waiting to start cognitive behavioural therapy. So I am hoping this will work along with a positive attitude - so wish me luck as I plan to start a fresh tomorrow, starting by taking small steps, as I have been staying at home alot as I have been going through a real bad patch but I have realised enough is enoush want to get my life back :)
good luck everyone

Berti
17-11-10, 09:50
Well done jenny, your positive attitude is to be commended!!!! :yesyes:

I really think the CBT will help you it certainly helps me control my mind, if only I could control my body, that the worse thing for me is the continued nervousness and feeling of dread, I am thinking it is down to PMT personally for me. I feel worse in the morning an better at nighttime. I dread going to bed at night cause I know I have to get up in the morning!!!

I wish you every luck with the CBT, keep up with it, it will help you change your mind thought differently.

Take care, speak soon xx :)

Veronica H
17-11-10, 10:18
:welcome:to NMP Berti
Try this from Paul Mckenna..... imagine the panic as a wheel spinning upwards from the centre of your stomach. At the moment it is red (panic)but now turn the wheel blue(calm) and reverse the spin as it flows back towards you. This is an illness of how we think, and as panicers we have powerful imaginations, so make yours work for you. The attacks will be less severe as you learn to accept them and not add fear to the mix. Fear produces adrenaline which keeps the nerves sensitised, and so the cycle continues. You are not alone with this and it will pass.

Thoughts become feelings very quickly with this illness as our nerves are so sensitised. It is fear which keeps this cycle going. There is a brilliant book by Dr Claire Weekes;SELF HELP FOR YOUR NERVES published by Thorsens ISBN 0-7225-3155-9.This is available from the NMP shop. Dr Weekes was a physician and scientist. She was a fellow sufferer (nominated for the nobel prize for medicine) and really understood this illness. She took the mystery out of it, and devised a simple programme for recovery. I can't recommend this enough.( It is a bit old fashioned, but still so relevant).
Here is a link to her site;

http://www.drclaireweekes.co.uk/

Another book which has really helped me is;

Matthieu Ricard ' Happiness...a guide to developing life's most important skill ' published by Atlantic ISBN 978-1-84354-558-3.He is a French Buddhist monk and a very accomplished man....here is a link to one of his talks.....

http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ri...happiness.html (http://www.ted.com/talks/matthieu_ricard_on_the_habits_of_happiness.html)

This will get better. Veronicax

Berti
17-11-10, 14:40
Thanks for your reply Veronica xx